Huawei founder's daughter arrested on U.S. request, clouding China trade truce

webfact

18 hours ago, dcnx said:

Only while the USA is still the top dog. China’s day is coming.

China's day will only come if they bend to the US request to open their markets; stop stealing technology from others; and stop their attempt to control  international sea lanes.  They are a clear and present danger to the World.

China is controlled by the Communist Party and an elite type of governance that revolves around keep the Party in power forever.This control is arrogant and predatory.

As much as I dislike Trump, he is right to try and check their expansionism, If they refuse to change- they will be defeated both economically and if necessary militarily and end up a  third rate military and economic Nation.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, manarak said:

If no cause is given for the arrest, I guess this is a breach of human rights?  No person can be arrested without legal cause? article 9 of the universal declaration of human rights?

So are the Chinese now concerned about "arrest without legal cause" and violation of human rights?  One million Uighurs want to know.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

It was truly bizarre of that poster to contend that on purely domestic flights you have to pass US customs. That isn't the case in the USA but it somehow would be the case in Canada. That's just nuts.

Unless she was travelling to the states or the states was one of her connection points on an international flight, pre clearance is not required. The news I read was that the Canadians were 'requested' to arrest her, that suggests to me that she was not in American border control.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

Seeing that the US makes parts for Huawei to build into their equipment...then this equipment is used in NK and Iran....the US has the right to veto trading with rouge states

as long as the rogues use red rouge.  :cheesy:

4 hours ago, mikebike said:

N.Y. district had issued warrent(s).

isn't N.Y. district in the USA ?

before the arrest is made in Canada, shouldn't a Canadian court verify that the causes detailed in the US warrant do also constitute a crime under Canadian law?
or is there a provision for urgency - enabling to make the arrest and then do the paperwork within 24 hours afterwards?

Edited by manarak
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, bristolboy said:

It was truly bizarre of that poster to contend that on purely domestic flights you have to pass US customs. That isn't the case in the USA but it somehow would be the case in Canada. That's just nuts.

He’s got an axe to grind which clouds his ability to look at many issues objectively. (In my opinion this applies to all people, it’s just that some are more affected by it than others, hence this poster’s ridiculous claim.)

6 hours ago, varun said:

Nobody's forcing you to obey anyone.

However, the US is the top dog - and countries with a cavalier, post-college rebel BS attitude like yours, 

always get the smack-down.

When you have a three trillion dollar debt , half the nation morbidly obese, no appetite politically or socially for body bags , and a resurgent China build up with US and western investment oh and a clown for President you've got to see the writing on the wall ....

• Like 1

She is part of the Communist system and party, plus a member too, that tows the line and takes orders. You cannot be a company as big as that without being told what to do by the government or you with be destroyed...same for Jack Ma and Alibaba. China needs calling out on a lot of things, it's just that everyone is too terrified to do it because of economic considerations despite them (China) being the worst offenders on everything...from human rights to the environment to freedom of speech and almost everything you can think of. Judging how puritanical some of the lefty lot are, they are amazingly quiet on this and liberal governments all over the place do a "pull up the carpet and sweep" job whilst mouthing off how pious they are and ignoring the elephant in the room. 

Edited by Brigand
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

On 12/6/2018 at 4:07 PM, zydeco said:

When one tweet, one comment, or one legitimate arrest of the CFO of a foreign company that has been caught already stealing technology can cause markets to crash, then those markets are not healthy to begin with. They are overpriced, puffed up by the fed's printing of free money, and ripe for a fall. The long term trendline for support in the DOW is around 12,000.

Well, I agree that a serious trade war with China will cause the DOW to plunge to around 12,000.

That's because investors know that a trade war is catastrophic, hence, a market crash.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Thaidream said:

China's day will only come if they bend to the US request to open their markets; stop stealing technology from others; and stop their attempt to control  international sea lanes.  They are a clear and present danger to the World.

China is controlled by the Communist Party and an elite type of governance that revolves around keep the Party in power forever.This control is arrogant and predatory.

As much as I dislike Trump, he is right to try and check their expansionism, If they refuse to change- they will be defeated both economically and if necessary militarily and end up a  third rate military and economic Nation.

