Please clarify the "money in the bank" method..

14 minutes ago, KhunFred said:

No mention of the funds having to be in a THAI BANK. Still not clear enough. Half of my total income is in an American credit union. I have difficulties paying bills with my Bangkok Bank account. Most of the bills have to be paid using my credit union account. Bringing all my income to Thailand would be a mistake if I can't pay my bills.

No mention YET. So tell me, with all your income in a US Credit Union, how will you do your Retirement  (or Marriage) Extension?

8 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

Norwegians can ask for it at the embassy, cost 1100 baht

Austrians, Belgians, Dutch, Germans, Luxembourgers using the T.I. in Pattaya, can obtain, after  "verification" a L.o.I. at the Austrian Consulate at that place.

Costs +/- 1700 ThB.

50 minutes ago, ExpatDraco said:

How many years are people proclaiming that Thai banks are going to fail or the THB is going to crash? For as long as I can remember probably...

More like $24,000 USD+....I like my money were it is....and under my control...for the most part....????

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Boon Mee said:

Why all this talk about visa agencies? 

It's not rocket surgery to accomplish the task oneself. 

i know, when i visit immigration and am being calmly and efficiently processed i see guys trailing round with visa agents and wonder; what's so difficult?

fair play to the visa agent though, money for old rope.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, samsensam said:

i know, when i visit immigration and am being calmly and efficiently processed i see guys trailing round with visa agents and wonder; what's so difficult?

fair play to the visa agent though, money for old rope.

Many here seem to be making a pretense that the documents I could present from my SS , state teacher's retirement and annuity would be accepted by Immigration. Has anyone actually TRIED this???

Edited by KhunFred

21 hours ago, KhunFred said:

Easy for YOU.........most assuredly NOT easy for me. Do you think 20 thousand baht is a fair price???

I payment 22k first round 12.5k after that..the do all my 90 day reports for my free and yes I know they're. Free. But I'm mobility challenge..but.. my gfs died Monday and I decided to go back to Vietnam..

3 hours ago, Dorian232 said:

If you follow the rules you don't need an agent, never used an agent.in the 22 years I've been here and never had any real problems so don't understand why all the fuss.

Problem can be that IO don't follow the rules but acts like small kings in their tight uniforms

48 minutes ago, wwest5829 said:

Yes, we are waiting for clarification on how Thai Immigration will accept documentation of monthly income but, as the regulation has not been changed, I am sure the method remains valid and I am not going to panic.

I think that has already been decided...........and the income method will only be accepted by TI using a "verification" letter from your relevant embassy, of which the US, UK, Oz and Danish embassies have stopped issuing them, so if that doesn't change, then you could be stumped (or use the agent method).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KhunFred said:

Many here seem to be making a pretense that the documents I could present from my SS , state teacher's retirement and annuity would be accepted by Immigration. Has anyone actually TRIED this???

US Embassy is still issuing letters at the moment.

1 hour ago, wwest5829 said:

I will be requesting my 8th retirement extension of stay next July. It is my current plan to continue using the Thai Immigration 65K monthly income method which has transferred into Bangkok Bank every month since beginning my residency here. I am unwilling to have 800K sitting in a bank account here. Yes, we are waiting for clarification on how Thai Immigration will accept documentation of monthly income but, as the regulation has not been changed, I am sure the method remains valid and I am not going to panic.

Errrrrrr, excuse me. Where are you from? The UK, USA, AUS and Denmark will no longer issue leeters. So how are YOU going to do it at Immgration?

27 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

US Embassy is still issuing letters at the moment.

Yes, but my next renewal is in October 2019. The letter would be worthless by that time. I don't want to take any chances but unless I use an obscenely priced agent, I will have to go and live in the Philippines. Immigration is being very cavalier about clarifying what "proof" will be accepted in lieu of an affidavit. Some offices do not seem to know that a number of embassies are no longer issuing affidavits. They continue to parrot the same crap they've been spouting for years.

It is just wishful thinking to assume showing 65k per month for three months will satisfy their requirements.  Why would they have required 800k for so many years if they only wanted to see 195k?  

BTW, CIMB are still doing 2.5% 24 month fixed deposits, with monthly interest (your choice).  2.4% if you do not have preferred status, which was a million aggregate in my case, but was given 2.5% last month with much less.

Edited by moontang
  • Thanks 1

Just for the record. The documents I have explaining my benefits are no more opaque than the much-vaunted "embassy letter". They explain exactly how much I get every month and that it is LIFETIME income. It does come from three discrete sources, but simple addition shows that I make about 80 thousand baht a month.

2 minutes ago, KhunFred said:

Yes, but my next renewal is in October 2019. The letter would be worthless by that time. I don't want to take any chances but unless I use an obscenely priced agent, I will have to go and live in the Philippines. Immigration is being very cavalier about clarifying what "proof" will be accepted in lieu of an affidavit. Some offices do not seem to know that a number of embassies are no longer issuing affidavits. They continue to parrot the same crap they've been spouting for years.

'Some offices'? Which ones please. And the UK Embassy has NEVER issued an affidavit, it is (was) a Letter of Verification of Income. Enjoy the Phillipines.

2 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

Norwegians can ask for it at the embassy, cost 1100 baht (standard price for consular business).

They normally do it while you wait.

dunno about the other countries

Hi,

and Ireland.  Posted passport and required documents to Irish embassy Bangkok (from Chiang Mai), received back all documents,  passport and letter following Thursday.  Cost 1700 Baht.

Queried via email if continuing this service, and informed

The Embassy of Ireland will continue to issue the pension income letter until further notice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, moontang said:

It is just wishful thinking to assume showing 65k per month for three months will satisfy their requirements.  Why would they have required 800k for so many years if they only wanted to see 195k?  

The have been accepting proof of income documents from embassy's for years that only proved a monthly income equal to or greater than 65k baht.

So why would they not accept backup of proof of 65k baht going into an account for 3 months.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, JohnMidnight said:

Hi,

and Ireland.  Posted passport and required documents to Irish embassy Bangkok (from Chiang Mai), received back all documents,  passport and letter following Thursday.  Cost 1700 Baht.

Queried via email if continuing this service, and informed

But will Immigration accept them?

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

The have been accept proof of income documents from embassy's for years that only prove a monthly income equal to or greater than 65k baht.

So why would they not accept back of proof of 65k baht going into an account for 3 months.

Without an embassy letter?  Without extensive documentation (with zero definitions of what is acceptable)?  It is just too easy to show movement of 65k per month into a Thai bank...you will see sharks now advertising short term loans for 65k.

Settled......Philippines, here I come. Easy visa requirements and cheaper living.
Not if you want a Retirement Visa .. $20k USD . In the bank ( of their choice ) permanently .. ( well, there are a number of options, but none IMO as easy as Thailand )
Tourist/Temporary visas are easier and you can stay up to 3 yrs .. But try getting a drivers licence or bank account !
Not everything is cheaper, and accomadation options are poor by comparison.
Big plus for Phils ..is exchange rate ..nice weak Peso v strong Baht.

Sent from my vivo 1713 using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1