The Official Manchester United Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

No. Sancho deal is dead. Dembele still a possibility. 

He’s a decent player but you don’t need him. You have an abundance of young talented players who play in that position. 

What you don’t have is enough decent defenders. 

5 minutes ago, RonniePickering22 said:

Its the great car crash club now....wonderful entertainment!

There were several Mourinho-esque elements to the game which illustrated his theory of 'it's better to be <deleted> than nice guys'

The first was the complete lie that Son would be out until after the international break. I bought it and took him out of my fantasy team, and I suspect Ole bought it too.

Then there was Lamela throwing himself on the ground. Like it or not, that it street wise football at the highest level and I'm sure Mourinho wouldn't have been telling him off for it 

5 hours ago, RickG16 said:

Do you need reminding that you got stuffed 5-2 in recent days. And that was with 11 men on the park. And With more of a preseason than us. 

No I don't need reminding. But this made the pain go away.

And we had the same pre season as you, as we were in the champs league

4 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Wrong. We got to the semi-final of the Europa. You only got to the Q-F. We had less break than any team.

I’m struggling to understand how you having less of a break has contributed to Maguire and Shaw forgetting how to defend and continuously being out of position. 

Are you saying they are tired?

12 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

What you don’t have is enough decent defenders. 

True. But I think the best we can hope for is hanging on to Smalling. One of our more outspoken fans made the point that Smalling won two titles, made about 200 appearances under Fergie (need to check that), and tbh for his limitations has to offer more than what we are getting right now.

And he's coming off a very good season at Roma. You wouldn't say Smalling was leadership material, but I will take a defender with common sense right now.  

3 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

I’m struggling to understand how you having less of a break has contributed to Maguire and Shaw forgetting how to defend and continuously being out of position. 

Are you saying they are tired?

Who said I was linking the two. We have a City fan jumping for joy so I was reminding him that his team also got annhiliated recently, with 11 men on the park, and with more of a pre-season than us. 

And to clarify on the lack of a break. We gave the players a rest, what they are missing is the match fitness because we decided to give them a proper rest but use our opening league games to build match fitness (no time for friendlies).

Do I think that explains the defensive <deleted> ups? No. Do I think it has some impact when we are talking about elite athletes? Yes. 

5 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

True. But I think the best we can hope for is hanging on to Smalling. One of our more outspoken fans made the point that Smalling won two titles, made about 200 appearances under Fergie (need to check that), and tbh for his limitations has to offer more than what we are getting right now.

And he's coming off a very good season at Roma. You wouldn't say Smalling was leadership material, but I will take a defender with common sense right now.  

He was let go for a reason and that reason was that he was deemed no longer good enough to hold a place in a side looking to kick on. 

Now you are thinking he offers more that what you have right now. He has not improved thats for sure, so you have to conclude that  the likes of Maguire and Shaw have gone backwards and are no longer good enough. 

Just now, Kadilo said:

Maguire and Shaw have gone backwards and are no longer good enough. 

Absolutely they have regressed. Defences are a unit aren't they, so when the lynchpin is having nightmares I believe it can rub off on the others. Careers have ups and downs, it doesn't mean they can't improve again... after all they can't really get any worse right now.

Just now, RickG16 said:

Absolutely they have regressed. Defences are a unit aren't they, so when the lynchpin is having nightmares I believe it can rub off on the others. Careers have ups and downs, it doesn't mean they can't improve again... after all they can't really get any worse right now.

Shaw has been pony for ages. Maguire not so, but this recent episode has had a detrimental effect on his performances imo. 

Just now, Kadilo said:

Shaw has been pony for ages. Maguire not so, but this recent episode has had a detrimental effect on his performances imo. 

Both Beckham and Rooney have had these periods in the national spotlight (for bad reasons) and come through it. What's different is that those two had players in the dressing room to look up to or put an arm round them... or to tell them to sort their <deleted> out. 

