New Tesco Lotus

Boo

Hubby just spoke to his mum who says that a new tesco lotus has opened in Amphur Phon (Phol) in Khon kaen.

I generally take what my MIL says with a pinch of salt but I know some of you guys are around there so thought I would let you know.

If any one can confirm it would be good, don't want to get my hopes up too much but according to her it is on the last turn off into town from the highway if you were heading from Khon Kaen to Korat. Oh & it is only selling food at the moment.

I can understand the positioning of a TL in Phon, it is about half way between Khon Kaen & Korat off the main highway so can imagnine that a lot of people living in the surrounding villages will use it. I know it wil make my life easier when we are in town. I love thai food but miss some things & we usually do a shop in the city before heading for home so can use this one instead.

There's none in Sisaket at the moment. There was talk last year of one planned to be built on the edge of town.

You are right but now another info ( i'm not sure it's correct).

Yesterday one of our customers told me that Tesco start building in Kantaralak. For me it makes no sence becaus to Ubon its 60 Km and I have there Big C and Makro too. Kantaralak is 60 Km but there is nothing else

Yesterday I noticed a big sign outside a Thai supermarket in Khantaralak saying:

LOTUS GO HOME

- so there might be something going on??? :o

I agree with Frank - it is a small place, but blooming, and with a lot of foreigners living.

There is also a large increase in Thai and foreign tourists going to Prasat Khao Phra Viharn (Preah Vihear Temple).

I'll try to find out more and let you know.

Trond

Yesterday I noticed a big sign outside a Thai supermarket in Khantaralak saying:

LOTUS GO HOME

- so there might be something going on??? :o

I agree with Frank - it is a small place, but blooming, and with a lot of foreigners living.

There is also a large increase in Thai and foreign tourists going to Prasat Khao Phra Viharn (Preah Vihear Temple).

I'll try to find out more and let you know.

Trond

Isn't Lotus the Thai part of Tesco-Lotus?

As you leave Sisaket on the Ubon Rd, just after passing through the stone "gate posts" if you look to the right you will see a large building site set back - I am told that is to be the new Tesco for Sisaket.

So than you will have 2 Tesco in Sisaket, that's sound crazy or maybe it becomes true: Kantaralak wil be an own Province, we will see

A new Tesco Lotus opened on saturday 17th feb. in Trakhan,50k north of Ubon.I went along with 100's of others.Most just curious country people who spent less than 100baht.It is only a small store but has all the things I want & is 54k's less for me to travel to Ubon as I live in Khemarat.Well done Tesco!!!

My friend tells me that construction on the new Tesco Lotus across from the Krabi airport is going ahead full speed. The Tesco Lotus in Loei is still sitting empty as it has been for over a year. Had they built a store outside of town it would most likely be open for business.

...TL in Phon, it is about half way between Khon Kaen & Korat off the main highway so can imagnine that a lot of people living in the surrounding villages will use it.

I was in there last weekend. Before those local to the area get too excited about this store you need to be aware that this is a small Tesco outlet, not a warehouse superstore. And along with the small car park (no security guards giving out parking passes) makes it very busy, although it was about 5pm on a Saturday afternoon. It feels a little cramped inside but is a compromise between stock and space to allow the Thai masses to buy the products they want at a fixed price while still begrudging the farang chain that is providing what no Thai company will offer them. I don't see this TL killing the local Phon market or shops and I doubt those retailers in the area will wake up to the idea of customer service, clean stores and all the good things that a chain brings a small town, but I'm sure they will moan about it - but still see relatives and neighbours coming home with white/blue Tesco bags bulging.

There is only room for about two or three mini shop units within the Tesco store, doughnuts, books and maybe a clock or gold outlet, I can't rememeber as I was in a rush to get home - stopping only for bread and milk.

The store is on the North bound carriageway of Highway 2, just South of Ban Phon's first set of traffic lights.

Those coming down from the North or East have to travel on for about 1km for the U turn, those to the West might want to take a few side roads then dash 100m against oncoming traffic to avoid the long law abiding detour, you can guess what most people do.

• 2 weeks later...
As you leave Sisaket on the Ubon Rd, just after passing through the stone "gate posts" if you look to the right you will see a large building site set back - I am told that is to be the new Tesco for Sisaket.

So than you will have 2 Tesco in Sisaket, that's sound crazy or maybe it becomes true: Kantaralak wil be an own Province, we will see

Has anyone noticed the big banner on the fence near the Phrompiman hotel in Sisaket saying no to Lotus.

I also believe the push for a Kantaralak province has ground to a halt due to lack of funding.

Does anyone know if there are plans for one in the Chaiya Phum area? :o

Hi Mr Bo jangles

One opened last year. I was there last November after my trip to Pattaya. It's quite good. On the site of an old department store in the centre of Chaiyaphum.They've done it up pretty good. Its on three levels. Not quite as big as most I've been in but still quite large. Food and electrical stuff downstairs, Clothes etc entry level and upstairs a food court, kids area and some more shops. Have look on their website, its under hypermarkets.

Boogie

Tesco-lotus

I live in the province of Sa Kaeo. The estimated population here is somewhere between 750,000 and 1,000,000 and yet there is no superstore anywhere in the province. At any mention of a possible superstore the merchants start marching with banners and hire loudspeaker trucks to dissuade the public. These same merchants place plastic chairs in the public streets in front of their business to prevent anyone from parking in front of their shops.

We recently had a medium sized Macro open in the town of Sa Kaeo. The pent up demand for a large store was made very obvious on opening day. It was physically imposable to get into the store and half of the main highway was also blocked for several days by traffic eager to shop.

Jim :o

• 2 months later...

Hi,

yesterday 07.06.2007 i heard from one Govermentofficial that Tesco-Lotos start building in Kantharalak and that Makro startet already in Sisaket Tanon Ubon direction Ubon.

So maybe it's easier for shopping.

Where is the other in Surin is it bigger than the one opposite Big 'C'

Hi Macb, likewise, cannot imagine Surin having two? Surin's Lotus for some reason gives me the creeps....lol...The pokiest 'superstore' in Thailand I guess.

Do you know if there is any truth in a rumour I have heard re Tesco buying the big shopping centre in Buriram? It would be an ideal, near ready to open location. It kinda makes sense with the new Big C & Makro superstores construction well under way?

Hi Macb, likewise, cannot imagine Surin having two? Surin's Lotus for some reason gives me the creeps....lol...The pokiest 'superstore' in Thailand I guess.

Do you know if there is any truth in a rumour I have heard re Tesco buying the big shopping centre in Buriram? It would be an ideal, near ready to open location. It kinda makes sense with the new Big C & Makro superstores construction well under way?

Well I havent heard that rumour but it its a viable assumption if the price was right to the present owner as he has two other stores anyway .

Well I havent heard that rumour but it its a viable assumption if the price was right to the present owner as he has two other stores anyway .

There are rumours of a new Tesco in Phibun too, even a plot of land with earthworks which is supposed to be the location; and, as others have mentioned, big black and white posters saying "asd ytryr xfcvxa ssfsdf" (my own transliteration). Then, there was that government "request" that foreign-owned superstores should stop all expansion. So we will wait and see....

Cheers,

Mike

edit> typo

Edited by phibunmike

• 1 month later...