absolute beginner

nikmar

Not fluent in Thai but speak enough to make myself understood in most situations. 

Currently getting my son to write karaoke style language in Thai next to simple English sentences and were going from there. Also getting her to learn the alphabet on Youtube along with simple vocab. 

Have some ideas to go with here. ????

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Lots of bar-girls learn English by just trying it often enough. First they understand nothing, then very little, then a little more, and after a while many of them are pretty good in English.

I think it's a question of how much time you want to spend with her. And maybe maybe that is the reason she asked. Maybe she want's that you spend a lot of time with her - and maybe not only to learn English.

She s gorgeous by the way. But also married with 3 kids so thats defo out of the question. Ive met the husband as well.

I see her everyday so a bit of time as and when i can spare it.

• Thanks 1

If she's a vendor, start with the numbers. Then, find an alphabet book, or make your own - "a -apple, b-bed" etc. If your Thai is at some sort of intermediate level, you can then proceed to some vocabulary which she can write. Once she gets to the point where she can speak Thailish (Thai grammar in English), she needs a Thai teacher.

• Like 2

Haha. Exactly my thought also. My daughter has just turned 3 and she knew the whole alphabet in Thai and English before the age of 2.Now her English is better than her moms.No issues with r or l either. So the ABC songs do work
Kids are super quick to pick up new knowledge.

The older they get the harder it becomes
  • Like 1

Start by trying to explain this... We fly, they fly, you fly, I fly, he flies... 

Just kidding but probably first step is to start with a vocabulary list and test their interest in learning... some people want to learn but not if it requires time and effort &... 

Edited by kenk24
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Lots of bar-girls learn English by just trying it often enough. First they understand nothing, then very little, then a little more, and after a while many of them are pretty good in English.

I think it's a question of how much time you want to spend with her. And maybe maybe that is the reason she asked. Maybe she want's that you spend a lot of time with her - and maybe not only to learn English.

A few years ago when I utilized TF (dating site) to meet Thai fems, I noted the frequency of "I want to learn English". This was just a 'come on line'. I never met one that was truly there wanting to meet a farang so that she could learn English. Heh, but it was fun! Glad now that those days are behind me.

• Like 2