Extreme Brexit could be worse than financial crisis for UK: BoE

webfact

1 hour ago, vogie said:

How could I misunderstand the above quote, you say that you have "heard only of Brits acting in such an extreme manner." Which ever way you perceived it to be, it is wrong.

Cyber abuse, cyber bullying, there has to be a correlation between those and hate crime I would have thought, and lo and behold there is. The UK comes about halfway down the table of cyber bullying.

https://ceoworld.biz/2018/10/29/countries-where-cyber-bullying-was-reported-the-most-in-2018/

Again, you seem to refer to school cyber bullying

Thank you for the article. However I have been referring to the OP which discussed adult cyber threats.

We can only really discuss our personal experiences. May be I've just been unlucky but I have seen more unpleasantness in the UK than in the USA, Europe or Asia. Sorry but that's what I have noticed personally. 

12 hours ago, Grouse said:

BTW, the EU ARE trying to encourage greater efficiency of household appliances. Good idea both in terms of energy consumption and power demand. You want more suck then develop better magnets and better motor and pump designs. We don't need 3kW vacuum cleaners of ANY brand. 

Quite. 3kW is the maximum that can be used on a standard 13A outlet and it would be dangerous precedent to allow a proliferation of 3kW household appliances. They should be reducing some other appliances such as stand alone heaters and hotplates.

Over the years the EU have introduced a great deal of regulation regarding consumer protection but people just object for one reason or another, mainly price.

Is it the will of the people that we should look forward to an increase in dangerous appliances coming to the market.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, ChasingTheSun said:

Project Fear.

What short-term insignificant amount of pounds is your long-term freedom & well being worth?

How about enough cash to reinstate a proper police force starters. They cut police budget by one third so they need a 50% increase.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Quite. 3kW is the maximum that can be used on a standard 13A outlet and it would be dangerous precedent to allow a proliferation of 3kW household appliances. They should be reducing some other appliances such as stand alone heaters and hotplates.

Over the years the EU have introduced a great deal of regulation regarding consumer protection but people just object for one reason or another, mainly price.

Is it the will of the people that we should look forward to an increase in dangerous appliances coming to the market.

I see that since 2017 max is 900W which is sensible.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

in UK do you use 13A/3kW sockets in kitchens? (is this an EU recommendation?)

(could be somewhat marginal with an electric heater, lights, freezer/fridge, one or two other appl. (toaster or mixer)

and an electric stove at full work, baking bread and cooking dinner)

1 hour ago, Grouse said:

How about enough cash to reinstate a proper police force starters. They cut police budget by one third so they need a 50% increase.

Well noted Grouse,

Nobody knows how much cash is hidden offshore, but I

would like to bet my piss pot, that if it was repatriated and

invested in the UK, we could all trade our Allegro's in for

new bentley's. 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, talahtnut said:

Well noted Grouse,

Nobody knows how much cash is hidden offshore, but I

would like to bet my piss pot, that if it was repatriated and

invested in the UK, we could all trade our Allegro's in for

new bentley's. 

Look like all our potties may suddenly become the new Euro.

• Haha 1

I really don’t get you Brits sometimes.

A chance to be wined and dined on the grounds of the British Embassy in Bangkok was always a great way to shmooze important people. 

Now with Brexit it turns out you are flogging off your embassy and it’s historic grounds to move to...an office building on Sathorn! 

Have luck convincing people to give you a trade deal from there

http://www.thebigchilli.com/feature-stories/no-loss-of-prestige-because-of-embassy-sale-says-british-ambassador

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, evadgib said:

Planned many years before Brexit came about & has nothing whatsoever to do with the thread.

It’s very related, projecting your presence and import.

In so far as you now have to do it all yourself, still remarkably shortsighted. 

I do believe the final sale wasn’t made till after the vote. 

Edited by samran

3 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

in UK do you use 13A/3kW sockets in kitchens? (is this an EU recommendation?)

(could be somewhat marginal with an electric heater, lights, freezer/fridge, one or two other appl. (toaster or mixer)

and an electric stove at full work, baking bread and cooking dinner)

Socket outlets are rated at 13A which is actually 2990VA at 230V. Wiring is 20A spur or 32A ring main with RCD protection in either case. This is compliant with BS7671:2018 18th edition code which is harmonised with the IEC60364 standard.

