Huawei founder's daughter arrested on U.S. request, clouding China trade truce

webfact

6 hours ago, bristolboy said:

I was wondering about that, too. It may be that the items Huawei sold had some parts made in the USA. The article should have addressed that question even if only to state that the exact grounds of the arrest request were unclear.

The article addressed that, but you were to eager to slam the US ( read Trump), that you couldn't be bothered to read the article.

allegedly shipping U.S.-origin products to Iran

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, dcnx said:

Only while the USA is still the top dog. China’s day is coming.

Sure China's day is coming, but in the opposite meaning as what you think, because trump is working on it.

China has been wagering an economic world war for too long.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Canada did do something VERY stupid that caused this, in a sense, but it was was in 1952.

They allowed US Customs and Border Patrol operate in Canadian airports.

US Border Preclearance

Seeing that she was detained transferring at Vancouver airport I believe she was apprehended by US officers. 

Unfortunately for them it is not an embassy and she is subject to Canadian law upon detention and must be formally extradited.

You're just making things up. If she was going through US customs, dont you think they would have allowed her to fly into the US, and not have to deal with an extradition?

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

Strange that the whole o2 network is down - just saying - Trump is playing with fire here.

https://status.o2.co.uk/

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/dec/05/bt-removing-huawei-equipment-from-parts-of-4g-network

Isn't is ironic that publicly-listed American companies virtue-signal by working against America while privately-held Chinese Huwaei is working for Chyna against America.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

I agree that it isn't exactly in Canada's interest to do America's bidding but in this case the potential repercussions of not acting are huge. I'd rather the Canadians throw this Chinese woman to the wolves than get punished by the Americans again, our economy is on the brink of collapse as it is. Next to the Chinese we are geographically attached to one of the biggest bullies in the world which is currently run by a sociopath.

don't worry mate.  Australians have always and still call Canadians mates.  :cheesy:

• Like 1

12 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

The lady will be extradited to NY

Probably... but it is not a forgone conclusion. Validity of charges will b reviewed before extradition.

USA didn't even arrest their own bankster frauds in '08. Setting this president seems like a bad idea. You think China won't retaliate by locking up US business folk?

• Like 2

14 hours ago, stevenl said:

So? Huawei may have violated USA sanctions on Iran, so the whole world has to obey the USA?

Seeing that the US makes parts for Huawei to build into their equipment...then this equipment is used in NK and Iran....the US has the right to veto trading with rouge states

• Like 2

5 hours ago, brucec64 said:

You're just making things up. If she was going through US customs, dont you think they would have allowed her to fly into the US, and not have to deal with an extradition?

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Uhm... we have other cities in Canada. Destination was Toronto not the USA.

Yes... I will repeat again USCBP operates in all Canadian international airports. You don't have to be going to the USA to encounter them.

Edited by mikebike

15 hours ago, stevenl said:

So? Huawei may have violated USA sanctions on Iran, so the whole world has to obey the USA?

Nobody's forcing you to obey anyone.

However, the US is the top dog - and countries with a cavalier, post-college rebel BS attitude like yours, 

always get the smack-down.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, varun said:

However, the US is the top dog - and countries with a cavalier, post-college rebel BS attitude like yours, 

What country do you think he is from?

• Haha 1

My number one question about this arrest is about the cause.

At the demand of the US, ok, but the arrest still has to have a legal cause under Canadian Law.

I have checked over a dozen sources so far and none give a cause for the arrest.

If no cause is given for the arrest, I guess this is a breach of human rights?  No person can be arrested without legal cause? article 9 of the universal declaration of human rights?

32 minutes ago, Ulic said:

That is not how it works. You only clear US Customs in Canadian airports if you are boarding a flight to the US. If that was the case US Customs would have let her board her flight and let Federal Officers arrest her on touchdown in whatever US airport she landed. 

That is not true. Even if you are flying within Canada you must pass USCBP. Her destination was Toronto.

Edited by mikebike

13 minutes ago, manarak said:

My number one question about this arrest is about the cause.

At the demand of the US, ok, but the arrest still has to have a legal cause under Canadian Law.

I have checked over a dozen sources so far and none give a cause for the arrest.

If no cause is given for the arrest, I guess this is a breach of human rights?  No person can be arrested without legal cause? article 9 of the universal declaration of human rights?

N.Y. district had issued warrent(s).

• Like 1

15 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

With Huawei in direct competition with Apple this whole thing reeks of protectionism with the Iran violations used as window dressing.

Or basically Trump playing to the anti-China brigade.  Trump can gain a fair bit of popularity by trotting out anti-China policies. Thing is, these policies hurt America just as much. But the anti-China brigade don't accept that.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, tonbridgebrit said:

Washington's hypocrisy is staggerring, but lots of people are blind to it.

Yes, the blind are leading the lame storming our borders, paying $16,000 to take a container from Chyna.  No one is leaving for Canada as they promised they would when nationalist got elected POTUS in 2016 or when a globalist got elected POTUS in 2008.

2 hours ago, varun said:

Consequences of not obeying:

- Your dollars are blood diamonds.

- Your accounts froze.

- Your VISA/MC/Amex/Discover/JCB lifeless.

- Your private jet, will not fly.  Flying commercial - perhaps in Chyna and Russia.

In other words, it's the end.

2 hours ago, Langsuan Man said:

Huawei founder's daughter arrested on U.S. request, clouding China trade truce

What trade truce ?  So far, between the White House and Trumps Tweets,  this supposed truce appear to be vaporware 

Trump and Xi had both declared a 90 truce on tit for tat tariffs. (Trump was ready to jump his tariffs from 10%-25% on a range of Chinese goods.) So yes a truce, but not a final settlement as you're probably assuming.

1 hour ago, tonbridgebrit said:

Or basically Trump playing to the anti-China brigade.  Trump can gain a fair bit of popularity by trotting out anti-China policies. Thing is, these policies hurt America just as much. But the anti-China brigade don't accept that.

Nice try, but these allegations against Huawei were instigated under the Obama administration. From the OP:

"US authorities have been investigating Huawei since at least 2016 for allegedly shipping US-origin products to Iran and other countries in violation of US export and sanctions laws, sources told Reuters in April."

And:

"In 2013, Reuters found that the company, which attempted to sell embargoed Hewlett-Packard computer equipment to Iran’s largest mobile phone operator, had closer ties to Huawei than was previously known."

3 minutes ago, Hank Gunn said:

"In 2013, Reuters found that the company, which attempted to sell embargoed Hewlett-Packard computer equipment to Iran’s largest mobile phone operator, had closer ties to Huawei than was previously known."

Glad you brought this up. The company in question was ZTE. Trump should have denied them access to US parts which would have put them out of business. But to placate Xi he just let them off with a fine. As Trump put it he didn't want Chinese workers to lose their jobs.

3 hours ago, Ulic said:

That is not how it works. You only clear US Customs in Canadian airports if you are boarding a flight to the US. If that was the case US Customs would have let her board her flight and let Federal Officers arrest her on touchdown in whatever US airport she landed. 

Yes that is how I understand it. I have never run in to U.S. customs while travelling in and out of Canada from countries other then the U.S. Those U.S. Customs in Canada are for "pre-clearance" to U.S. destinations.....

https://www.cbp.gov/border-security/ports-entry/operations/preclearance

If anyone has that so called arrest warrant link from the U.S. please send it along. She was most likely in transit from say S. America to China etc when Canada should have stayed out of it. Stupid move Canada.

Funny that a Saudi murderer (with proof) just flies around and no one arrests him in transit....oh, no arrest warrant..forgot.

Edited by 300sd
  • Like 1