Embassy letter to open bank account

I'm going to the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok on Friday to get an Income affidavit for my retirement extension. Since I will be there, I was thinking about also getting an affidavit to help me open a bank account here in case I need to transfer money into Thailand sometime in the future. 

Does anyone know how long a letter like this would be accepted for opening an account? The income affidavits are supposedly good for six months, but I have no idea about this type of document.

I'm reading online that Bangkok Bank won't let a foreigner open an account without this embassy affidavit. I ran into the same thing when trying to get my Thai drivers license last year (what a hassle that was). This stuff is all great if you live in Bangkok, not so much if you're 3 hours away without a car.

Thanks for any information.

DH

Most banks require some form of reference these days.

2. Foreigner without work permit

• Passport
  • A reference letter issued by one of the following institutes or organizations or required document
    • Embassy located  in Thailand
    • An overseas bank where the customer holds an account sent via SWIFT
    • Trusted individuals such as a Bangkok Bank staff member or customer, director of a private company, permanent residence in Thailand, government or private educational institutes located in Thailand trusted by the Bank
    • Trusted companies, e.g., an employment letter from the company if the customer is in the process of applying for a work permit.
    • Document showing ownership of a fixed asset such as a condominium sale/purchase agreement (a condominium which is acceptable to Bangkok Bank) Or a property reservation agreement valued at 100,000 baht or more with a reference letter from the property developer that is acceptable to Bangkok Bank.

Notes: Contact addresses for both Thailand and overseas must be provided (hotel and P.O. Box addresses are not acceptable).

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Other-Services/Foreign-Customers/Bangkok-Bank-Accounts

As an existing customer of Bangkok Bank, I've recommended a few friends to BKK, verbally in person.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, soon2bexpat said:

Last month my Wife and I went to SCB in Central Mall Pattaya to open a joint account. The Manageress refused as 1: I do not have a work permit and 2: my Non Imm O visa issued in October 18 and valid until October 19 "was not for 12 months" ????? I couldn't work the rationale of that out. I do not work so do not need a work permit.

Next day went to SCB in Tesco Lotus South and in 15 minutes a new account was opened. All depends on which branch and who you deal with I guess.

I can't open any other accounts either besides the Direct Deposit and Savings Account I have with Bangkok Bank. I tried at several other banks to open another account and they kept babbling about a work permit, while I kept telling them that I was RETIRED. This absolutely MUST be connected to FBAR regulations. Singapore will no longer open accounts for ANY American. It's hard to blame them when they are being forced into onerous paperwork by a foreign government. I wonder if this will change once Thailand is added to the IDD list?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

@davhend25::  Did the US Embassy trip last week(11th) and secured the Income Affidavit. Week before(7th) Went to BBL branch(Atsadang Rd.) in Korat where I had opened an account some years past but they dropped the embassy letter requirement on me. I had my folder of docs that I used in April when I renewed retirement extension. 

Moved on to "main" location(Chumpon Rd.) here in Korat and opened new savings account. This one with ATM but if go the Direct Deposit route(pending SSA and banks directive) for income deposit, no ATM. You need counter service to withdraw cash,etc. They took copies of passport face page, retirement ext. pages, original lease agreement, done.

This location has an efficient staff. English speaking and deals with many more foreign customers then most branches. Be mindful that the bank letter will be 1700 baht. No 2 for one at the embassy. Just saying, don't stop at the first "no" at the bank. Be cordial even when you don't feel like it....if you want the letter since you are trekkin to BKK anyway you would be good at the bank.....hope all goes well for you.

1 hour ago, soon2bexpat said:

Last month my Wife and I went to SCB in Central Mall Pattaya to open a joint account. The Manageress refused as 1: I do not have a work permit and 2: my Non Imm O visa issued in October 18 and valid until October 19 "was not for 12 months" ????? I couldn't work the rationale of that out. I do not work so do not need a work permit.

Next day went to SCB in Tesco Lotus South and in 15 minutes a new account was opened. All depends on which branch and who you deal with I guess.

