Leaving Condo in Pattaya un-attended for 4 month

RoadWarrior371

Appreciate any advice on leaving Condo for long periods of time, near the beach.  How do you avoid mold\pest invasion?  For example, do you cover all leather furniture, beds, electronics?  Do you turn OFF the water or power, or leave the AC on at 80+, for example,  to avoid mold build-up?  Or would having a cleaner come once a week to wipe down, sweep, and cool off the place be sufficient?  Most walls are thick concrete, or tile, not much wood at all in this unit.   Thanks in advance. 

Dust covers on furniture and appliances (old or cheap bed sheets). Unplug all appliances and turn off the water. Empty the fridge, unplug it and leave the fridge door(s) open. You could leave a single air-conditioner on 27 degrees and inner doors open for circulation (if more than a skybox). If there's a bathroom fan, leave that turned on to assist air movement (door left open). If there's a window that has a lot of direct sun exposure, consider some blinds, drapes of other covering (old bed sheets?) to reduce the heat build up. Otherwise, move any furniture that would get heated up in such direct light into a shadier location. Leave a patio light on.

Hi mate,  I have left my appt approx 4 months a few times.  I turn off water and power.  I block my drains with sink plugs or covers and empty fridge, cleaning it properly leaving the door slighty ajar.  I have had zero pests come as there isnt any food or crumbs and no mold whatsoever even with the place locked up.  I leave a deposit with management who takes care of any bills and lets them know I am not at home if there are any issues.

I've been away for a month or more several times and never had any trouble, and some people in my building only seem to use their unit a couple of times a year.

When I go away I turn the water off at the mains, and trip all the breakers except the one that powers the fridge/freezer which I leave on.
I dont cover anything and quick dusting when I get back puts everything in order.

Your building should do regular pest control in the corridors and service areas, and so there should be no issues with pests in your unit unless perhaps you live on a very low floor.

As long as your clothes are clean they should not suffer from mould.

1 minute ago, KittenKong said:

I dont cover anything and quick dusting when I get back puts everything in order.

That's a good point. Most newer condo's have uPVC or similar window and patio door frames with good sealing. Older units may still have the old-fashioned box-section aluminum window and patio door frames that can be very poor at keeping dust out. If the OP doesn't have too much of a dust problem, maybe they can pass on dust covers.

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

Dust covers on furniture and appliances (old or cheap bed sheets). Unplug all appliances and turn off the water. Empty the fridge, unplug it and leave the fridge door(s) open. You could leave a single air-conditioner on 27 degrees and inner doors open for circulation (if more than a skybox). If there's a bathroom fan,

1 hour ago, BigT73 said:

Hi mate,  I have left my appt approx 4 months a few times.  I turn off water and power.  I block my drains with sink plugs or covers and empty fridge, cleaning it properly leaving the door slighty ajar. 

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

Its often a good idea to have someone flush toilets and sinks as the water can evaporate from the traps and sewer gases can come in.

1 hour ago, KittenKong said:

I've been away for a month or more several times and never had any trouble, and some people in my building only seem to use their unit a couple of times a year.

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

That's a good point. Most newer condo's have uPVC or similar window and patio door frames with good sealing.

Thanks, that is good advice by all 'thumbs-up'.

I leave my house located in a secure community for 4.5 months every year. Turn off the electric and water. Leave the fridge door adjar and close all the curtains. I have one of my scheduled visits from my Termite Tech a few days before I go home. Never had a problem.

"Do you turn OFF the water or power, or leave the AC on at 80+, for example,  to avoid mold build-up?" - 80 degrees, what the hell? That would be a Heater not the A/C. The highest I've ever seen the A/C go up to is 30 degrees!!

when i first bought my condo 3+ yrs ago---it used to stay empty 3-4mths at a time...

its high level, so i used to leave bathroom window open for some air... turn power OFF.. leaving fridge doors open... close curtains....thats it---never any problems.. leaving aircond on, is ridiculous, i think....pointless...

my power account is automaticly deducted from my bank acc....water is charged 3mthly..

all very simple---one of the huge benefits of condo living...

1 hour ago, bbi1 said:

"Do you turn OFF the water or power, or leave the AC on at 80+, for example,  to avoid mold build-up?" - 80 degrees, what the hell? That would be a Heater not the A/C. The highest I've ever seen the A/C go up to is 30 degrees!!

You know of course there are 2 commonly used heat measurement scales

Degrees Fahrenheit and  Degrees Centigrade/Celsius  80F is about 27C

I wouldn't leave the aircon or anything electrical (220V) on unattended for 4 months

turn off water and electric.

18 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Its often a good idea to have someone flush toilets and sinks as the water can evaporate from the traps and sewer gases can come in.

another alternative for possible toilet evaporation concerns due to extended times out, is to fill them with anti-freeze (ethylene glycol) used in cars when u leave, it wont evaporate as water does. Used back home in drain of boiler room to prevent it getting dry.

If you can get someone to come in and give it a clean every 2 weeks, do it. Or if you can leave aircon or dehumidifier on. 

