Britain can end Brexit unilaterally, EU court advisor says

snoop1130

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

I  dont think you are well informed in these matters,

actually the Commission is empowered to go after UK individuals and companies and for example fine them-

and no, I have not fallen for any leave or remain small or big lies

of course, all courts and the Commission must limit themselves to where they have legal authority

"of course, all courts and the Commission must limit themselves to where they have legal authority."

Exactly; glad that, contrary to what you posted earlier, you now accept that fact. 

The Commission can only, as you put it, 'go after UK individuals or companies' and, of course, those in any other member state, if that individual or company has allegedly broken EU law. For example in the areas of fair competition, health and safety at work, consumer protection etc.

3 hours ago, nauseus said:

I've said that the ECJ decision actually supports the EU position, which is to keep the UK inside the EU.

Which is completely and utterly not the case!

To repeat:-

4 hours ago, 7by7 said:

The ECJ ruling is that the UK can withdraw Article 50 should it choose by democratic means to so do.

That's it; the court has not instructed the UK to do, or not do, anything in this regard. It has simply said that the decision whether or not to withdraw Article 50 is that of the UK and the UK only and therefore the EU must accept that decision.

So tell us; how is saying that the UK can legally make it's own mind up about it's future designed to keep the UK in the EU?

6 hours ago, 7by7 said:

Which is completely and utterly not the case!

To repeat:-

So tell us; how is saying that the UK can legally make it's own mind up about it's future designed to keep the UK in the EU?

I've said that the ECJ decision actually supports the EU position, which is to keep the UK inside the EU.

2 hours ago, nauseus said:

Which is nonsense, as the ECJ’s decision doesn’t give the EU any further or different rights than before. The EU wasn’t legally able and still isn’t legally able to stop the Article 50 process. The court gave more power to the UK alone. If Brexiteers really care about control and sovereignty (which, of course, they don’t really), they would applaud the ECJ decision. 

1 hour ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

Which is nonsense, as the ECJ’s decision doesn’t give the EU any further or different rights than before. The EU wasn’t legally able and still isn’t legally able to stop the Article 50 process. The court gave more power to the UK alone. If Brexiteers really care about control and sovereignty (which, of course, they don’t really), they would applaud the ECJ decision. 

I was not referring to rights. This clarification from the ECJ (delivered just one day before the "meaningful vote" was due to take place) says that the remain option is easily available. The timing of this revelation is far too coincidental with May's obvious struggles to get her "deal" agreed and it offers an easy way out of the "mess"; it is an incentive to confound the referendum result in the very possible case that Parliament won't take up the courage to approve a no deal Brexit and just leave. 

The ECJ is the supreme court of the EU - it is part of the EU. The EU is doing everything it can to keep the UK in the club. 

9 hours ago, evadgib said:

a few riots over fuel taxes and france is about to collapse ???? they scrapped them as it was nothing to do with the EU,most countries run themselves bar a few EU issue's,this clown will never leader the UK or the tories his posh voice will horrify any working class voter,JC will stroll in with a huge majority

The damage brexit does goes on and on ....

https://foreignpolicy.com/2018/12/18/brexit-is-destroying-britains-constitution/

This is the context in which to understand the rampant reports of conspiratorial plots within the cabinet: remainers plotting a new referendum (and seeking legal advice on whether Britain’s decision to leave could be revoked by executive action, without consulting Parliament) and anti-Europeans threatening to resign from the government, reject the withdrawal agreement Theresa May negotiated with the EU, and leave without any sort of deal at all.

Britain’s constitutional crisis running in parallel to its Brexit debate has made it much harder for any of these plots to come to fruition. There is no majority for any policy at all in Parliament.There is no majority for any policy at all in Parliament. 

Watching the news last night and see a Tory Minister called Brokenshire (I think) being interviewed about Brexit. Then an old man appeared holding a sign saying “no EU negotiations”. It was amusing to watch him playing cat and mouse with the cameraman to get his sign on TV. For him getting his sign on TV seemed like the most important thing in the world, like his life depended on it. I wondered what difference a crash out Brexit would make to his life? He won’t see fewer immigrants, as he’s living in London. He won’t be better off financially as few will be, indeed some of the benefits old people get will be shelved to pay for this fiasco. Maybe he’ll enjoy other people losing their jobs or get a thrill when businesses move away or fail? Or when the NHS, which he will use more frequently, struggles for staff? I can’t for the life of me understand what he gets out of it other than in his own head, an imagined benefit? And then he’ll die, leaving everyone else, a generation who don’t want this, to deal with the mess created.