That is very true,  I tend to stay away from the Mall banks no matter which one, my original account I open 17 years ago on Second Rd just off Pattaya Klang as you head toward Central Marina Mall just me and my GF wife for 15 years never was ask for anything but Passport at that time I hadn't even retired and moved full time to Thailand, Second one opened 8 years ago beginning of the Darkside, again Bangkok Bank on Sukhumvit next to the appliance store Num Chai just passprt, same branch I opened an account for my son underage then just passport, and recently another book for my wife and I further inside the Darkside also Bangkok Bank only passport.

A few years back I recommended a few guys to the Big C Extra upstairs is a Bank green color that would do it with just a passport didn't have to be retired and just visiting not sure any longer?

4 hours ago, thailand49 said:

I've opened a number of accounts here in Pattaya and never had anyone ask me for anything other than my passport.

Driver license here in Pattaya go to Immigration and obtain a letter of residences not sure other locations?

I have a Bangkok bank in Bangkok. As a USA citiszen they always require an embassy letter of residence or residence certificate to open a bank account. 

Went to Pattaya to open a Bangkok Bank or. kasikorn and the same requirements. If you are a USA citizen this has been required for several years. 

• Thanks 1

Tanoshi above neglected to copy entire requirement for BBK Bank for opening an account. This is what happens on this site when we get partial information that is not totally accurate. We need to pay attention to detail when advising others...the rest of that page:

3. Foreigner with permanent residence in Thailand

• Passport or Certificate of Residence or Alien Certificate
  • House Registration document

This means that if you go to your local immigration office and get a certificate of residence that costs around 500 baht you can use that also and do not need to have a letter from your embassy....Same requirement as when you get your driver's license...the Certificate of residence is a legal document used for proof of  residence here in Thailand in most instances...

2 hours ago, Internatltraveler said:

He did not post that since not many people have permanent residence in Thailand.

The certificate of residence is proof of permanent residency.

33 minutes ago, Internatltraveler said:

Tanoshi above neglected to copy entire requirement for BBK Bank for opening an account. This is what happens on this site when we get partial information that is not totally accurate. We need to pay attention to detail when advising others...the rest of that page:

This means that if you go to your local immigration office and get a certificate of residence that costs around 500 baht you can use that also and do not need to have a letter from your embassy....Same requirement as when you get your driver's license...the Certificate of residence is a legal document used for proof of  residence here in Thailand in most instances...

Agreed,thats if your local IMO will issue one,some dont.cheers

5 hours ago, walkoff said:

@davhend25::  Did the US Embassy trip last week(11th) and secured the Income Affidavit. Week before(7th) Went to BBL branch(Atsadang Rd.) in Korat where I had opened an account some years past but they dropped the embassy letter requirement on me. I had my folder of docs that I used in April when I renewed retirement extension. 

Moved on to "main" location(Chumpon Rd.) here in Korat and opened new savings account. This one with ATM but if go the Direct Deposit route(pending SSA and banks directive) for income deposit, no ATM. You need counter service to withdraw cash,etc. They took copies of passport face page, retirement ext. pages, original lease agreement, done.

This location has an efficient staff. English speaking and deals with many more foreign customers then most branches. Be mindful that the bank letter will be 1700 baht. No 2 for one at the embassy. Just saying, don't stop at the first "no" at the bank. Be cordial even when you don't feel like it....if you want the letter since you are trekkin to BKK anyway you would be good at the bank.....hope all goes well for you.

Thank you for much good and kind information...I figured that as long as I was going to the embassy anyway, I'd just get the letter that some banks are now asking for. Thanks, again, my friend. DH

I had my wife talk to SCB at the Ramathibodi Hostpital where she works, they seemed confused about the setup (Mainly US requirements), as I think they deal mainly with foreign students working at the hospital under a Work permit. But they did finally get it setup properly, I think they wanted my Pink Card, Yellow Book, and Passport information (copied pages). Either way it was pretty painless. No Embassy letter needed.

