The Official Manchester United Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

Sori lads .. it gets worse cavani hasn't  played since june.. Kane was as rusty as <deleted> when he came bac from 6 months out and still ain't quite 'there'.. and he was 26.. at 33... Well sori.. at that stage you DONT just pic up from where you left of...I could be wrong but i'de say your in for a rough ride with him..

51 minutes ago, 3 minus 2 said:

Sori lads .. it gets worse cavani hasn't  played since june.. Kane was as rusty as <deleted> when he came bac from 6 months out and still ain't quite 'there'.. and he was 26.. at 33... Well sori.. at that stage you DONT just pic up from where you left of...I could be wrong but i'de say your in for a rough ride with him..

Yeah he looks more like being a Falcao than an Ibra......but you never know. He can take the kids like Greenwood and Maguire (????) under his wing and show them the correct way of doing things. 

• Like 1

Just now, Kadilo said:

Yeah he looks more like being a Falcao than an Ibra......but you never know. He can take the kids like Greenwood and Maguire (????) under his wing and show them the correct way of doing things. 

Question mark over his fitness, but not over his professionalism, selflessness and work ethic which is coming across again and again in assessments of him from people that know him well.

As a free transfer (albeit with fairly high wages), there isn't too much to lose. He is a player I have watched in the past and thought he could do a good job for United. Only time will tell. 

1 hour ago, RickG16 said:

Question mark over his fitness, but not over his professionalism, selflessness and work ethic which is coming across again and again in assessments of him from people that know him well.

As a free transfer (albeit with fairly high wages), there isn't too much to lose. He is a player I have watched in the past and thought he could do a good job for United. Only time will tell. 

Yeah.... From what I've seen  for the system you've play , it's Similar to joses, you really need a 'classic' center forward who can hold and distribute,, martial tries and he's halfway there.. but 2 me he still looks better playin of someone as do your other lads..so perhaps he can do a sheringham and 'effect' the game without pace.. just touch and nouise... I'm still thinkin tho  6 months without competative footie at 33.. BIG ask.falcao had time on his hands he was a heap younger  and reinvented himself, ok took a step down to do it

... The last classic  older center forward that suffered from   lack of 'real game time I can think of was llorente..  and boy did it show.. you could see he had class and could do the job..and some of his stats were... WOW  but he was SO ring rusty  and he never missed 6 months and  didn't miss pre season and was never away from a  squad..

Oh ps.. I've been on about this ex Exeter kid for ??? Years .. Ollie watkins... He could develop into the 'real deal' as an old school cf..he needs to strengthen up a bit.. but NO DOUBTS  he's got the footballing quality and most importantly HE LEARNS.. watch him.. he'll develop..

2 minutes ago, 3 minus 2 said:

Yeah.... From what I've seen  for the system you've play , it's Similar to joses, you really need a 'classic' center forward who can hold and distribute,, martial tries and he's halfway there.. but 2 me he still looks better playin of someone as do your other lads..so perhaps he can do a sheringham and 'effect' the game without pace.. just touch and nouise... I'm still thinkin tho  6 months without competative footie at 33.. BIG ask.falcao had time on his hands he was a heap younger  and reinvented himself, ok took a step down to do it

... The last classic  older center forward that suffered from   lack of 'real game time I can think of was llorente..  and boy did it show.. you could see he had class and could do the job..and some of his stats were... WOW  but he was SO ring rusty  and he never missed 6 months and  didn't miss pre season and was never away from a  squad..

Oh ps.. I've been on about this ex Exeter kid for ??? Years .. Ollie watkins... He could develop into the 'real deal' as an old school cf..he needs to strengthen up a bit.. but NO DOUBTS  he's got the footballing quality and most importantly HE LEARNS.. watch him.. he'll develop..

It's a reactive mention though. I do admit when that game was coming on first player I thought about was the unknown in watkins but come on now talk about backing a front runner. Give it time he has not even played in a proper packed prem stadium yet so way too early to start backing him or any other starlet breaking through this season.

As for this so called united fan backing cavani. 