1 hour ago, AlexRich said:

Watching the news last night and see a Tory Minister called Brokenshire (I think) being interviewed about Brexit. Then an old man appeared holding a sign saying “no EU negotiations”. It was amusing to watch him playing cat and mouse with the cameraman to get his sign on TV. For him getting his sign on TV seemed like the most important thing in the world, like his life depended on it. I wondered what difference a crash out Brexit would make to his life? He won’t see fewer immigrants, as he’s living in London. He won’t be better off financially as few will be, indeed some of the benefits old people get will be shelved to pay for this fiasco. Maybe he’ll enjoy other people losing their jobs or get a thrill when businesses move away or fail? Or when the NHS, which he will use more frequently, struggles for staff? I can’t for the life of me understand what he gets out of it other than in his own head, an imagined benefit? And then he’ll die, leaving everyone else, a generation who don’t want this, to deal with the mess created.

in 2-3 years when the UK is in recession the leave voters will blame the EU for bullying us and not giving us a good deal ????,i cannot wait to walk into my local and listen to them,iam sure farage will long gone from the limelight along with BJ,Corbyn should be just starting to dismantle whats left of the UK around this time,and half the skint expats from around the globe wil be back in the UK clogging up the hospital wards,????

2 hours ago, AlexRich said:

They only like to see pro remain slogans on the MS TV. I wonder if he really lives in London?  

7 minutes ago, bomber said:

in 2-3 years when the UK is in recession the leave voters will blame the EU for bullying us and not giving us a good deal ????,i cannot wait to walk into my local and listen to them,iam sure farage will long gone from the limelight along with BJ,Corbyn should be just starting to dismantle whats left of the UK around this time,and half the skint expats from around the globe wil be back in the UK clogging up the hospital wards,????

Do you do weather forecasts as well?

in 2-3 years when the UK is in recession the leave voters will blame the EU for bullying us and not giving us a good deal ????,i cannot wait to walk into my local and listen to them,iam sure farage will long gone from the limelight along with BJ,Corbyn should be just starting to dismantle whats left of the UK around this time,and half the skint expats from around the globe wil be back in the UK clogging up the hospital wards,[emoji3]
Wish I'd your crystal ball bomber..could you gimme the 4 semi-finalists in this seasons Champions League so that I can take plenty off of William Hill.[emoji6][emoji23][emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

No idea what motivates him in particular, but I would guess that it's this sort of I-know-better-than-you condescension, along with the derogatory assumptions and stereotyping, that has had a hand in putting him where he is.

I do wish remainers would cease pretending that they somehow are capable of predicting where the country will be in the next ten or twenty years, in the event of leave or remain. It's a lie.

I accept in the short term predictions can be made that may (stress "may") be reasonably reliable in terms of economic outlook, and I accept that choosing a path of great change rather than a path of status quo is likely to mean a more challenging time that may result in a degree of pain, but looking and predicting further into the future, it's just not possible as there are far too many unknown variables. That goes for if we stay or if we go. For example, if we stay and the EU collapses is ten years time, how much pain would that inflict on Britain? A lot more than if we leave now I would hazard a guess. In such a scenario, will remainers enjoy seeing the markets crash, businesses fail, people losing their jobs, people losing their houses, the country going into its worst ever recession? Will YOU enjoy that happening AlexRich? It's an inflammatory and insulting question right? Of course you wouldn't, because you genuinely believe that the country will be better off in the EU and you want the best for the country and your fellow countrymen.

Is it so hard to extend the same courtesy and respect to the sign man? Is it really beyond your comprehension that he too is fighting for a better future for his country and countrymen? Don't you see how belittling him is what has put the country in this current position? Has nothing been learnt whatsoever from 2016?

Sent from my SM-G610F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

24 minutes ago, malagateddy said:

Wish I'd your crystal ball bomber..could you gimme the 4 semi-finalists in this seasons Champions League so that I can take plenty off of William Hill.emoji6.pngemoji23.pngemoji6.png

and your predictions after brexit are what?  something crazy like booming ecomomy,stock markets through the roof,dole ques down,the pound up 30%,foreign companies fighting to get a foothold in the new UK,england 2020 euro champions,go to a bookmaker and you will get about 1000-1 for all that,you can take plenty of William Hill back JC as next PM its about 5-1 its buying money,it will help compensate for when your great british quid only buys 35bt???? haha

and your predictions after brexit are what?  something crazy like booming ecomomy,stock markets through the roof,dole ques down,the pound up 30%,foreign companies fighting to get a foothold in the new UK,england 2020 euro champions,go to a bookmaker and you will get about 1000-1 for all that,you can take plenty of William Hill back JC as next PM its about 5-1 its buying money,it will help compensate for when your great british quid only buys 35bt???? haha
He who laughs last..laughs best..please remember that in time to come

10 minutes ago, rixalex said:

No idea what motivates him in particular, but I would guess that it's this sort of I-know-better-than-you condescension, along with the derogatory assumptions and stereotyping, that has had a hand in putting him where he is.