Edited by ocddave
  • Like 2

I got a kasikorn bank & bangkok bank accounts on tourist visas,just took my passport & 12 month yearly lease for my apartment & B20000 cash,no problem,before brexit started i would go in the main branch with my bankbook,passport & uk bank card & transfer money,only charged me B30 & nothing else,they stopped doing that now  & atm charges gone up

1 hour ago, grego49 said:

Agreed,thats if your local IMO will issue one,some dont.cheers

I think you did not read my post just before yours. It is not the same certificate of residence.

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

He did not post that since not many people have permanent residence in Thailand.

The certificate of residence is proof of permanent residency.

12 hours ago, thailand49 said:

I've opened a number of accounts here in Pattaya and never had anyone ask me for anything other than my passport.

Driver license here in Pattaya go to Immigration and obtain a letter of residences not sure other locations?

I opened a 2nd bank a/c last week. It was a hassle but I got it. (It took 4 hours sitting at the counter)

The thing was, I needed to tick no to a page and a half document stating I was not a US citizen, had no green card and so on.

The document went on and on. Must only apply to US citizens.

Tried to get a drivers licence the same week. No go.

I need a letter from my embassy stating that my licence is legit. 

It obviously is, one licence man verified it but that was not good enough. 

Next time I travel 3 hours to Bangkok, and find my embassy, book the appointment, get the confirmation letter,

get it translated, pay off somebody - maybe I will get one. Maybe.

Meanwhile, the man said I could drive because the police in this province do not target falung. Maybe, lol

You may also want to bear it in mind that the BKK Bank will be cancelling all its Visa-based ATM cards at the end of December and forcing their customers to take (and pay for) new ones which support the Chinese Union Pay debit cards.

I spent a pleasant hour today opening new accounts with another bank (5-year 6-digit chipped Visa cards, usable anywhere in the world and online) and transferring all my money out of the BKK Bank - which I have been with for the last 19 years and been very happy with . . . up until now.

Edited by robsamui
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, robsamui said:

You may also want to bear it in mind that the BKK Bank will be cancelling all its Visa-based ATM cards at the end of December and forcing their customers to take (and pay for) new ones which support the Chinese Union Pay debit cards.

The Visa cards are valid for use until they expire. But if they are not a chip card may not work in a ATM late next year.

Bangkok bank is now issuing MasterCards. I have 3 cards on one account now Visa, Mastercard and Unionpay.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, robsamui said:

Not so, they will also be issuing M/C based ATM cards, it seems they have responded to complaints.

Their ATM cards are also 6 digit PIN and chipped.

Edited by jacko45k

50 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Not so, they will also be issuing M/C based ATM cards, it seems they have responded to complaints.

Their ATM cards are also 6 digit PIN and chipped.

I can verify these are available now, even in remote-area branches.  I recently got one for my account - returning the 'union pay' card in the process.  Charges from USA companies have worked OK. 

This will help those needing to balance having a "minimum" amount of money transferred to Thailand every month (as part of income-proof), but having expenses overseas to pay.

• Thanks 1

Embassy do provide a letter to open bank account and they charge between 1000-1500 bhat, you need to go and fill statutory declaration in person.  I recently contacted New Zealand embassy regarding this.  Shouldn’t be a problem.probaly the most easiest requirements of all and also depends on which branch, if anyone advise which branch in bank easy for foreigners,would be useful, save you time and money.

• 2 years later...
On 12/18/2018 at 6:59 AM, ubonjoe said:

You will do an affidavit confirming your address and residence which will satisfy a bank.

See: https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/local-resources-of-u-s-citizens/notaries-public/affidavit/

There is a "blank affidavit" at this link that requires the submitter to fill in the information for the embassy to notarize. Is this the proper format of the embassy reference letter that Bangkok Bank is looking for? Would I just write in my contact addresses for Thailand and overseas onto this form and have the embassy notarize it?

I can visit Bangkok Bank in person after I leave ASQ on February 15 and try to open an account under a visa exempt stamp. March 16 is the earliest notary services appointment currently available at the U.S. embassy (I made an appointment in case needed). So a 30 day extension of stay may be necessary for me to open a bank account.