He's never played in such a fast league very big risk and if given the choice no united fan would have mentioned him let alone chose him and he has been available on a free for over 3 months.

1 hour ago, Jack Hna said:

It's a reactive mention though. I do admit when that game was coming on first player I thought about was the unknown in watkins but come on now talk about backing a front runner. Give it time he has not even played in a proper packed prem stadium yet so way too early to start backing him or any other starlet breaking through this season.

As for this so called united fan backing cavani. 

He's never played in such a fast league very big risk and if given the choice no united fan would have mentioned him let alone chose him and he has been available on a free for over 3 months.

I don't really understand your first point... But yeah no one's saayin its gonna b overnight.. but this kid has steadied himself at EVERY level and excelled   div 2 he came from nowhere at Exeter to  winning the EFL young plaer of the year. Same as Deli Ali and top scored for Exeter had a steady first ish season at Brentford ..playin wider left in a front 3 .scorin well into double figures ... Smith always said he'd be a no 9 so  a season in the middle he gets approachin 30.... Beatin mitrovich at fulham... Trust me this boy is the real deal   and I don't blow my own... But I don't say these things lightly..smokey will bac me ..when I big up players  àSMOKEY who was the last young no 9 i bigged up that you were unsure of?     i'de have a friendly bet that within the next 2 seasons he'll be in the England mix and by the time he's 26/27  a move to a champ  lge club.  That as injuries permitting

.. sayin that Smith is no idiot  and he has Chinese money behind him..and villa have HUGE potential

So who knows...

Edited by 3 minus 2

36 minutes ago, 3 minus 2 said:

I don't really understand your first point... But yeah no one's saayin its gonna b overnight.. but this kid has steadied himself at EVERY level and excelled   div 2 he came from nowhere at Exeter to  winning the EFL young plaer of the year. Same as Deli Ali and top scored for Exeter had a steady first ish season at Brentford ..playin wider left in a front 3 .scorin well into double figures ... Smith always said he'd be a no 9 so  a season in the middle he gets approachin 30.... Beatin mitrovich at fulham... Trust me this boy is the real deal   and I don't blow my own... But I don't say these things lightly..smokey will bac me ..when I big up players  àSMOKEY who was the last young no 9 i bigged up that you were unsure of?     i'de have a friendly bet that within the next 2 seasons he'll be in the England mix and by the time he's 26/27  a move to a champ  lge club.  That as injuries permitting

.. sayin that Smith is no idiot  and he has Chinese money behind him..and villa have HUGE potential

So who knows...

Nah if this lad had not scored that hat trick you would not be saying this now. He's 24 he's got a way to go but he could get in the england set up but he's no mainstay and this virus and lack of stadium presence is helping forwards. So it's way too early for this type of talk. Sane needs to be said about calvert lewin. Will they emulate this in a packed stadium. Very hard to see them doing it I. Front of 30k fans. 

20 minutes ago, Jack Hna said:

Nah if this lad had not scored that hat trick you would not be saying this now. He's 24 he's got a way to go but he could get in the england set up but he's no mainstay and this virus and lack of stadium presence is helping forwards. So it's way too early for this type of talk. Sane needs to be said about calvert lewin. Will they emulate this in a packed stadium. Very hard to see them doing it I. Front of 30k fans. 

Mate u may choose to ignore what I've actually said and apply your own train of thought to your answer but be assured  it has little to do with the hattrick   ok gettin of the mark in the prem can be an issue. And it's a hurdle to be noted and pressure.. well lookin to get your first prem goal,   your presented with  an open goal to put your team Infront of none other than the current  lge champs... NO PRESSURE ... I've seen mmmmanny a seasoned pro fold in similar circ's,   but he stayed composed and did the right things... and the second from his time playin on the lhs for brentford  he cut in from the lhs  and  bent one into the top rhc

what will separate him. From the PAC is he learns. , He's bright.  but to reiterate I've been saying about Watkins ain't bout the hatrick I've beennsayin it  for about  4 or more years...probably just after  I watched him Makin his debut for exeter.  And the fans factor, whilst it is a factor... It's  A plus as much as it's a neg..ie home v away... and I bet/know  if youd ask any old pros they'de tell you it's a bigger plus than a neg.. but that'll do from me for watkins  I'll leave the rest to him but hey remember this conversation..   

