The New Skytrain (continued for 2019)

Jonathan Fairfield

18 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

No, it's the Yellow Line monorail, isn't it? From Rachada, along Lat Phrao, Sri Nakarin and ending up at Samrong where it connects with the BTS. 

Connects to the ARL at Hua Mark. Gonna make my journey to work so much easier when it's finally finished. 

OK stand corrected.

58 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

No, it's the Yellow Line monorail, isn't it? From Rachada, along Lat Phrao, Sri Nakarin and ending up at Samrong where it connects with the BTS. 

Connects to the ARL at Hua Mark. Gonna make my journey to work so much easier when it's finally finished. 

Good to know, thanks. Seems to be progressing well so far.

On 8/13/2019 at 5:26 PM, Crossy said:

I'm quite surprised that nobody has commented yet on the (lack of) modifications to Mo Chit station to cope with northbound passengers ????

Many times, Mo Chit can't cope with passengers before any extension. I've seen lines running down the stairway to the street!

All the train systems are woefully lacking.

Edited by Curt1591

3 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Correct.

bangkok-metro-2029.jpg

2 hours ago, dantilley said:

Found this:

http://www.mappery.com/map-of/Bangkok-Rail-Transit-Network-Map

Are those the real station names?! "Happy Land" for example? Also they have the old name of "Seri Centre" which changed to be Paradise Park a few years ago.

This was the first real attempt at drawing a future network map done by Khun Zoowatch (a scientist and rail enthusiast) back in 04/05. He stopped updating it about 08/09 given the constant delays in new routes being tendered. Thus, a lot of station names were inserted as place names as exact plans were not advanced

Honestly, there are already a bunch of maps posted on this thread and all one needs to do is to look back a few pages.....there are literally 4 maps posted 5 pages back!

Edited by Lakegeneve

29 minutes ago, Lakegeneve said:

This was the first real attempt at drawing a future network map done by Khun Zoowatch (a scientist and rail enthusiast) back in 04/05. He stopped updating it about 08/09 given the constant delays in new routes being tendered. Thus, a lot of station names were inserted as place names as exact plans were not advanced

Honestly, there are already a bunch of maps posted on this thread and all one needs to do is to look back a few pages.....there are literally 4 maps posted 5 pages back!

Good point - like this one for example: 

On 6/9/2019 at 4:12 PM, Lakegeneve said:

October 2020 is the current date (it was previously 1st quarter 2021). However, that depends on two external factors; delivery of the rolling stock which the SRT ordered late and completion of the new Bang Sue Terminal.

When construction finally commenced in mid 2013 after a 2.5 yr contractual delay, it was said that it would be open by late 2016. The delay is huge in that context. Not to forget that the 15km SRT Light Red line was built from in less than 3 yrs (Jan 2010 to Sept 2012). 

The 10km ext from Rangsit to Thammasat Uni was approved in 2017 and was due to be tendered late last year so hopefully this will be done in the post election period. The 11km 1st part of the southern ext from Bang Sue to Hua lumphong was approved a few years ago. However, this will have to wait while the designs for the Eastern HSR line was finalised as the first section will be from DMK to Phaya Thai to link with the ARL. 

The whole SRT Dark Red line will eventually be some 87kms long when completed some time next century!

^ Again, quite often the info you might be seeking is in the thread a few pages back.....

Yes, AOT and SRT are building a pedestrian link on the northern side of the station which will go through the car park on the south side of T2.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lakegeneve said:

^ Again, quite often the info you might be seeking is in the thread a few pages back.....

Yes, AOT and SRT are building a pedestrian link on the northern side of the station which will go through the car park on the south side of T2.

Thanks for the info - I missed the previous post. Any idea of the actual go live date?

2 minutes ago, Lakegeneve said:

"October 2020 is the current date" but with the two caveats in the 2nd sentence. It will change....

Thank you again. I did not make the link between Oct 2020 and DMK. It will be a godsend when it opens to get into town. The airport link from Suvarnabhumi has its knockers but I find it a very good way to get into Ploenchit via Phaya Thai. Certainly beats taxis and traffic jams. I once had a 1.5 hour flight from Myanmar to Swampy and then a 2.5 hour taxi ride to get to Ploenchit. Never again.

