The New Skytrain (continued for 2019)

Jonathan Fairfield

Any word on whether eastern extension will combine with the normal green route? Or will I have to keep transferring trains at Samrong?

I remember something about the "extension line" only lasting until April.
I think the transfer at Samrong was only needed during this free trial period, which as you say is due to finish after this month.

I travelled on the extension yesterday and noted there were more of the newer style trains running. Previously I only saw one. I guess the rest of their shipment from Turkey has finally arrived. Them having enough rolling stock to fulfill Mo Chit - Kheha as one seamless line is key.
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, tom in bangkok said:

Any word on whether eastern extension will combine with the normal green route? Or will I have to keep transferring trains at Samrong?

I remember something about the "extension line" only lasting until April.

Free running has apparently been extended, not sure exactly how long for yet.

The transfer arrangements will likely continue at least until then.

• Like 1

Any news regarding Mangmoom card and / or a card to pay in the busses.

Today in one of the new blue BMTA bussss I was surprised to see a conductor with a mobile device that uses contact less credit cards and QR code to pay for your ticket.
Has the other solution with terminals to check in/out completely abandoned?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, sidgy said:

Do you know how this map relates to actual roads, ie I am interested where the stations will be on the purple line at the southern end, I am assuming it will be on the SukSawad road but only guessing. If you know could you enlighten me please

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

From the MRTA website for the Purple Line from Bang Yai - Rat Burana (but not saying where each station will be).

The project starts from Bang Yai, the northwestern area of Bangkok , then goes downward crossing the Chao Phraya River at Phranang- Klao Bridge and goes along Ratana Thibed Road to Nonthaburi Intersection and Wongsawang Intersection. The route then runs along Pracharat Road to Taopoon Intersection, turns right and turns left to Samsen Road, passing the National Library, Bang Lumpu, Ratanakosin Island and crosses Chao Phraya River at to Phra Pok Klao Bridge to Thonburi side. Here, the alignment runs southward along Tak Sin Road , passing Wong Wian Yai to Mahai Sawan Intersection. At this point, the line changes again into elevated structure and runs along Tak Sin Road and Suk Sawat Road . Finally, the line terminates near Bang Na - Dao Kanong Expressway with a total length of 40.0 km.

So, south of the river probably looks something like this:

image.png.8ee0ff38cbb7fd3743fa937e917d6fa9.png

• Like 1

I made this map on Google Maps Engine that overlays the lines with their actual routes. It's fairly up to date, near as I can tell.

More info here if you're curious

Very good, I can only imagine the time and effort you have put into this. I note you have the purple line following Rat Burana road as opposed to Suk Sawat, Is this a definite? My wife seems pretty adamant it will follow Suk Sawat

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile appplease note, my wife (Thai) is no authority and generally goes with what she feels to be correct

On 4/29/2019 at 12:01 PM, Sir Greg said:

I made this map on Google Maps Engine that overlays the lines with their actual routes. It's fairly up to date, near as I can tell.

More info here if you're curious

Apart from the spelling of the "Gray" line, the route is also somewhat wrong. The dark grey line will terminate at Thonglor and the light grey line is somewhere further out in the future.

On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 1:33 PM, sidgy said:

Very good, I can only imagine the time and effort you have put into this. I note you have the purple line following Rat Burana road as opposed to Suk Sawat, Is this a definite? My wife seems pretty adamant it will follow Suk Sawat

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile appplease note, my wife (Thai) is no authority and generally goes with what she feels to be correct

The MRTA website clearly says it will follow Suk Sawat, and I have since found this map in a Bangkok Expressway and Metro (BEM) presentation showing the same, though, coming from a pdf of a Powerpoint presentation, it's not the best resolution.  A decent one must be available somewhere.

image.png.195a6f4c48001452ceea5cf883e1abcc.png

• Like 1

The MRTA website clearly says it will follow Suk Sawat, and I have since found this map in a Bangkok Expressway and Metro (BEM) presentation showing the same, though, coming from a pdf of a Powerpoint presentation, it's not the best resolution.  A decent one must be available somewhere.
image.png.195a6f4c48001452ceea5cf883e1abcc.png

Thank you Ballpoint. Your time and trouble taken is much appreciated

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/17/2019 at 5:13 PM, FarangryBirds said:

When I used it today, it was a nice surprise being able to ride from Asok to Paknam without changing trains at Samrong.

As far as I could see from my Line Pay, still free to ride between Samrong to Kheha.

Took it from Asoke to Samut Prakan Immigration. Pleasant drive, avoid the car traffic.

I had maybe 5 people driving with me in one train. Still super unused, but I expect more and more to come along the line e.g. condos and malls in the near future which will drive people into the trains.

I didn't mind these half seated trains, but let's see when they are full.

On 5/17/2019 at 5:13 PM, FarangryBirds said:

When I used it today, it was a nice surprise being able to ride from Asok to Paknam without changing trains at Samrong.

Paknam makes for a pleasant little excursion, but one thing really baffled me about the place is the inordinate number of barber and hairdresser shops there. Must have seen more than 20 around the streets there. 

