Extreme Brexit could be worse than financial crisis for UK: BoE

webfact

Slightly off topic, this is an excellent piece on the UK's university education fiasco. I fully agree with the conclusions. 

University education iconoclasts should skip to something more suitable ????

4 hours ago, aright said:

irish stew.PNG

Does the scene continue with a vote to send her back to the kitchen to demand a grass-fed porterhouse and two bottles of Brunello di Montalcino,  all that for the price of a piece of cake, combined with a threat to keep sitting there sulking until it’s delivered  because that’s what they voted for? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, wilcopops said:

At least we have some trade deals in place.....

Liam Fox promised "up to" 40 deals by Brexit.......up to actually means FOUR.....and here they are........

Mauritius (god knows!)

Chile (wine)

Switzerland and Liechtenstein (false teeth)

and the Faroe Isles.....so when the electric runs out, at least we'll have some nice warm sweaters.

what happens to the 600 + trade deals that also need to be signed is anybody's guess......

Again I must repeat that these are not full-blown trade deals. Only a few lines agreeing on continuation of the relevant EU FTA on a bilateral level, done on a rainy afternoon, Nothing new in it, same tariffs, same conditions etc. etc.

19 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

Do you really expect anyone to take you seriously after a comment like this? And what about misquoting people? 

I wouldn't take everything written on here too literal, but to put things in perspective it has been said that Tony Blair is responsible for more deaths than ISIS, many more. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, vogie said:

I wouldn't take everything written on here too literal, but to put things in perspective it has been said that Tony Blair is responsible for more deaths than ISIS, many more. 

I will not disagree that Blair and the UK are (together with the US and others) responsible for the war and chaos in the Middle East and all the deaths and refugees it has caused. But any comparison with Hitler or the Nazis is completely wrong. 

• Like 1

Does the scene continue with a vote to send her back to the kitchen to demand a grass-fed porterhouse and two bottles of Brunello di Montalcino,  all that for the price of a piece of cake, combined with a threat to keep sitting there sulking until it’s delivered  because that’s what they voted for? 

No, we shall have our cake at another restaurant. We can eat world cake if Mother Hubbard’s cupboard is bare.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

12 hours ago, Grouse said:

Did anyone see Andrew Marr today? Quite excellent!

Your bete noire Tony Blair was on great form! What a statesman! Makes the others look depressingly shallow and fundamentally weak. The man spoke wisely!

Then we had Liam Fox. Dear god! What a failed low life. I could go on but Marr publically removed his trousers and showed the hole in them!

There was a young Labour bird. OK but no statesPERSON (Dick)

Finally we had the inexorable Heartly something woman. Total out classed by Schama who was brilliant as always!

Do watch it! Ask a grown up 

I saw most of it and agree. I never did like Tony Blair, 'teflon' man, but he had some valid argument. Liam Fox should have stayed in bed.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, aright said:

It has long been the case that when the people or supermarkets want cheaper food the first thing to suffer is the animal.  

In the early 80s I stayed at a gite in Normandy. It was market weekend and on the Sunday morning I heard a commotion from a long shed and wandered over to have a look. There was a long overhead conveyor track and at one end an old woman was hanging on ducks, they had strangled themselves by the time they got to the other end where another old woman took them off and threw them into large baskets. I am fairly certain the ducks prefer to go to the market under EU regulation.

Animal cruelty, as any other cruelty, is a mentality issue and nothing whatsoever to do with "the people", supermarkets or cheaper food.

15 minutes ago, vogie said:

Why do remainers insist on going back over two years now, are they lost in a time warp or something, we have moved forward. What good do you think that going over the same ground is going to achieve, correct answer.....nothing.

I know how much you admire Anna Soubry, just have a listen to her wise words.

No attachment

15 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

ok, French, charolais,

have you seen them, in Belgium?  a sight from the outer space, just mega awful

DD, would suffer heart attack

More than likely correct, as I became vegetarian after seeing film on the local news (donkeys' years ago) that showed a bull being slaughtered via a 'bolt' through his head.  I had nightmares for a long time after.......

Which is precisely why I'm not looking it up to find out what it is!

Sadly, 25 years or so later I discovered that it was far harder being a vegetarian in Thailand - and so started eating meat again.  So much for my strong principles ☹️.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Grouse said:

Slightly off topic, this is an excellent piece on the UK's university education fiasco. I fully agree with the conclusions. 

University education iconoclasts should skip to something more suitable ????

Agree with pretty much everything he said - but he just had to get in a pointless 'dig' about brexit.....

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

More than likely correct, as I became vegetarian after seeing film on the local news (donkeys' years ago) that showed a bull being slaughtered via a 'bolt' through his head.  I had nightmares for a long time after.......

Which is precisely why I'm not looking it up to find out what it is!

Sadly, 25 years or so later I discovered that it was far harder being a vegetarian in Thailand - and so started eating meat again.  So much for my strong principles ☹️.

It is easy in Thailand, Dick. A lucky country, full of vegetables.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, nauseus said:

It is easy in Thailand, Dick. A lucky country, full of vegetables.

Vegetables full of chemicals....  (I always bought organic in the uk as they were easy to obtain, and I could afford to do so.)

Not that this is a major issue (having eaten organic vegetables for a large proportion of my life, I'm not so bothered now that I'm old - although I'm still 'fussy' about trying to ensure they're thoroughly washed).

The major issue is that quorn etc. to provide protein was easily obtainable in the uk, whereas it's far more difficult to find here - and VERY expensive.  Always have to laugh at the price of quorn packs found in Villa Mart that have huge labels (on the pack) "only 99p!"  The cost in bht is (at least?) 3 times this.  Understandable, as it has been imported.

32 minutes ago, nauseus said:

"You can't go back on your word because you don't agree with the result". Wot a larf.

It's a matter of justice in the face of cheating, corruption and general criminality. I am happy to go with a balanced agreement but save the morality and "respect" angle.

27 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Vegetables full of chemicals....  (I always bought organic in the uk as they were easy to obtain, and I could afford to do so.)

Not that this is a major issue (having eaten organic vegetables for a large proportion of my life, I'm not so bothered now that I'm old - although I'm still 'fussy' about trying to ensure they're thoroughly washed).

The major issue is that quorn etc. to provide protein was easily obtainable in the uk, whereas it's far more difficult to find here - and VERY expensive.  Always have to laugh at the price of quorn packs found in Villa Mart that have huge labels (on the pack) "only 99p!"  The cost in bht is (at least?) 3 times this.  Understandable, as it has been imported.

Don't give up DD, quorn is processed grub, stick to yer veg,

fruit, and nuts, with little imagination you can have an irresistible

veg dish, no cooking required.  If you're averse to 'nuts', please

ignore.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dick dasterdly said:

Not much you can do about the chemicals except give the cabbages a good wash and try and buy from a good local market. I reckon the "organic" labelling in the UK is at least partly a con anyway.

39 minutes ago, nauseus said:

If you want to refer to "justice" and General criminality then you might consider the strong arguments that the UK was taken into the EEC/EU illegally by the liar, Heath, in the first place. 

http://www.vernoncoleman.com/euillegally.html

As far as Soubry goes, well her MP days are numbered.

I wasn't able to access Vogie's piece on Soubry.

Heath was far worse than Blair

I am merely stating that to claim that there is amoral obligation to "respect" the referendum is wearing rather thin.