Worst Joke Ever 2024

Some interesting comments found while waltzing around the net...

What are they doing to my language?

The English language changes more rapidly than in its country of origin, but I ask you:

Why do we no longer celebrate our second anniversary but instead our two year anniversary? Even the BBC is guilty of committing that sin.

Why do we no longer do things twice, but instead two times?

Why are things no longer a quarter of their old size, but instead four times smaller?

And one fight I know I shall never win. I still remember the Second World War but everyone else recalls World War Two. The other war, of course, was the Great War, wasn't it?

Here, we get so called dokumentaries* from such previously/supposedly respected organisations as National Geographic.

These dokumentaries* frequently quote measurements in jumbo jets, Eiffel Towers, Statues of Liberty, double decker busses, Olympic Swimming Pools, elephants, rhinoceroses, F1 cars and aircraft carriers. Queen Mary's horsepower was quoted as #### F1 cars for example.

Here, our tram network had an advertising campaign which quoted the weight of a tram as '17 rhinoceroses'. This, I assume, was intended to convey the message not to stand on the track.

Everything here is dumbed down. Commuter trains no longer carry passengers but rather customers; long distance ones 'guests'.

One 'debarks' rather than 'disembarks'; things are no longer 'uncoupled' but rather 'decoupled'.

No one in the media knows the difference between a house and a home.

An increase by a factor of five is now 'five hundred percent'.

Sports players, who are all called athletes, always give one hundred and ten percent.
When I was at school a percentage was a fraction - parts per hundred not number of hundreds.

Channel 4 news last night - spouted "decouple" - when it should be un-couple.

Still a long way to go to beat the BBC with "snowiness, icyness, windyness, wintryness, wetness spouted by their weather presenters. Each day there are flagrant attempts to sully the OED

I despair at the bastardising of our great spoken word.

News broadcasts that state fifty percent of something and nearly two thirds of the other - mixing up measurement methods.

Until last week I had never heard "summit" used as a verb - as in "summitting" Everest.

Now, where did I put that thrupenny bit? Sound so much better than three pee"

The foreigners actually say "Plus ça change"!

...and then

The language is constantly evolving and it is solely a matter of personal opinion whether that is good or bad. Very few of us 'thee', 'thou' or 'thine' today, we prefer to use currently fashionable pronouns. That would seem very peculiar to a seafarer of 1821 and an abuse of the the language.
Use the forms that please you and let other people do the same.

In these days of Global Warming, why are there so many snowflakes around?

...and to end it.

O Lord above send down a dove with wings as sharp as razors. To cut the throats of them there blokes that sells bad beer to sailors.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, fangless said:

Ann woke up one morning and discovered her dog Fluffy was not moving.
She brought Fluffy to the vet. After a brief examination, the vet pronounced
the dog dead.
"Are you sure?" Ann asked with tears in her eyes. "Isn't there anything else
you can do for Fluffy?"
The vet replied: "Well, there is one more thing we could try."

He disappeared in the back room for a second and came back carrying a cat
in his arms. He put the cat on the table next to the dog. The cat sniffed the
dog from head to toe, jumped off the table and ran back into the other room.
"Well, that confirms it," the vet announced. "Your dog is dead."
"How much do I owe you?" Ann sighed.

"That'll be $250," the vet replied. "$50 for the office visit and $200 for the
cat scan."

You forgot to mention the $150 after the vet brought in the dog and pronounced:lab results also declare fluffy has departed"

• Like 1