NEK400 is also harmonised with IEC60364 as are the codes of all European countries together with Australia, New Zealand, Malaysia, Indonesia, Singapore, Hongkong etc. Thailand is different but moving closer.

Electric ovens, hobs or combination jobs are typically energised from a dedicated 32A spur circuit and are permanently connected.

There is a separate board on TV for these issues. You can find everything you might wish to know there. This is an area where amateurs are strongly discouraged.

Edited by Grouse

8 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Socket outlets are rated at 13A which is actually 2990VA at 230V. Wiring is 20A spur or 32A ring main with RCD protection in either case. This is compliant with BS7671:2018 18th edition code which is harmonised with the IEC60364 standard.

There is a separate board on these issues. You can find everything you might wish to know there. This is an area where amateurs are strongly discouraged.

Separate board! Nice one!

1 hour ago, samran said:

A chance to be wined and dined on the grounds of the British Embassy in Bangkok was always a great way to shmooze important people. 

Now with Brexit it turns out you are flogging off your embassy and it’s historic grounds to move to...an office building on Sathorn! 

http://www.thebigchilli.com/feature-stories/no-loss-of-prestige-because-of-embassy-sale-says-british-ambassador

Yes indeed. It was tragic when they sold the first half for a new shopping mall. Now they will sell the rest including The Ambassador's residence. That is the ambassador and his husband! I kid you not; nice shoes.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, tebee said:

So are MP finally going to take back control from TM ?

Julian Smith, the government chief whip, has issued an ultimatum to Eurosceptic Tories: vote for Theresa May’s Brexit deal or Europhile Conservative and Labour MPs will join forces to keep Britain in a customs union with the EU.

The chief whip said if Mrs May was defeated in the vote — which will take place by March 12 — then Europhile MPs would insist on a delay to Britain’s departure from the EU and force Mrs May to adopt a new, soft Brexit strategy.

..senior government officials have told the Financial Times that Mrs May is likely to offer her deeply divided MPs — and her split cabinet — a free vote, rather than make a vain attempt to maintain Conservative party discipline.

https://www.ft.com/content/7b375ac6-3f25-11e9-9bee-efab61506f44

that would be quite a step forward if they managed to do that

1 hour ago, samran said:

It’s very related, projecting your presence and import.

In so far as you now have to do it all yourself, still remarkably shortsighted. 

I do believe the final sale wasn’t made till after the vote. 

All this downsizing is a consequence of lost empire and power. It is a shame that the embassy has gone but this sale was planned ages ago and started with the block of land near Ploenchit about 2005. In any event it was not related to Brexit, although it was possibly related to EU membership.

Members of the Royal Family can and often do serve as high-profile brokers for UK business deals and other interests, all over the world.

I gather that Queen Victoria (statue) will be relocated to the British Club. Until the next move.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, samran said:

The days of Countries needing large prominent embassy's in central areas have long gone , visas and passport issues are dealt with externally now by private companies and businesses can deal with each other without the Embassys interference  .

In this day and age of mass communication , are Embassys really necessary?

What exactly do they do ?

Just means that Prince Andy will have to stay in a hotel next time he visits Thailand to play golf

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

At last, a voice of reason and enlightened optimism about our post-Brexit future from a savvy member of the UK the business community. Note the calm, considered replies to a clearly anti-Brexit Sky News inquisitor posing an independent newscaster. And no, of course the BBC would not give him air time.

He talks about a bright future but gives absolutely no indication as to why he believes the future is bright.

His company has gone from a star-up to what is now despite the UK’s membership of the EU. 

His company exports globally, despite the UK’s membership of the EU.

A more inquisitive interviewer might have pressed him on the question how he believes being outside the EU offers a ‘bright future’.

He never explained this.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Wow I didn't know brexit would affect the car market, I thought they said that before brexit. ????

But back on topic BoE manager has said his all prepared for a " no deal " brexit.

So should companies be to, they've had over 2 years.

its alright asking companies to prepare but would who wants to prepare for their own funeral.

• Haha 1