On 5/2/2019 at 2:36 PM, burner2014 said:

Does anyone know when this light green one is built or planned to be built?

Screenshot 2019-05-02 14.35.55.png

When the BTS ext from On Nut to Bearing opened in August 2011 (2 years late due to a BMA official being scared to issue the S&E tender), provision was made for a spur line to run down Bang Na-Trat rd to the airport. You'll see the viaduct widen after Udom Suk and a little before the intersection - actually right at suk soi 103/4 where the huge block of land is for the future "largest shopping center in asia" and just adjacent where the new Eastern Bus terminal will be located.

This spur line was never part of the original BTS expansion plans nor the original M-Map Master plan, but was added as an idea by the BMA around 2006/7 to cater for the future T3 at the airport and provide an alternate route for the then yet to be built ARL. M-Map has since been updated in 2017, but still does not include this line.

Subsequently, Samak Prakan City Hall proposed to OTP in MOT that it be a light rail line. However, they also had the idea 3 years ago to build a LRL providing a link from City Hall up Srinakarin rd to Bang NaTrat then east so they need to resolve these two ideas. Currently, we need a bunch of lines and exts (Purple South, Blue west, Orange west, Brown line, BTS Silom west est) to progress to tendering before this line is resolved.

Someone asked me a few years in the previous thread when this will be built. At the time, I suggest not until after 2023-2025 at the earliest but now the latter date is more plausible. The delays with construction of T2 and with T3 not even being approved also delay this line as it will essentially run to T3 and the APM that will be built linking the terminals. That's not to say a line along the Bang Na - Trat corridor is not currently needed, only that there are other pieces of the network that need to be in place first.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lamyai3 said:

Paknam makes for a pleasant little excursion, but one thing really baffled me about the place is the inordinate number of barber and hairdresser shops there. Must have seen more than 20 around the streets there. 

As the local saying goes, "Samut Prakan province is a cut above the rest!"

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, Lakegeneve said:
Progress of civil works for lines currently under construction (as of 30 Sept);

1) MRT Blue Line ext: 100% - S&E installation: 61%
2) BTS Northern ext: 79%
3) MRT Orange Line: 18.33%
4) MRT Pink line: 10.57% and
5) MRT Yellow line: 9.61%
6) SRT Dark Red Line: 97.94%
7) Tinky toy 2.2km Gold Line: approx 7%

Any information about opening of the SRT dark red line?

Current BTS North extension dates.

• N9 (Central Lad Prao) opening August 12th this year (my understanding is that it will be free initially).
  • N10-N13 opening December this year.
  • Rest of the extension opening December 2020.

• Like 1

On 6/7/2019 at 6:56 PM, CLW said:

Any information about opening of the SRT dark red line?

October 2020 is the current date (it was previously 1st quarter 2021). However, that depends on two external factors; delivery of the rolling stock which the SRT ordered late and completion of the new Bang Sue Terminal.

When construction finally commenced in mid 2013 after a 2.5 yr contractual delay, it was said that it would be open by late 2016. The delay is huge in that context. Not to forget that the 15km SRT Light Red line was built from in less than 3 yrs (Jan 2010 to Sept 2012). 

The 10km ext from Rangsit to Thammasat Uni was approved in 2017 and was due to be tendered late last year so hopefully this will be done in the post election period. The 11km 1st part of the southern ext from Bang Sue to Hua lumphong was approved a few years ago. However, this will have to wait while the designs for the Eastern HSR line was finalised as the first section will be from DMK to Phaya Thai to link with the ARL. 

The whole SRT Dark Red line will eventually be some 87kms long when completed some time next century!

• Like 2

Current BTS North extension dates.
  • N9 (Central Lad Prao) opening August 12th this year (my understanding is that it will be free initially).
  • N10-N13 opening December this year.
  • Rest of the extension opening December 2020.

So if I count correctly, N13 is Kasetsart University?
Thank God, finally getting there without traffic jam...

October 2020 is the current date (it was previously 1st quarter 2021). However, that depends on two external factors; delivery of the rolling stock which the SRT ordered late and completion of the new Bang Sue Terminal.

When construction finally commenced in mid 2013 after a 2.5 yr contractual delay, it was said that it would be open by late 2016. The delay is huge in that context. Not to forget that the 15km SRT Light Red line was built from in less than 3 yrs (Jan 2010 to Sept 2012). 

The 10km ext from Rangsit to Thammasat Uni was approved in 2017 and was due to be tendered late last year so hopefully this will be done in the post election period. The 11km 1st part of the southern ext from Bang Sue to Hua lumphong was approved a few years ago. However, this will have to wait while the designs for the Eastern HSR line was finalised as the first section will be from DMK to Phaya Thai to link with the ARL. 

The whole SRT Dark Red line will eventually be some 87kms long when completed some time next century!
That sounds like a never ending story. I can remember some stations have been completed at least 7 years ago if I remember correctly. I passed them with the regular SRT train to the south

18 hours ago, Lakegeneve said:

I need a map to guide me, so others might as well.

bangkok-metro-2029.jpg