I will be PM to take Britain out of EU, says UK's May

webfact

I will be PM to take Britain out of EU, says UK's May

By Kylie MacLellan

2018-12-02T094655Z_2_LYNXNPEEB103T_RTROPTP_4_G20-ARGENTINA-LEADERS.JPG

Britain's Prime Minister Theresa May addresses the media during the G20 Leaders Summit in Buenos Aires, Argentina December 1, 2018. REUTERS/Carlos Garcia Rawlins

BUENOS AIRES (Reuters) - Theresa May said on Saturday she would be the prime minister to take Britain out of the European Union and that parliament should back her Brexit deal to ensure certainty for the future.

May sealed a deal with EU leaders last Sunday that would see Britain leave the bloc on March 29 with continued close ties, but the odds look stacked against her getting it approved by a deeply divided British parliament.

The deal has been criticized by many of May's Conservative lawmakers, both supporters of a cleaner break with the EU and those who want to keep closer ties. Opposition parties and a small Northern Irish party which props up May's minority government have also said they plan to reject the deal.

Several of her ministers have resigned in protest at the deal, and some of her lawmakers have called for a confidence vote in her leadership, something some believe could happen if she loses the vote in parliament.

"There is a lot more for me still to do, not least delivering on Brexit and being the prime minister that does take the United Kingdom out of the European Union," May told a news conference at the G20 Summit in Argentina, when asked what her legacy would be if she is forced to quit.

She said the next nine days were an important time for the country, ahead of a Dec. 11 vote in parliament on her deal.

"I will be talking with Members of Parliament ... and explaining why passing this deal in the vote that will take place in the House of Commons will take us to certainty for the future, and that failure to do that would only lead to uncertainty."

May, who discussed trade with the leaders of Australia, Canada, Chile, Turkey and Japan on the sidelines of the summit, said she had heard from other leaders about the need for that certainty.

Earlier, Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe urged May to ensure stability as Britain leaves the EU and asked her to do what she could to avoid a 'no deal' Brexit.

May said that during her meetings with world leaders she had updated them on the Brexit deal and told them it would be a good deal for the global economy as well as international firms which have invested in Britain or that use European bases to supply the UK market.

"That this deal sets a path for the UK to a brighter future has been affirmed by the discussions I have had on trade over the past two days," she said.

"Friends and partners have made clear that they are keen to sign and implement ambitious free trade agreements with us as soon as possible," she added.

(Additional reporting by Cassandra Garrison; editing by Stephen Addison and Ross Colvin)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-12-03
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Theresa May said on Saturday she would be the prime minister to take Britain out of the European Union and that parliament should back her Brexit deal to ensure certainty for the future.

Well I do think she will be the PM to take Britain out of the EU "IF" that happens.  The people around her are far too cowardly to take it on, unless JRM or Johnson can get a sucker to step up.

The embarrassment that Brexit has become continues being kicked around the room with no clear indication of where we are going to end up.

• Like 1

Much bnwetter the U.K.leaves completely = the hardest possible Brexit.

52 vs 48 is hardly "overwhelming" but the people have spoken. This despite the fact that nobody really knew what they were voting for.

Despite me being a remainer (no vote, been out of the country too long) a hard brexit would suit me down to the ground. The only financial interest I have in the UK (apart from a miniscule state pension) is debt. Pound collapse = cheaper to pay off the ex.

In reality, staying in is a better deal than the one "negotiated" by Mrs May.

• Like 1

52 vs 48 is hardly "overwhelming" but the people have spoken. This despite the fact that nobody really knew what they were voting for.

Despite me being a remainer (no vote, been out of the country too long) a hard brexit would suit me down to the ground. The only financial interest I have in the UK (apart from a miniscule state pension) is debt. Pound collapse = cheaper to pay off the ex.

In reality, staying in is a better deal than the one "negotiated" by Mrs May.

Leaving (as per the democratic referendum) would be even better....

"Staying in" would just prove that the threat of May's ridiculous 'deal' - worked.....

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I think she is really going to do that. UK will be our smaller Turkey after brexit is done and buried. 

If UK wishes to become a new Singapore, there is no chance of that. Singapore is famous of its ability to be agile, smart and adapt best ideas from around the world. UK have no chance of adapting that kind of behaviour. National arrogance, what we have witnessed during this brexit process proclaims the essence of what Britain really is. 

UK will be our western Turkey. 

On 12/3/2018 at 2:43 PM, dick dasterdly said:

Who on earth does she think she's fooling?

One would have to be seriously stupid to support her 'deal'.....

Not sure what the Hard Brexiteers have to contribute to any discussion as they are opposed to any deal.

On 12/3/2018 at 5:33 PM, puipuitom said:

Much bnwetter the U.K.leaves completely = the hardest possible Brexit. Exactly as the British voted for overwhelmingly, as no conditions were mentioned in the referendum, with 51,88 % of the voters. ( and 48,11 % against = remain ) 

No conditions mentioned does not equate to zero conditions. Nonsense grammar.