Naka Noi land fight spills into allegations of denied access to public beaches

rooster59

Naka Noi land fight spills into allegations of denied access to public beaches

By Eakkapop Thongtub

image (1).jpg

Lawyer Narongrit Naetikiettiwong, representing Phukhaohokluk (Six Mountains) Co Ltd owner Chanwit Lertkitsiriwattana, filed the complaint at the Phuket Damrongdhama Centre (Provincial Ombudsman’s Office) at Phuket Provincial Hall yesterday morning (Dec 14). Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: A formal complaint has been filed against a prominent Bangkok family alleging that they are refusing people access to public beach areas on Naka Noi Island, off Phuket’s east coast.

Lawyer Narongrit Naetikiettiwong, representing Phukhaohokluk (Six Mountains) Co Ltd owner Chanwit Lertkitsiriwattana, filed the complaint at the Phuket Damrongdhama Centre (Provincial Ombudsman’s Office) at Phuket Provincial Hall yesterday morning (Dec 14).

The complaint, addressed to Phuket Governor Phakaphong Tavipatana and the Director of Phuket Marine Region 5 office, requested a legal investigation on the rights for public access to a beach on Koh Naka Noi, and further requested prosecution of individuals that have prohibited access.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/naka-noi-land-fight-spills-into-allegations-of-denied-access-to-public-beaches-69694.php#mrJTWkYUvb7fpAwz.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2018-12-15

Not sure I fully understand. Is the island is privately owned or not, is the beach accessible to the public by water only. I am guessing tour companies want to set up on the island, land so they can make money destroying the environment. Does the family that claims ownership want to develop it for commercial use or preserve it?

Why is the family not named on Thaivisa in spite of being named in the Phuket News article? The fact could easily be checked with the court if there is a doubt, or be named as “allegedly”. A little too much fear of potential libel action or lazy reporting here methinks. With the resources of the Nation behind it, what are Thaivisa frightened of?

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Classic Ray said:

Why is the family not named on Thaivisa in spite of being named in the Phuket News article? The fact could easily be checked with the court if there is a doubt, or be named as “allegedly”. A little too much fear of potential libel action or lazy reporting here methinks. With the resources of the Nation behind it, what are Thaivisa frightened of?

Thaivisa does not write the news stories. Only copies.

21 hours ago, Ulic said:

Not sure I fully understand. Is the island is privately owned or not, is the beach accessible to the public by water only. I am guessing tour companies want to set up on the island, land so they can make money destroying the environment. Does the family that claims ownership want to develop it for commercial use or preserve it?

I understand it like this:

The land behind the shoreline is currently owned by the "Hiranprueck family" (which is disputed)

They have set up a pier and are offering jet skis to tourists at the beach which should not be allowed

They are prohibting access to the public beach in front of their land by the public and say you need to get their permission, this is what this news is about

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Ulic said:

you cannot block beaches. according to the law.

so looks like rich BKK family decides to full encroach to the island make it a private areas.

but that is illegal. beaches belong to the public, not a rich family.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Classic Ray said:

Thai Visa does not print an entire article unless it has permission from the owner of that article to do so,  Thai Visa will always try to  respect   'Fair Use' copyright laws. 

• Like 2