18 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Wrong. We got to the semi-final of the Europa. You only got to the Q-F. We had less break than any team.

1 day. seriously, you are complaining about 1 day?

We played Lyon on the 15th August and you played Sevilla on the 16th August. That's why both United and City started the PL later than all the other teams. 1 day, jaysus

Just now, mrbojangles said:

1 day. seriously, you are complaining about 1 day?

We played Lyon on the 15th August and you played Sevilla on the 16th August. That's why both United and City started the PL later than all the other teams. 1 day, jaysus

Really? I thought it was a week. Will take your word for it. I'm not complaining, it is what it is. We both suffered in that case, and it probably played some part in your Leicester defeat. How can it not?

1 minute ago, mrbojangles said:

Maguire is playing like he's got chains around his ankles, like convicted criminals do

Acting like he's the first player to have a brush with the law. If you put together an all-time 'arrested XI' it would be unbelievable... Maradona, Keane, Gazza and many many more. 

35 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Acting like he's the first player to have a brush with the law. If you put together an all-time 'arrested XI' it would be unbelievable... Maradona, Keane, Gazza and many many more. 

Yeah he wouldn’t get in that team. 

Just now, Kadilo said:

Yeah he wouldn’t get in that team. 

The point is it's not really such a big deal a footballer getting mixed up in something after a few drinks on holiday. It is a big deal that an 80 million defender can be this bad. 

10 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

The point is it's not really such a big deal a footballer getting mixed up in something after a few drinks on holiday. It is a big deal that an 80 million defender can be this bad. 

It’s a big deal if the two are linked. His form has deserted him. He shows no leadership on the pitch or off it. He doesn’t even front up the media as captain after that sham performance, he sends out Sumo. 

Coincidence?

15 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

It’s a big deal if the two are linked. His form has deserted him. He shows no leadership on the pitch or off it. He doesn’t even front up the media as captain after that sham performance, he sends out Sumo. 

Coincidence?

Should his leadership be questioned... absolutely. I'm pretty sure Karen the PR lady decides who to send out for interviews, we don't know what happened, maybe he was needed more in the dressing room and that's fine, it's his leadership on the pitch I am concerned about. Not mumbling some media trained BS in front of a camera.

But what happened in Greece is irrelevant IMO. Look what Tony Adams used to get up to. Good leader and defender.  

8 hours ago, Kadilo said:

Yes along with Lamela and his pathetic play acting. 

Yeah pamela.  Way ott and in no way good   but NOT a red card  his push got a   yellow that's right accordin to the law. ..martial was a <deleted>   his rather limp hand to face was  a red card.. bet he wished he'd spanked him..

16 minutes ago, 3 minus 2 said:

Yeah pamela.  Way ott and in no way good   but NOT a red card  his push got a   yellow that's right accordin to the law. ..martial was a <deleted>   his rather limp hand to face was  a red card.. bet he wished he'd spanked him..

It cannot be right when the guy who don’t go down like a sack of spuds gets sent off and the guy who cheated gets a yellow. 

it just sends out a really bad example to all who watch and play football, particularly kids. 

Lads come on now. If the board were half decent you would still have Jose and you would likely be challenging. Jose got you a European title and if backed he'd have solved your issues by now. Ole is the puppet the board wanted and one thing is clear. Whatever works for your board does not work for your team and certainly not any real fans.

3 hours ago, RickG16 said:

He never got mixed up in nothing he jetted and left his friends and family in the lurch. Then he turned into captain gob<deleted>e with some far flung story and now every single one of his family know he is an utter tossa. Seriously I told you, I told you Rick, this would impact your team significantly. Bottom line if you can't handle the pressure on a forum of unknowns then can you imagine the pressure this lads under now. 

This guy's no hero he's gonna buckle big time. No fairytale story here this kids on the road to rochdale within 5 years.

5 hours ago, Kadilo said:

Coincidence?

Maybe the lads feeling so unlucky he is taking this social distancing thing s bit too far. 

Archived