What Do You Imbibe?

Nam Plah

My ethanol of choice is...  

66 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

And does it make a difference?

I switched from Chang to Cheers because I liked the taste and from Mehkong to Sang Som because of fewer psychotic episodes but I would be interested in the opinion (both learned and uneducated) of others.

That is if you'all aint too soused...

:o

I voted Chang on a day to day basis but I much

prefer "Thai beer" (only English on the label)

for the taste but can only get it at Tesco/Lotus

and even they don't have it so often (but I

managed to get a case tonight so Slainte!)

:D

"Thai beer"? :o

Rully?

Never saw it before. What does it taste like, cans or bottles?

You should have never let the cat out of the bag... :D

Skol!

for the taste but can only get it at Tesco/Lotus

and even they don't have it so often (but I

managed to get a case tonight so Slainte!)

"Thai beer"? :o

Rully?

Never saw it before. What does it taste like, cans or bottles?

You should have never let the cat out of the bag... :D

Skol!

Well the brand looks like a deformed "1n".

I posted in another thread and somebody

suggested "Freedom beer".

Very full flavoured but not too much.

Why keep it a secret ?

If a few more people started buying it I

might find it in the 7/11 across the street.

PS Bottles - yai -

Why keep it a secret ?

PS Bottles - yai -

"Freedom Beer..."

Are you sure it's not American?

I'll do my part to bring it to your local Seven!

Why keep it a secret ?

PS Bottles - yai -

"Freedom Beer..."

Are you sure it's not American?

I'll do my part to bring it to your local Seven!

Not unless the yankees have learnt Thai

And learnt how to make good beer.

Those two shouldn't happen this millenium.

Anyway I think it goes better with French fries

rather then "freedom fries" (are they sad gits or what?)

And does it make a difference?

I switched from Chang to Cheers because I liked the taste and from Mehkong to Sang Som because of fewer psychotic episodes but I would be interested in the opinion (both learned and uneducated) of others.

That is if you'all aint too soused...

a quote from the buddah of all drinkers ( homer simpson ) " all beer is good - just some bettr than others "

"That stuff they sell at the moto taxi stand". You mean gasoline? :D

When I'm in Thailand it's Singha although a year down here in KL has developed my taste for Tiger. :o

BTW, you didn't include Phuket beer. I didn't see it in Pattaya last visit, Xmas, but then I didn't specifically go looking for it. Is it available there? The Thia restaurants here have it, not a bad drop of grog but not, to my mind, a session beer.

At the end of the day I'll drink pretty well whatever is available as long as it's cold but Heineken is way down the list, bluddy lady's lager.

Heineken for me, but i am amazed Nam Plah you are the first person i have ever come across who has anything complimentary to say about Cheers beer, the stuff is revolting, i have tasted some sh1t beers in my life and Cheers is certainly up there if not at the very top. But anyway each to there own and enjoy.

BB

Haven't had a drink in almost 12 years! Use the savings to buy 95 octane gas for my little airplane. It uses about 450 baht an hour. I used to go through $300 in booze and other intoxicants quicker than that! Happy days are here again! I love Thailand...

I used to drink Chang but I sometimes like to have more than three of the big bottles. After four big bottles it takes me two days to recover from the hangover. I have switched to one called Archa. It is very popular upcountry but I have not seen it in the Pattaya/Jomtien area. I can buy a box of 12 big bottles for 250 baht.

I also like Canadian whiskey but it is not available up here. I found a Thai brand called Coopers. It is no doubt imported, blended and just bottled here. It is very much like Canadian whiskey. At 190 baht per 750 ml bottle, it is pretty cheap.

SAN MIGUEL LITE !!!!

man !! that is the finest tasting beer in the world.

i get my maid to get box of small bottles, put them in the fridge and a few in the freezer.

Start drinking just when ice is begining to form,

delicious :o

Chang, Sinhga is bad, although i usually have a few singa lites in the fridge which I drink if I get an early morning craving but don't want to get too messed up .

I switched from Chang to Cheers because I liked the taste :

Cheers !!!??? :D

I'm guessing you may be from the USA... :o

totster :D

ok- I AM American,

I don't have great tastes in Beer but I'm not a complete loon (contrary to some local's opinions of me) :D

Chang gave me the worst hangover I can remember.