2 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Edinson Cavani joined Man Utd on deadline day but he will have to wait to make his debut for the club as he has to quarantine.

He misses the Newcastle game I think can play against PSG

6 months of no competative  footie you reckon he'd be fit? 

3 minutes ago, 3 minus 2 said:

His debut is already being anticipated... There's gonna be NO breathing space for this guy.. he HAS to  hit the ground running.. rightly or wrongly  expectations are high..

What are you talking about. We have already all cast doubt about his age and fitness, so I don't think the expectations are that high. 

He might not even be a first team player initially. Far more expectations on the likes of Pogba, Bruno and Maguire. As there should be. 

1 minute ago, RickG16 said:

What are you talking about. We have already all cast doubt about his age and fitness, so I don't think the expectations are that high. 

He might not even be a first team player initially. Far more expectations on the likes of Pogba, Bruno and Maguire. As there should be. 

Now the transfer window is closed the news this morning is Pogba wants to leave for Juve the way he's been playing recently Accrington Stanley is his limit

Just now, ChipButty said:

Now the transfer window is closed the news this morning is Pogba wants to leave for Juve the way he's been playing recently Accrington Stanley is his limit

I think it's still open in Europe though right?

IMO let him go if we can get good money. Already overloaded with no 10s, I don't like him further back, and I don't think Pog will ever be the player we hoped he would be. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RickG16 said:

I think it's still open in Europe though right?

IMO let him go if we can get good money. Already overloaded with no 10s, I don't like him further back, and I don't think Pog will ever be the player we hoped he would be. 

In Italy I think it closed they only just made the Smalling deal by 6 minutes, there are some countries still open till later in the month, Portugal being one

On 10/5/2020 at 11:49 AM, RickG16 said:

On the flip side this isn't just about the Glazers. We know Ole loves talking about finishing and strikers, but does he or his coaches know how to set out a team defensively? 

I don't believe he does know how to set out his team defensively, or for that matter how to give the back line some cover in midfield.

Luke Shaw has, IMO, failed to live up to his early promise, and his positional awareness of the opposition is very poor and has been for some time, and indeed the foul on Lucas Moura (?) was abysmal/pathetic and I would never have picked him again in my team. The problem he has is that Williams is not natural on his left foot and it limits his options going forward, so buying a new left wing back was necessary.

On the other side of the back line they have a problem, with Bissaka being very naïve positional wise, although he does make some positive contribution going forward.

As for the backline middle pairing, well they are often caught square and in that case one cannot give the other any cover and they are suckers for intelligent front runners as has been seen on many occasions.

Pogba was a disgrace, showing no enthusiasm whatsoever in anything he did, and I believe United should have let him go when there were some offers on the table, and OGS saying that he wanted to build a team around him, for me, means that OGS is not the right man for the job and has no idea about leaders.

OGS is tactically naïve and inexperienced and should never have been appointed in the first place, and now you have the situation where United have embarked upon some "panic buying" but even that will not ensure they finish in the "medals" this year. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, xylophone said:

I don't believe he does know how to set out his team defensively, or for that matter how to give the back line some cover in midfield.

Luke Shaw has, IMO, failed to live up to his early promise, and his positional awareness of the opposition is very poor and has been for some time, and indeed the foul on Lucas Moura (?) was abysmal/pathetic and I would never have picked him again in my team. The problem he has is that Williams is not natural on his left foot and it limits his options going forward, so buying a new left wing back was necessary.

On the other side of the back line they have a problem, with Bissaka being very naïve positional wise, although he does make some positive contribution going forward.

As for the backline middle pairing, well they are often caught square and in that case one cannot give the other any cover and they are suckers for intelligent front runners as has been seen on many occasions.

