Britain's Labour will try to force parliament Brexit vote

webfact

2 hours ago, dunroaming said:

The good old WTO rules.

Our current EU membership means 0% tariffs.  WTO tariffs on cars is 10%.  On shoes it is 12% and on beef it is a staggering 90%.  Still we can gloss over that can't we.

Hang on a minute, so shoes from non eu countries have a 12% tariff, and beef a 90% tariff?

The 12% tariff I can understand - the 90% tariff on beef is way beyond understanding, bearing in mind eu farmers already receive huge CAP subsidies?

Who the hell came up with these 'rules'?  It certainly wasn't the electorate in any country!

Edited by dick dasterdly
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Hang on a minute, so shoes from non eu countries have a 12% tariff, and beef a 90% tariff?

The 12% tariff I can understand - the 90% tariff on beef is way beyond understanding, bearing in mind eu farmers already receive huge CAP subsidies?

Who the hell came up with these 'rules'?  It certainly wasn't the electorate in any country!

Wow, seems like it gets more absurd every day. Now the people should decide about tariffs, seriously? What’s next; asking them how to perform a heart surgery? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, elliss said:

I second that.   When Parliament vote  against the deal,  what next?. 

That's anybody's guess!  But what May's deal tells us is that there really is no compromise where Brexit is concerned.  I have for the past few weeks come to the opinion that it is managed no deal or quit Brexit- that's it!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

To look on the bright side, Blair is hated by pretty much everyone - so anything he supports only results in the populace thinking in the opposite direction ????.

Yes, he's interfered so much now he must have secretly converted. Our own Weapon of Mouth Destruction!  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dick dasterdly said:

High tariffs on Irish beef to UK and on British lamb to EU. Some bits of frozen beef at 87% but maybe the 90% was about pork pies? No free trade will hurt Ireland more than the UK as far as meat exports go but it's obviously not good for either. But with insane tariff levels like this, I would question the real benefits of the WTO, as well as the EU. The world is mad.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nauseus said:

High tariffs on Irish beef to UK and on British lamb to EU. Some bits of frozen beef at 87% but maybe the 90% was about pork pies? No free trade will hurt Ireland more than the UK as far as meat exports go but it's obviously not good for either. But with insane tariff levels like this, I would question the real benefits of the WTO, as well as the EU. The world is mad.

Try and bring a car into Thailand then !

Theresa Mayhem ,    Camerons  revenge . 

He  could not have picked a more suitable servant.

Edited by elliss

Corbyn has tabled a motion of no confidence in the Prim Minister...

This will not trigger a general election as it is not a no confidence motion of the Government.

but May may resign before the the Common recesses for Christmas and will only delay things even more.

There is not even a Deputy PM to stand in until a new PM is elected ...come back Nick all is forgiven.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Basil B said:

This will not trigger a general election as it is not a no confidence motion of the Government.

but May may resign before the the Common recesses for Christmas and will only delay things even more.

There is not even a Deputy PM to stand in until a new PM is elected ...come back Nick all is forgiven.

been scheduled yet?

49 minutes ago, Basil B said:

That is stupid, if you are calling for a "no confidence" vote -- it should be a "no confidence" vote -- not a vote on who is the ugliest duckling ... and an utterly useless grandstanding event... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

been scheduled yet?

No...

But No 10 sources told the BBC the government would not make time for the no-confidence vote.

Ministers would not "go along with silly political games", they added.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46599895

Her position is untenable, but it is not just the Brexiteers who will not back her, there are a lot of Remainers too...

Had Corbyn called a motion of confidence in the Government I am sure it is something like the house is immediately suspended until the next (working) day when the vote takes place.

Edit in:

I think if they do no schedule it today for a vote before the Christmas recess Corbyn may well motion a no confidence in the Government, could even go as far as saying the government delaying on the PM confidence vote is contempt of the house, he will probably get a lot more support for it.

Edited by Basil B
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Basil B said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk

Jeremy Corbyn has tabled a motion of no confidence in Theresa May, after she said MPs would not vote on her Brexit deal until the week of 14 January.

The PM had delayed the vote from last week, admitting she was set to lose.

Labour leader Mr Corbyn said on Monday it was unacceptable for MPs to wait a month to vote, adding the PM had led the UK into a "national crisis".

But No 10 sources told the BBC the government would not make time for the no-confidence vote.

Ministers would not "go along with silly political games", they added.

I can't help feeling that the government, TM, Corbyn and the ERG are now all more interested in playing political games to get their own goal, than worrying about what is best for the country 

• Like 2