Korea, Vietnam , Iraq , Afghanstan I could go on - the US would be mad to take on China militarily. China will eat dirt before giving in, Americans will riot as soon as the gas queues begin and Walmart shelves go empty with wandering roving gun-nut militias looking for commies in the nearest Chinese takeaway. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

Korea, Vietnam , Iraq , Afghanstan I could go on - the US would be mad to take on China militarily. China will eat dirt before giving in, Americans will riot as soon as the gas queues begin and Walmart shelves go empty with wandering roving gun-nut militias looking for commies in the nearest Chinese takeaway. 

Taking the Chinese out on their recently occupied islands - both natural and human made - wouldn't be difficult. I'm not saying it's advisable - it isn't. But not difficult. Invading the mainland would be a different story. But that's not going to happen.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

allegedly shipping U.S.-origin products to Iran

OK, maybe Huawei did such US forbidden sale - maybe - but why arresting the CFO ?

I doubt she is the one who took the (maybe) decision to sell to Iran ??

Does USA intend to arrest every Huawei employees ? :unsure:

Edited by Pattaya46
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

OK, maybe Huawei did such US forbidden sell - maybe - but why arresting the CFO ?

They did it by way of a shell company of which she is an owner director, so she is directly liable.

The Chinese are clever. But sadly now Trump has them by the balls.

Edited by Bang Bang
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, manarak said:

isn't N.Y. district in the USA ?

before the arrest is made in Canada, shouldn't a Canadian court verify that the causes detailed in the US warrant do also constitute a crime under Canadian law?
or is there a provision for urgency - enabling to make the arrest and then do the paperwork within 24 hours afterwards?

No, it is undergoing regular process. She is in a Vancouver court right now having a bail hearing.

• Like 1

On 12/6/2018 at 5:09 PM, bristolboy said:

I was wondering about that, too. It may be that the items Huawei sold had some parts made in the USA. The article should have addressed that question even if only to state that the exact grounds of the arrest request were unclear.

The chief financial officer of China’s Huawei Technologies committed fraud in 2013 when she told American banks that Huawei had no connection to a Hong Kong firm that was reportedly doing business with Iranian telecom companies in violation of U.S. sanctions, a Crown lawyer told a B.C. Supreme Court judge Friday.

Meng Wanzhou should be extradited to the United States to face criminal proceedings there over what the United States alleges are Huawei’s ties to Skycom and Ms. Meng’s efforts to conceal those ties.

“Ms. Meng personally represented to those banks that Skycom and Huawei were separate, when in fact they were not separate,” he said. “Skycom was Huawei,” said Crown counsel John Gibb-Carsley

Edited by Banana7
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, pegman said:

No, it is undergoing regular process. She is in a Vancouver court right now having a bail hearing.

I'm not asking about the process she's undergoing now, I'm asking about the arrest and the legal cause for arrest.

"at the request of the US" is not a legal cause for arrest.

Edited by manarak

If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck....

She's in possession of 7 passports - 3 from Hong Kong and 4 from Mainland China.

This is not normal by any stretch of imagination and is precisely the reason she poses a flight risk.

Furthermore, there are strict rules regarding dual nationality in Mainland China. 

PRC does not allow dual nationality, so how did she manage to flout the rules in both HK and China? - Daddy's guanxi

On 12/8/2018 at 3:47 AM, manarak said:

I'm not asking about the process she's undergoing now, I'm asking about the arrest and the legal cause for arrest.

"at the request of the US" is not a legal cause for arrest.

This thing has been in the works for some time. Yet you're seriously suggesting that the Justice Dept didn't make a legally valid request for her detention? Grasping at straws, much?

On 12/7/2018 at 7:11 PM, stud858 said:

Thank you president Trump.

Chinese takeover,NBL with you in charge.

You mean like when at the last minute he bailed out ZTE?

Trump Tells Republicans Not to Undercut Him on ZTE

President Trump urged Republican lawmakers on Wednesday not to scuttle his administration’s efforts to help the Chinese telecom firm ZTE, warning them that his reprieve for the company was part of a broader geopolitical negotiating strategy.

Mr. Trump and Republican lawmakers met at the White House to discuss the fate of the company, which had been banned by the Commerce Department from buying American products this year as punishment for violating American sanctions. The administration has since lifted that ban at Mr. Trump’s request and over the objections of lawmakers, who voted Monday to reinstate the penalties on ZTE.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/20/us/politics/zte-trump-republicans-congress.html