Kasikorn bank, sim-card of other countries allowed?

all those people telling you that you cant use kbank app with another countries sim card must not really know and are guessing.. I have the app.. Got it in Thailand. Recently left to be in China. I am now using Chinese sim card.  Not wifi. I am able to use the kbank app and all its functions without any problems. 

So don't worry.  

Can that only be done via the app? The support if I call them won't change my thai number to my local, non-thai, sim?

It's your phone number that is required, banks could care less about who is your phone SIM provider. The OTP is received by the phone. If you can't receive an SMS in your home country then you probably didn't set it for roaming prior to leaving Thailand, since there have been many more posts from those who have no problems receiving them, than those who cannot

I think I pay DTAC 12 baht a year for roaming and 24 baht to extend the life of my phone number. Never miss an OTP from either Bangkok Bank or SCB, when in the US

Sent from my Pixel using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Roaming is enabled.

The sim in my current country doesn't work

all those people telling you that you cant use kbank app with another countries sim card must not really know and are guessing.. I have the app.. Got it in Thailand. Recently left to be in China. I am now using Chinese sim card.  Not wifi. I am able to use the kbank app and all its functions without any problems. 

So don't worry. 

I didn't see anyone telling the OP he can't use the Kbank Application - that's not what he was asking. His question was about his SIM card and online banking. Clearly he doesn't have the Kbank Application.  Whether or not the Application would help him I know not - I don't have it but others have said it must be downloaded in Thailand.

Why don't you just ask the bank, and ask the telco to answer your questions? Different banks may be different, and different telcos may be different.

He's had his answer - he cannot receive Kasikorn online banking OTP's on a non Thai SIM card.  I don't know where he lives but roaming agreements do not operate in every country so his telephone company may not be able to help but its worth trying - it could just be that its not set up.

The SIM has nothing to do with online banking.  The SIM is for the telephone part of the smart phone that will allow you to receive OTOP's or other text messages from your Thai bank. Usually are free since they are free for the Thai banks to send (I get SMS from both Bangkok Bank and SCB while in the US using a Thai SIM card that I keep in an extra phone)

Online banking is done on the Internet, independent of what type of SIM card you have, the only connection between the two is that the SMS from your bank on your phone may notify you that you need to check you online account via an Internet connection 

The Kasikorn phone app does check the HTTP header to see if the telephone number of the originating packet matches the registered number and won't let you connect over wifi or other sim cards, it must be via the data from the phone number that you registered only.

but if you quit the app and use a browser to ask for a desktop site, you can log on normally anywhere. To my knowledge only Kasikorn bank does this, other bank lets you use the phone app on whatever internet connection you have

I was told at Bangkok Bank that to open an online account that a thai number is needed. If I get a Thai Sim & #, would it work in other countries (US)? Can I use my US sim while in the US to do my online BKK Banking?

I do online banking from USA whenever I visit home but normally just use my laptop with Bangkok bank. They use your Thai number for the first transaction when you set up a new payee after that no problem.

• Like 1

Another option, although it may need to be set up when you have DTAC service is the DTAC call app. It can route all your calls and SMS through wifi or another carriers data service, so that you don't need your DTAC SIM in your phone to receive SMS. You can add up to 5 DTAC numbers to go to one phone too.

http://www.dtac.co.th/en/info/dtac-call.html

The Kasikorn phone app does check the HTTP header to see if the telephone number of the originating packet matches the registered number and won't let you connect over wifi or other sim cards, it must be via the data from the phone number that you registered only.

but if you quit the app and use a browser to ask for a desktop site, you can log on normally anywhere. To my knowledge only Kasikorn bank does this, other bank lets you use the phone app on whatever internet connection you have

As someone mentioned above, there is the option to turn on Wifi access in the Kasikorn app for 90 days. Then you are not tied to the original SIM.

"he cannot receive Kasikorn online banking OTP's on a non Thai SIM card"

he doesnt need them ! 

KBank have a security facility called pin2, which can replace the OTP requirement. I have used it for over 12 years to pay my Thai rent when overseas. You need to set it up at a branch office when you are in Thailand. then when you do a money transfer you get a new screen asking for your pin2 code, which is separate from your access code and the transaction proceeds. I have never used OTP and always pay my rent from overseas. 

10 hours ago, biggles45 said:

"he cannot receive Kasikorn online banking OTP's on a non Thai SIM card"

he doesnt need them !  

KBank have a security facility called pin2, which can replace the OTP requirement. I have used it for over 12 years to pay my Thai rent when overseas. You need to set it up at a branch office when you are in Thailand. then when you do a money transfer you get a new screen asking for your pin2 code, which is separate from your access code and the transaction proceeds. I have never used OTP and always pay my rent from overseas.  

what's that? does that have to do with the app?

Chado, no I dont have any Kbank app. I just log in to their web siteit is just another level of security on Kbank internet banking. You need to visit your Kbank branch, with ID and they will set it up for you. As I said above, used it for 12 years from overseas, never used OTP, and no problems. 

On 12/5/2018 at 10:47 PM, biggles45 said:

Chado, no I dont have any Kbank app. I just log in to their web siteit is just another level of security on Kbank internet banking. You need to visit your Kbank branch, with ID and they will set it up for you. As I said above, used it for 12 years from overseas, never used OTP, and no problems. 

I'm not in Thailand

I've  used my internet banking for many years, always it's  required OTP via sms

the last time they had difficulty understanding what I wanted from them - activate my internet banking. They even could speak english, basic

I had to go several different branches. In each branch they "activated", "something" ????

how to explain to them OTP, SMS............ ? I can't imagine

I will say it again. You need to be in Thailand to go to kbank branch and set up pin2 security option. Someone there will speak enough english. You then use PIN2 for transactions when you are NOT in Thailand. Used it for 12 years with no problems. 

8 hours ago, chado said:

the last time they had difficulty understanding what I wanted from them - activate my internet banking. They even could speak english, basic

I had to go several different branches. In each branch they "activated", "something" ????

how to explain to them OTP, SMS............ ? I can't imagine

You have my sympathy on that one - I lost my card recently and asked my local branch to activate everything on the replacement - in the same way as they activated my old card (which took about 3 visits).  They assured me it was activated - I arrived at Duty Free in Abu Dhabi........"sorry sir, your card has been declined" ????.

To be fair, its not for them to speak English - we should learn Thai.

Edited by KhaoYai