Pogba was a disgrace, showing no enthusiasm whatsoever in anything he did, and I believe United should have let him go when there were some offers on the table, and OGS saying that he wanted to build a team around him, for me, means that OGS is not the right man for the job and has no idea about leaders.

OGS is tactically naïve and inexperienced and should never have been appointed in the first place, and now you have the situation where United have embarked upon some "panic buying" but even that will not ensure they finish in the "medals" this year. 

He's learning on the job, lucky if we finish 10th this season and I dont think Pochettino is the answer 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, xylophone said:

They've already got one poser/lazy <deleted> in the team, why sign another? ????

I really don't agree with the lazy poser image of Pogba. But I understand why a guy with a languid playing style who dyes his hair occasionally can fall into that group. 

I think his problem isn't lack of effort, it's that he's a luxury player who needs two insurance policies behind him to be effective. He doesn't have the mindset or awareness to be a true central midfielder. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

I really don't agree with the lazy poser image of Pogba. But I understand why a guy with a languid playing style who dyes his hair occasionally can fall into that group. 

I think his problem isn't lack of effort, it's that he's a luxury player who needs two insurance policies behind him to be effective. He doesn't have the mindset or awareness to be a true central midfielder. 

You mean he has potential?

Interesting fact for you guys,

Regarding Cavani he has averaged 24 goals per season over the last 10 years so that make him 4th behind Messi, Ronaldo and Suarez so two Uruguayans in the top 4 not saying he's going to do it at United

3 hours ago, RickG16 said:

Yeah.. when it boils down  pogba fancies himself as an attacking middie... For that to happen and be at the TOP LEVEL he has to effect the game ie  goals probably 10 plus and assists. In the system Olli plays he has to do his share of trackin bac. He's failin at the first  atm NOT cos of abilty..but. Cos you ain't got a couple of decent holdin middies to cover the attackin boys <deleted>.. and the second.. he obviously like many 'flair' creative middies he lets slip on the trackin back ...Ali's falls in the same 'bracket' atm except pogba is just slack at trackin bac.  Ali is TRULY woeful..

12 hours ago, xylophone said:

I had to check I was reading this and it was dated today.

Luke Shaw has failed to live up to his early promise?

He has been there 6 years and you think it's only your opinion. It's a fact pal. Absolute wasted of space like your whole defence. 

5 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Regarding Cavani he has averaged 24 goals per season over the last 10 years so that make him 4th behind Messi, Ronaldo and Suarez so two Uruguayans in the top 4 not saying he's going to do it at United

He is simply a massive risk.

7 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Yeah impressive. And this ain't runnin it down ..but you have to put it into context  7 of those 10 years are in lig1 which is WAY below seria a. La Liga and the prem ...  So impressive but comparing his stats to Ronnie Suarez ect ect,. WAY of the mark.. but lookin bac pretty AMAZING stats at Napoli b4 he went for the pay cheque at psg... But that was 7 years ago ... And then bung 6 months out... And at 33...ain't such an impressive pic 

.. personally I hope he does well but do I think he will?  I'de go   60/40 against

Just now, 3 minus 2 said:

Yeah impressive. And this ain't runnin it down ..but you have to put it into context  7 of those 10 years are in lig1 which is WAY below seria a. La Liga and the prem ...  So impressive but comparing his stats to Ronnie Suarez ect ect,. WAY of the mark.. but lookin bac pretty AMAZING stats at Napoli b4 he went for the pay cheque at psg... But that was 7 years ago ... And then bung 6 months out... And at 33...ain't such an impressive pic 

.. personally I hope he does well but do I think he will?  I'de go   60/40 against

Yeah I had a look at his stats too and I actually think he will do well providing he can just focus on playing football and not get dragged down by the lack of professionalism that surrounds the players right through the club from the board to the manager and so e of his team mates like captain kidnap.

Tremendous stats and still in absolute peak condition by all accounts. He is at least 2 years younger than zlatan was when he joined this outfit. He was outshone in the PSG team whilst zlatan was there, 3 full seasons played together Zlat got 121 goals and Cav got 81 but still very good.

Surprised no one else was onto him.