Video: What kind of "hia" would dare to drive this mother of overloaded pick-ups!

webfact

In Thailand there is no limit for how far a load can extend out the back of the vehicle. Just must have a red flag if it is a meter or more. But you can't extend past the front bumper or sides. So the first picture appears legal, other pictures not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

The footage found its way to the page of "Hia Khap Rot". This name is a play on words from the foul Thai language "hia" meaning water monitor and the polite word for a wealthy business owner also "hia".

The difference is in the tone of the word - falling tone for the swearword and common tone for the polite one. 

The polite one is used as the name for the page rendering its literal meaning as the mock respectful "wealthy owner driving".

Fascinating .. But why not keep it a simple w*nker or t*sser ..

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, canopy said:

In Thailand there is no limit for how far a load can extend out the back of the vehicle. Just must have a red flag if it is a meter or more. But you can't extend past the front bumper or sides. So the first picture appears legal, other pictures not.

The limit in Thailand is no more than 2 metres over the back of the vehicle with said red warning flag and level with the front of the vehicle so I don't know where you got your information that there's no limit in Thailand?

1 hour ago, Gandtee said:

Not only in Thailand. In the 1960s I collected a new 22feet long mast for my boat from Southampton to Rochester in England, on the roof rack of a Mini. The problem was approaching a major road Tee junction. Why did I do it? Because there was a good chance of getting away with it. No CCTV in those days and not many police cars. Maybe this is why Thais do it. They know there is a good chance of getting away with it.

Get away with what, overload, over length - someone would have to read the road rules to know that--so no worries.? 

I don't understand what all the fuss is about.   The drive has used the left turn indicator and even did actually turn left.   Usually in this situation on a dual carriageway they'll be turning right and looking for a U-turn in order to get over to the correct side of the road.

6 hours ago, canopy said:

Incorrect - there is a legal limit. I remember studying it for my road license exam in BKK