"Digital Age!": No longer necessary to have a Thai driving license with you from January

webfact

46 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

A fairly large percentage of them don't carry one now.

Loads of them even have no license plates on their vehicles....

Why didn't they make this system using iris scans?? That's what china has now....The app can be easy copied from a brother/friend.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, DM07 said:

"Digital Age!": No longer necessary to have a Thai driving license with you from January

Here!

Fixed that for ya'! 

I was up country a couple of weeks ago and was stopped at a police check point. My wife and I were not wearing helmets so had to queue up to pay a fine.  This was okay with me as we were clearly in the wrong. We had borrowed the motorcycle from family and and they did not have spare helmets.  But of the 5 or 6 people ahead of us in the queue to pay their fines, not one had a drivers license, so some were fined for not only not wearing a skid lid but also not having a license. There was even a car driver who was stopped and fined for not having a license.

I was shocked.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pattaya46 said:

"No longer necessary to have a Thai driving license with you from January"

And again an article wrong by ThaiVisa :dry:

This will be true only for those who have a very recent DL with a QR Code on the back.

Mine is less than 3 years old and doesn't have this code...

My DL is two weeks old and has the QR code. Scanned it with my phone............just a jumble of letters and numbers came up, nothing similar to any of the numbers on the licence. .

Edited by wgdanson
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ouch!!!!  I'd better go and pay those outstanding fines!!! 

It'll be interesting to see this in play, the average 'cop on the street' is usually the last to learn of these changes in policy, which, in truth is not a legal change in policy at all but a media announcement....  A change in the law (if it is a legal change) has to pass parliamentary approval. 

1 hour ago, fruitman said:

Loads of them even have no license plates on their vehicles....

Why didn't they make this system using iris scans?? That's what china has now....The app can be easy copied from a brother/friend.

If you see a new vehicle or a newly purchased second hand vehicle, the chances are that the paper work is done.

But the plates take some time to be delivered. They drive the car, bikes or scoots with the paperwork but not the plates.

Not condoning. This is a tiny poor country with 90 millions. Give them some slack with the admin details.