Unsuspecting tourists heading to Phuket airport find themselves in meth bust

rooster59

33 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I always have my hold luggage wrapped going back and forth between BKK and Melbourne. Have never had a problem. I guess it would take thieves too much time to get to the contents.

and in this hi tech age replete with cctv up the ying yang and still having to put your goods in a cocoon, freakin' disgusting.

And the advice from the senior police officer about checking items that are not yours before being carried in a licensed taxi would have been useless on this occasion as the taxi driver stopped off to collect the fan ( drugs) en route to the airport with the passengers already on board.

So if they had checked at the beginning of the journey ( unlikely) there would have been nothing untoward.

Honestly,.people on their way back home at the end of a holiday and all they want is to get home, the last thing on their minds would be checking their bloody taxi for suspicious household items! Ridiculous really.

On 12/1/2018 at 3:33 PM, BestB said:

Col Gerasak urged all tourists, “Please be aware of the vehicle that you are getting in, especially if there is anything in the van that does not belong there.
Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/unsuspecting-tourists-heading-to-phuket-airport-find-themselves-in-meth-bust-69528.php#sLJOzze5ph0dLUXs.99

From now on, the first thing i would do before getting into a taxi van is go through any and all things in it to make it belongs there

Never use a van! Those crazy .............. is the scum of scum after tuk tuk drivers in Phuket. 

Edited by Hummin

On 12/2/2018 at 11:46 AM, Xaos said:

And they knew its there from?

It’s a good question considering how corrupt the police force is. I have noticed a lot more articles on people being busted with drugs in the last few months.

I used to lock my checked bags but then the tsa instead of cutting the lock off cut the zipper pulls off and left me a note inside my bag stating they were not responsible for damages. I then bought a tsa approved lock and the same thing happened again. Now I don’t lock the bags but I put a twist tie on the pulls so I at least know someone has been inside and the zipper does not come open from handling.

So it's up to tourists to check for drugs in public transportation now? Can I get some of the kickback money if I find anything?

No. The bad guys will call the cops and you will be arrested and they will get the kickback!

sorry, it's just the way the system works.

And don't forget to deflate all the tyres, including the spare, to check for drugs. It is always a good idea to take apart the engine compartment, check inside the seats, take up the carpets or floor coverings and check behind the ceiling covering. Then do a complete body and body cavity search of the driver and you are all done.

Crack the headlight and taillight lenses, open the transmission and differential, cut open the muffler, and obviously, disassemble all four brake assemblies.

Though not strictly necessary, it's wise to cut open all the seat cushions as well.

Be thorough or don't bother! Just sayin'