I recently left mine for 3 months and mold developed in a few places, only really on some soft furnishings that I didn't clean before I left so I think it could have been prevented. When I got back I stayed in a hotel for a few days while I had it deep cleaned. 

I had no problem with wild animals. 

20 hours ago, RoadWarrior371 said:

How do you avoid mold\pest invasion?  For example, do you cover all leather furniture, beds, electronics?  Do you turn OFF the water or power, or leave the AC on at 80+, for example,  to avoid mold build-up?  Or would having a cleaner come once a week to wipe down, sweep, and cool off the place be sufficient? 

• I typically leave my condo empty for 5-6 months while I am working overseas
  • I pay 300 baht a week for Mgt to clean my place once a week, turn on A/C for the day.
  • I have my electricity bill paid automatic deduction from my bank about 300 or so baht a month while I am gone.
  • I pay my water bill to mgt in advance, they deduct the charges monthly, couple hundred baht.
  • do not, not cover leather furniture, it needs to breath, you will cause mold to build up in this humidity. 
  • do not turn off your fridge (s) leave them on.
  • I suspend my Internet with TOT and they turn it back on when I return, cost me a couple hundred baht.

3 hours ago, johng said:

I wouldn't leave the aircon or anything electrical (220V) on unattended for 4 months

Considering that we're in Thailand, there's only one and that's Celcius so that's what I'm presuming that OP was talking about ????????

1 hour ago, TunnelRat69 said:
  • I typically leave my condo empty for 5-6 months while I am working overseas
  • I pay 300 baht a week for Mgt to clean my place once a week, turn on A/C for the day.

Why do you need to turn on the A/C for one day per week? Since I've moved into my condo here I've never used the aircon once. Well, actually once to check that they all work properly.

2 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

Why do you need to turn on the A/C for one day per week? Since I've moved into my condo here I've never used the aircon once. Well, actually once to check that they all work properly.

Thats the point, the compressors need to be run once in awhile just get a reboot so to speak, its like having an outboard Motorboat, those engines need to be run very hot once in awhile.  Good cheap maintenance.

22 minutes ago, TunnelRat69 said:

Thats the point, the compressors need to be run once in awhile just get a reboot so to speak, its like having an outboard Motorboat, those engines need to be run very hot once in awhile.  Good cheap maintenance.

Is that the same with the fridge, that's why you recommended not unplugging it but keep it running constantly?

6 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

Is that the same with the fridge, that's why you recommended not unplugging it but keep it running constantly?

of course, running it at a medium to low setting will keep it clean smelling, and turn on the compressors once in a while to keep them oiled..........three years of doing this and I have zero problems with three AC's and my two Fridges.  I also have custom made leather furniture (previous owner was a BIG guy, had the couches and chairs custom made in Bangkok) they need fresh humid air if you cover them then they will get moldy.   Look, my electricity bill when I am gone in 300-350 baht a month, its worth it to me.  I also have Condo Insurance, a whopping 2300 baht a year on all my stuff.......if a unit floods above me, my things are covered for replacement cost.

Of course the next question will be, Why do you own a condo when you only live here a few months a year.........don't like landlords, they are your best friend until you want to move, then all the troubles begin.  I pay a management fee of 13,000 baht a year to look after my interest.  They manage the beautiful grounds and six swimming pools, previous to buying, my living expenses, rent etc was about $12000 for half a year,  made sense to buy.

4 hours ago, johng said:

Yes, the 80 was 80F, since I am a Damn Yankee.  Thailand does not hold that against me, even had a few gals tell me I am a Hansum Man.  ????

19 hours ago, johng said:

Commonly used ??

The United States is the only major industrial country that still uses Fahrenheit.  :whistling:

Details here: Countries That Use Celsius:

https://sciencing.com/countries-use-celsius-8077428.html

18 hours ago, TunnelRat69 said:
  • I have my electricity bill paid automatic deduction from my bank about 300 or so baht a month while I am gone.

300 ? Something wrong here.

I also paid about 300B this month for electricity, but I am living full time in my condo ! :wink:

IMHO there is absolutely no need of weekly or monthly runs for aircon or fridge. I know guys who use their aircon only in the hot season (april-june) and they don't have problems with aircons not running during 9 months. I personally always fully cut electricity and water of my condo unit when I left for more than one week (and up to 3 months) and never got any problem. As said above, you fridge should stay opened. I also unplug computer and TV. I don't cover anything (where would the dust come from?). I close all curtains and use old bed-sheets to double-cover the window that can receive direct sun.

19 hours ago, TunnelRat69 said:

I pay 300 baht a week for Mgt to clean my place once a week, turn on A/C for the day.

This seems excessive to me. Once a month would be more than enough. Still, it's your money to blow on whatever you wish, of course.

19 hours ago, TunnelRat69 said:
  • I pay my water bill to mgt in advance, they deduct the charges monthly, couple hundred baht.

The electricity bill sounds about right for 4 days flat-out use of 3 air-cons every month, but the water bill seems way over the top. I dont use that much water in a month when I am living in my condo full-time.

Archived