7 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

Thank you again. I did not make the link between Oct 2020 and DMK. It will be a godsend when it opens to get into town. 

Just remember that it won't be opening into town! The first section is from DMK to the new Bang Sue Terminal, you'll then need to change to the MRT if you want to go into town.

Next section will be 10kms north DMK to Thammasat Uni and south Bang Sue to Hualumphong. As mentioned above, eventually the SRT Dark Red Line will be some 87km long running from Thammassat Uni to Mahachai (Samut Sakhon). Probably completed in the 2030s....

The Eastern HSR line (it will now be the ARL extension and take over the ARL) will be built from DMK to Phayathai (1st stage) before the SRT gets around to building the section south of Bang Sue. That means a whole new viaduct running along side the SRT Dark Red line and new station at DMK.

Edited by Lakegeneve
  • Like 2

Which line is currently being constructed along Sri Nakarin Road, and which of the existing stations will it connect with? I'd guess Hua Mak Airport Link station at one end?
I've seen signs on the road at the Ratchada end of the yellow line saying works will be complete by the end of September 2021.

I'm not holding my breath given the current progress, not all pillars up yet along Ladprao and certainly no sign of any track or stations yet.

19 hours ago, FarangryBirds said:

I've seen signs on the road at the Ratchada end of the yellow line saying works will be complete by the end of September 2021.

I'm not holding my breath given the current progress, not all pillars up yet along Ladprao and certainly no sign of any track or stations yet.

You never know. But driving there weekly it seems they quite getting progress done. I could see it finish end of 2020, but considering testing and all that stuff it will be most probably Q2 2021 or so going live.

Considering that construction work didn't effectively start until Feb/March 2018 and they are now at the 40% mark they are making significant progress. BMCL said that they need these two lines to commence ops as soon as possible given that it is their own investment - as BSR consortium.

Current Progress at end of July
1) MRT Yellow line - 39.92%,
2) MRT Pink Line - 40.13%,
3) MRT Orange line 42.27%

One thing that has recently become apparent is that the Yellow line extension north along Ratchada rd from Latphrao station to Ratchayothin intersection to connect with the BTS Sukhumvit line will not happen. BEM is complaining to the MRTA that they will lose pax revenue and are effectively blocking it - for those Yellow line pax wanting to go 1-2 stations to the BTS via MRT Blue line. This extension makes sense to provide another link and provide mass transit along a busy section of Ratchada with some major institutions (BKK Courts, uni, Export hall etc)

This is patently absurd, the MRTA should just stand up to BEM as it is entirely their decision. After all, the flawed private concessionaire model is meant to be about "commercial competition" is it not.......!
Pathetic blockade attempt from BEM.
Clearly not focused on passengers benefit but rather their own profits.
The government as concessionary should take a ruling there.

On 8/17/2019 at 2:38 PM, blackcab said:

@Lakegeneve Is there any clarity regarding how the grey line will get from Thong Lo to Rama 4 via Sukhumvit 38?

Will it mean demolishing properties at the start of Sukhumvit 38 and also demolishing a path between the end of Sukhumvit 38 and Rama 4?

I wrote this on the old thread back on 31 July 2017 in reply to another query;

The current status of the Grey line is that it is still a proposed BMA line which is still being designed and needs an updated EIA. There have been many changes with the line no longer going to Chong Nongsi. The issue of beyond Thonglor. The problem of passing over the BTS line at Thonglor was a major factor in shortening the line with a tunnel option not realistically considered. The BMA is trying to acquire some land near the Kaset intersection for a depot and has ongoing negotiations with EXAT for site and right of way access along the expressway. Once that is done a new EIA will be completed.

The hype of the then BMA Gov back in 2013 saying that it would be done in 2-3 yrs of course came to nothing. The BMA and MOT are looking at it being a privately funded line similar to the Pink and Yellow lines. The BMA has funded 60m baht for a study of Phase 2 (along Rama 4 and Rama3).