I do wish remainers would cease pretending that they somehow are capable of predicting where the country will be in the next ten or twenty years, in the event of leave or remain. It's a lie.

I accept in the short term predictions can be made that may (stress "may") be reasonably reliable in terms of economic outlook, and I accept that choosing a path of great change rather than a path of status quo is likely to mean a more challenging time that may result in a degree of pain, but looking and predicting further into the future, it's just not possible as there are far too many unknown variables. That goes for if we stay or if we go. For example, if we stay and the EU collapses is ten years time, how much pain would that inflict on Britain? A lot more than if we leave now I would hazard a guess. In such a scenario, will remainers enjoy seeing the markets crash, businesses fail, people losing their jobs, people losing their houses, the country going into its worst ever recession? Will YOU enjoy that happening AlexRich? It's an inflammatory and insulting question right? Of course you wouldn't, because you genuinely believe that the country will be better off in the EU and you want the best for the country and your fellow countrymen.

Is it so hard to extend the same courtesy and respect to the sign man? Is it really beyond your comprehension that he too is fighting for a better future for his country and countrymen? Don't you see how belittling him is what has put the country in this current position? Has nothing been learnt whatsoever from 2016?

your all for slagging of the predictions of the remainers but then you say you you have no idea what the future is going to be,all rather odd,the facts are 90% of surveys,predictions,forecasts by neutrals are saying we will be worse off with most forecasting 5-10 years of pain,you also keep saying what if the EU collapses,barely anyone is predicting the EUs downfall it just isnt going to happen so stop hoping and even if it did if the UK is this mighty nation as you say it is it would not be an issue and we would not be liable for any currency issue's having our own currency the battered and soon to take another battering British Pound,and to think had we joined the euro at euro at €1.60 when we had the chance the that would of meant 60bt to the pound today,haha its 41 instead  

7 minutes ago, malagateddy said:

He who laughs last..laughs best..please remember that in time to come

on another board there was many like you who were delighted after brexit they soon dwindled away,they thought the hit on the pound would only last 2-3 month and many were predicting back to 50-55 pretty quickly,i said prepare for 35-40 they laffed,as nigel would say not laffing now are they,some probably jumped????    also as you are predicting the downfall of the EU when should i expect a return to €1.60 for the battered pound

your all for slagging of the predictions of the remainers but then you say you you have no idea what the future is going to be,all rather odd,the facts are 90% of surveys,predictions,forecasts by neutrals are saying we will be worse off with most forecasting 5-10 years of pain,you also keep saying what if the EU collapses,barely anyone is predicting the EUs downfall it just isnt going to happen so stop hoping and even if it did if the UK is this mighty nation as you say it is it would not be an issue and we would not be liable for any currency issue's having our own currency the battered and soon to take another battering British Pound,and to think had we joined the euro at euro at €1.60 when we had the chance the that would of meant 60bt to the pound today,haha its 41 instead  
What goes up must come down before it goes back up..just like life had it's ups and downs.
I'll leave you to consider the current french scenario..the police there are pissed off with macron and are considering a " work to rule "..staying in their stations and only responding to emergency calls.
Also a petition is " on the go " in france..requires 700000 signatures then the " push " is on to topple macron.
Oh dear..how sad..never mind.
Off now to watch the google box..bye

6 minutes ago, malagateddy said:

What goes up must come down before it goes back up..just like life had it's ups and downs.
I'll leave you to consider the current french scenario..the police there are pissed off with macron and are considering a " work to rule "..staying in their stations and only responding to emergency calls.
Also a petition is " on the go " in france..requires 700000 signatures then the " push " is on to topple macron.
Oh dear..how sad..never mind.
Off now to watch the google box..bye

pretty pathetic answer that like,so the french leader isnt popular so how the kcuf is that going to make brexit better,26 other nations iam sure 10-15 of those aint popular either,really scraping the bottom of the barrell that,imagine the euro taking a 20% hit like the pound it would of made fuel even more expensive,luckily its strength prevented it,the brits werent so lucky????

your all for slagging of the predictions of the remainers but then you say you you have no idea what the future is going to be,all rather odd,

It's not remainers predictions I'm particularly "slagging off". The predictions anybody is making 5, 10, 20 years in the future, I simply don't believe are credible. Far too many unknown variables. You go ahead and knock yourself out believing them if you wish.

the facts are 90% of surveys,predictions,forecasts by neutrals are saying we will be worse off with most forecasting 5-10 years of pain,

Here's a prediction. You pulled that 90% figure, that you are calling a fact, out of the air.

Are these the same "neutrals" who predicted what merely voting to leave would do to the British economy?

Archived