Just recieved 2018 tax bill, UK

13 hours ago, BangkokTony said:

I am wondering if to find an accountant to fill in my tax return next year. 

That seems a bit extreme for someone with such a simple tax return. I doubt that you have more than a half-dozen boxes to complete, and only two basic figures to write in anyway.

I do my own tax return every year (on paper so that I can complete the non-resident section) and even with my varied sources of dividend/interest revenue it only takes me about 30 minutes to do, and most of that is adding up the various different amounts. I use a copy of the form I submitted the previous year to locate the boxes that I need to complete, which saves a lot of time.

Still, it's your money and I'm sure that any accountant would be overjoyed to charge you a fortune for doing it.

37 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

But if you file online you cant benefit from the various exemptions available for non-residents, as the non-resident declaration is paper-only (or via expensive software).

Obviously something that would need to be taken into consideration if applicable, not in my case and I don't think as far as the OP was concerned. If you don't have a lot there is not a lot to think about.

2 minutes ago, sandyf said:

There has been some really paranoid posts on this thread, obviously from people that have never used the HMRC website.

Better to be paranoid and safe than not and sorry.  Obviously most readers have never used HMRC website and OP was not clear as to how access was made to website and it appeared information was in an email designed to cause panic. 

14 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Better to be paranoid and safe than not and sorry.  Obviously most readers have never used HMRC website and OP was not clear as to how access was made to website and it appeared information was in an email designed to cause panic. 

Wrong, the email was not designed to cause panic, the OP had a panic reaction due to the amount involved, had the amount been £8 or the OP was of substantial means, nothing would have been said.

People unfamiliar with the system should refrain from jumping to conclusions.

On 12/7/2018 at 12:40 PM, BangkokTony said:

Today I received a tax bill of 8296 gbp.

Believe most of us would be in panic mode if indeed we received a tax bill greater than our total annual income; if we did not have a heart attack and die.  And we should view any such email was a great deal of suspicion.  Believe bill was actually on web site that OP accessed later but that was not clear in first post. 

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

Believe most of us would be in panic mode if indeed we received a tax bill greater than our total annual income; if we did not have a heart attack and die.

Most people who have had dealings with HMRC wouldn't even break into a mild sweat about such an error, especially one so clearly nonsensical. They make them all the time.

14 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

Most people who have had dealings with HMRC wouldn't even break into a mild sweat about such an error, especially one so clearly nonsensical. They make them all the time.

Admit we have been a bit removed from HMRC for few years but if that is how it works can understand wanting to avoid.

Image result for boston tea party

On 12/7/2018 at 1:35 PM, Surasak said:

Not exactly true. Your state pension is included as income and if the income is over £11850, current amount, then you are taxed on the amount over that figure.

To my knowledge, no one would get a DWP pension of this amount. Aslo, Nationeide Building Society would deduct tax on any interest before paying said interest. I am sure this is a scam email. I would suggest, as others have stated, contact the HMRC direct via phone. Look up their phone details seperatly from the email received.

I think UK banks and B/socs now pay interest on cash deposits and bonds gross ( ie no tax deducted ).

On Fri Dec 07 2018 at 7:11 AM, BangkokTony said:

GBP16592.30 will be due for payment and a breakdown of this amount and when this needs to be paid by is outlined in the table below. Follow the appropriate link within the 'Description' column to find out more about each payment.

DescriptionHelp about: Description (Tax year summary) - opens in a new window
ForHelp about: For - opens in a new window
Due dateHelp about: Due date - opens in a new window
Amount (£)Help about: Amount (becoming due) - opens in a new window
Tax year ending 05 Apr 2019 First payment on account 31 Jan 2019 4148.07
Tax year ending 05 Apr 2019 Second payment on account 31 Jul 2019 4148.08
Tax year ending 05 Apr 2018 Balancing payment 31 Jan 2019 8296.15
Total 16592.30

if u live full time in thailand u usualy dont gave yo pay income tax in europe as well ur pension is small so it should be under the minimum ...

On 12/8/2018 at 6:55 PM, BangkokTony said:

He said that I inserted 8296 pounds in the wrong box, ie tax underpaid (although I am sure I did not do so).

Would probably be a good idea for you to scan or copy future tax returns before bunging them in the post to HMRC.

But glad that all was well that ended well in your case.

I had a 'run in'with HMRC on the basis that I owed £700. Based on your 'monthly' pension (or is it 4-weekly?) you would not have to pay any tax.

Having said that the personal allowance was altered the last tax year and the age-related allowance was scrapped except for high income people. You are allowed £11,500 free of tax.

What HMRC said to me was that I had not claimed that allowance in my tax return.

Bearing in mind I had previously been assessed under s128 and my state pension was not counted I did not think I had to claim the personal allowance.

A call to HMRC put matters straight and also I got the assuring news I need no lomger submit a tax return. 

Give them a call  If you make a lot of call to Uk a quartely payment of £8 gives you unimited calls to UK landlines - very useful for contacting Government numbers with long waiting times.

Quite correct in that ALL interest is now paid gross in the UK.

If you have registered for an online account for tax, HMRC will email you with reminders to file, pay and check your inbox when there are messages to read, such as coding notices.

I do it all online now and find it very easy as long as you have all the figures ready.

On the odd occasion I have needed to call, they have been excellent

Glad the OP got it sorted.

15 hours ago, The Fat Controller said:

If you have registered for an online account for tax, HMRC will email you with reminders to file, pay and check your inbox when there are messages to read, such as coding notices.

I do it all online now and find it very easy as long as you have all the figures ready.

You cannot complete the residence section online (unless you use expensive third-party software), so this may be unsuitable for many people living in Thailand. It certainly would not be suitable for me.

• Like 1