The BMA has also had a few other line issues with the MRTA trying to offload the BTS exts to the BMA, the privately funded Gold line and residents wanting the Bang Wah to Taling Chan ext built. I've listed it as possible for tender in 2018/19, 2019 seems more realistic. My thoughts are that the BMA should just focus on and build the section from Wacharaphol (Pink Line) to Rama 9 (Orange line) first whilst working out what to do with the Thonglor/Suk soi 38 section - which should probably go underground and then continue to Rama 4 where it could then run elevated until Lumpini/Sathon rd.

Lastly, I don't agree with the Phase 2 of this line along Rama 3 and Ratchadapisek ring rd to link with the Blue Line at Tha Phra (essentially replacing the BRT line). It would be better to extend the Blue line south from Tha Phra or build another heavy rail line for this Ratchada/Rama 3 section. (A reminder that one of the original 3 BTS extensions was going to be from Chong Nongsi down Narathiwat rd and then along Rama 3).

BMA (or MRTA) Grey Line

The Grey line is a proposed 15km, 16.3km monorail line running from Ram Inthra to Thong Lor BTS and is part of the current M-Map2 Master plan. Back in late 2011, the Yingluck govt said that it was not going to build the Grey or Light Blue lines as they were not priorities. BMA was suggested to do the line. In mid 2013 the BMA said that they would tender the line as  priority by early 2014 and that it would be operational in early 2018. However, the BMA ran into some problems with EXAT as it owns the right of way along the Chalongrat Expressway/Pradit Monutham rd corridor. The location of finding land for a depot was a major problem. Thong lor residents also objected to the route (not wanting public transport 'riff raff' passing through their area no doubt!).

maps.jpg

The BMA also came up with the idea to extend the Grey line along Rama 4 rd and then along Rama 3 rd/Ratchadapisek rd to essentially replace the BRT which wasn't generating the expected pax numbers (due to a lack of a dedicated bus lane the whole route). It would also provide a good link to the BTS Silom line, SRT Dark Red line & MRT Blue line at Tha Phra. However, the section between Thong Lor BTS and Rama 4 (the red dotted line in the map) provide major engineering difficulties unless the line was underground, which it was not proposed to be. Thus, it was though easier to just run it from the end of Rama 4 rd and Phrakanong BTS station. (Note: for those that remember one of the 3 original proposed BTS exts was going to be from Chong Nonsi station south to Rama 3 and west along Rama 3....the current BRT route).

Some suggested basic plans were proposed for running the line down soi 38 but they are not very realistic as soi 38 is too narrow for the whole section to Rama4;

gray%20line2.jpg

gray%20line1.jpg

After some problems with the EIA in 2015/16 the BMA let progress slide. In mid 2018, the BMA gov said that they were going to revive the project but then a few months later the MRTA Gov said that the MRTA should do it as it would provide good connections with the MRT Pink, Yellow and Brown lines - which is very true. The MRTA could also use their experience of working with EXAT on the Brown line. (Note: EXAT is currently doing integrated design for the Brown line and N% Expressway along the Kaset-Namawing rd section). 

Summary

Once the Brown line is designed and tendered next year, I think that the MRTA will progress the Grey line and look to tender it in 2021/22. However, only the original 16km section from Rama Inhtra to Thong Lor as it provides a good N-S link with the 3 monorail lines.

For the remaining Phase 2 and Phase 3 proposals, I really think that the MRTA Blue line should just be extended south from Tha Phra along Ratchadapisek, over the river and along Rama 3 to terminate at Narithiwat rd. The BRT line should be kept but extended along Sathon rd and up Wirelss rd to Sukhumvit rd to link with the BTS there. (Or dispense with the BRT and run the Blue line up to terminate at Chong Nongsi.

I really don't believe that a new line along Rama 4 should be a priority until decades later given the proximity of the parallel BTS Suk line and the fact that the MRT Blue line runs along over half of Rama 4. There are more pressing areas in need of mass transit first. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for that, I do appreciate it. The only thing with Rama 4 is that there is a lot of development there right now. The One is going to provide office space for 50,000 workers alone, plus a 1,200 capacity hotel and all the other usual retail outlets, etc.

