Visa for Volunteer ?

I am trying to get a non o visa as a volunteer. Immigration says a work permit is required. The labor ministry, in addition to other normal requirements, such as work history, etc., insists that the orphanage foundation I plan to work for pays me. The main point of their needing a "volunteer" is they cannot afford to pay anyone for the many duties I would have. Donations are down this year and the acting director is off in America seeking medical help, so there is a real need for someone to carry out some duties in his stead. The labor ministry also assures me I must pay income taxes. Even if I am paid a nominal amount, it will not exceed my deduction amount of 190,000 baht, as I am long since past 65. My current non o expires at the end of December but the immigration officer says he will give me a 30 day extention until my application is processed.

Any comments? Anyone else have experience having a volunteer non o?

Edited by CharlieH
Title adjusted.

According to the London website for the Thai Embassy a Non-Imm-O can be obtained for 

• For working at an NGO/volunteer work : An official recommendation letter or employment letter from NGO or organisation which undertakes volunteer work in Thailand, registration document of NGO or volunteer organisation

OP, these bozos make this stuff up as it goes along.This was never the case in Chiang Mai.

Are you volunteering in Chiang Mai ?  As there was an article about the volunteer visas on TV being put on hold a few months back.

CM Volunteer Visas in Stand-off

There was no update on what happened there, so knowing where you are will help with those referencing this post in the future, as there seems to be no uniformity in how rules and updates are applied across Thailand.

The volunteer visa was a decent route for those not into getting tipped upside down for the rip-off Elite Visas (think it is $300 for a 5-year multi tourist visa for India after 2016...as a price comparison...though in reading, it may not be so easy to get that one except for overseas Indian applicants).

Anyway, I'd rather give my money to a charity than the Elite scam any day of the week.

Edited by freedomnow
  • Like 1