I drank so much Heineken that it just started to taste like bilge water so one night after quite a few Heinekens my pal produced a few Cheers from his freezer and it actually tasted good. Go figure.

I'll have to try San Miguel and Archa(?) but I mostly drink Sang Som as it get's the job done and requires fewer trips to the urinal.

The hangover isn't half bad either, I'll even splash some in my morning coffee if I need a hangover remedy... :D

Draft Chang. But only because the Draft John Smith's, draft Kilkenny and draft whatever-other-British-Isles-ale-there-may-be, are too damm expensive.

But a nice litre glass of draft Chang hits the spot at lunchtime, and another jar in the early evening, and another jar at the start of the evening bar-hop, followed closely by THE WIFE - run for it - but the loo's locked and blocked - where's that damm table and bottle ??

Only thing a bottled beer is good for - hitting someone over the head.

I voted Leo and Sang Som but I also like 'Thai Beer' . I read somewhere that it is actually rebadged Leo Beer that was pitched more at a nationalistic local buyer and sold for a few baht cheaper than Leo.

I used to buy cans of it in 7 Eleven stores in Jomtien but haven't noticed it in many places of late.

Ahh - a day on the beach with a half bottle of Sang Som, a bucket of ice and a bottle of soda :o

I used to drink Chang but I sometimes like to have more than three of the big bottles. After four big bottles it takes me two days to recover from the hangover. I have switched to one called Archa. It is very popular upcountry but I have not seen it in the Pattaya/Jomtien area. I can buy a box of 12 big bottles for 250 baht.

I also like Canadian whiskey but it is not available up here. I found a Thai brand called Coopers. It is no doubt imported, blended and just bottled here. It is very much like Canadian whiskey. At 190 baht per 750 ml bottle, it is pretty cheap.

Gary , where can you buy Coopers in Pattaya ?

I don't think Thailand really makes a great beer. For me its mainly coke or if i drink beer it's Leo or Heineken.

I don't think Thailand really makes a great beer. For me its mainly coke or if i drink beer it's Leo or Heineken.

Sorry, I have not seen that brand in Pattaya. I buy it in Loei province.

If this is the real Coopers it is Australian. It would have to be genuine as it is brewed in the bottle on location at the Coopers Brewery in South Oz. Their "Sparkling Ale" is the nectar of the gods.

If this is the real Coopers it is Australian. It would have to be genuine as it is brewed in the bottle on location at the Coopers Brewery in South Oz. Their "Sparkling Ale" is the nectar of the gods.

Are we talking about a beer or a spirit? Brewed in the bottle sounds more of a beer and, like the old Worthingtons, you have to be careful not to pour out the yeasty sludge at the bottom/

Edited by Humphrey Bear

Whiskey, whiskey, WHISKEY ! (But not Scotch !).

At home I usually have a bottle (or 3) of Sang Thip, a mickey of Mekong and a bottle of Jack Daniels. (Plus a bottle of Bailey's and perhaps some Kaluha).

When I'm out and about, it's usually Jack Daniels and Coke every where I go. There's a couple of places in Pattaya where they actually think my name is Jack-Coke ! One reason I like it is that if they try and slip you some cheap bar brand, you can usually taste the difference right away (only recall that happening once, and the former "soon-to-be-ex" went up and gave the bartending staff a blast. She worked there and probaby knew what kind of tricks they would normally pull on unsuspecting customers).

Had to laugh last year. Went to a birthday party at a club. Ran into I guy I had worked with in Kabul. He was halfway through his beer when I ordered my first Jack/Coke. I was ordering my 3rd when he ordered his next beer. A short time later he was just ordering another beer and commented that he'd better slow down. I was on my 7th drink and asked him how many beers he'd had. He had just ordered his THIRD ! Pussy !

The nice thing about it all is, now that I'm back in the 'stan, I don't miss it at all (the booze). Never even tried to smuggle any back with me. When I get back it will be a different story though !!! :o

Draft Chang. But only because the Draft John Smith's, draft Kilkenny and draft whatever-other-British-Isles-ale-there-may-be, are too damm expensive.

Your'e right John Smith's is expensive but if it's available i drink it. If not i like the odd Chang or Jack Daniels and coke