It will of course be some time before it is finished and even then the office space might not run at capacity.

It's a lot of people in one location though.

7 hours ago, Lakegeneve said:

Current Progress at end of July

1) MRT Yellow line - 39.92%,

2) MRT Pink Line - 40.13%,

3) MRT Orange line 42.27%

Hi LG,

With all mass transit or infrastructure projects we always see progress reports like that - super accurate two decimal point percentages.  39.92%.  40.13% etc.

I've always been intrigued how they are calculated.  Is it just physical construction, or does it include signalling and testing?  Basically what is it a percentage of and how is it calculated?

Edited by josephbloggs

16 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Hi LG,

With all mass transit or infrastructure projects we always see progress reports like that - super accurate two decimal point percentages.  39.92%.  40.13% etc.

I've always been intrigued how they are calculated.  Is it just physical construction, or does it include signalling and testing?  Basically what is it a percentage of and how is it calculated?

It's the total overall construction progress of the civil works - stations, tunnels or viaduct, any pedestrian links and other related construction. Signalling & electrical installation is commonly done afterwards though some can be done at the same time. You'll note that for the previous update there was a % for this for the Blue line.

As an example, here is the MRTA update of all the various contracts of the Orange line up to the end of July. The 42.27% is thus, the overall figure. 

Contract 1 is for 6.29km underground and 4 underground stations from Thai Cultural Centre interchange station to Rankhamhaeng 12 station.

Contract 2 is for 3.44km underground and 4 underground stations from Ramkhamheang 12 station to Hua Mark station.

Contract 3 is for 4.04km underground and 3 underground stations from Hua Mark station to Klong Ban Ma station.

Contract 4 is 8.8km and 7 elevated stations from Klong Ban Ma to Suwinthawong terminus station

68581147_642831689529519_266667484252209

• Like 1

On 8/18/2019 at 4:06 PM, blackcab said:

Thank you for that, I do appreciate it. The only thing with Rama 4 is that there is a lot of development there right now. The One is going to provide office space for 50,000 workers alone, plus a 1,200 capacity hotel and all the other usual retail outlets, etc.

It will of course be some time before it is finished and even then the office space might not run at capacity.

It's a lot of people in one location though.

I should correct something in my post, it should obviously be soi 40 NOT soi 38. (I was reflecting about the old the food stalls at 38 when I posted this so my stomach overpowered my brain!)

The One is a huge project and has taken a long time to get to this early construction stage given how many years ago the Night market was demolished. However, that project is already serviced by MRT Lumpini station so there still doesn't seem to be a compelling need to duplicate this section of Rama 4 with another mass transit line. (If The One developers are smart they will be building an underground direct link to Lumpini station). An extended BRT running along Sathon and Wireless rd however would provide good connections to both BTS lines for those at The One. The area is proximate to 3 mass transit lines so I'd still be suggesting that other areas of BKK deserve priority first. 

Let's see if the MRTA does indeed take back the Grey line and if they get around to tendering it in the next 2 years first. 

• Thanks 1

(free) MRT extension to Tha Phra on the Thonburi side of the river.

When will it be fully operational? (is it closing at 4pm everyday currently?)

The Stations are marked on Google Maps but not the train line. When will google mark out the line? (you can see on this map that the current blue line is clearly shown in blue up to Hua Lamphong)

345104338_1MRTline.JPG.890747ae954f229043cde4b10509cf87.JPG

Converting Sapan Taksin to dual track will not be easy with the limited space available. Will they have to completely demolish the existing station and raise the line above the highway bridge?

This will take years to complete and be a major disruption for Silom line.

He admitted that there is a restriction on the Silom Line due to the bottleneck at Taksin station, where trains are required to share a single section of track.

However, he said the company is in the process of getting permission from the Rural Highway Department and the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment to expand the section to dual tracks.

Source: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/bts-adds-27-more-trains-to-serve-bangkok-commuters