Step Children To The Uk

Well here is the situation.

I have just returned from a month in Thailand. During which time, as intended I:

a/ Got married to my Girlfriend of 14 mths, and

b/ Met the wifes three daughters, which of course are now my step daughters.

In regard to the Mrs: we intend to apply for a settlement visa, in six months time. (I am building up the neccessary six months bank statements, as required in the home office guidelines; starting from scratch). Otherwise we would apply immediately for the SV.

In regards to the kids: Well never having had kids before; I wasn't sure how we would all take to each other, but what actually happened is that I fell for the kids big time, and they for me.

You know whats coming, but here's the background:

There are three daughters, aged 4,5 and 10.

The father abandoned the family around 4 years ago, and the wife was granted a sole custody order, along with the divorce, by the local amphur around four years ago.

I have supported the wife and family for the last 14 months, since I met the Mr's; thats full financial support, while she looked after the kids at home in Isan.

The children look on me as their father, and they want to live wherever I live, which is in the UK.

I look on the kids as daughters, and I want them to live with me and the wife, as a family, in the UK.

The wife wants us all to live together in the Uk as a family: The questions are these (I have searched past posts, but it's just not clear to me yet; sorry).

1. Will the wife have any problems, including the children in a settlement visa application, noting that she has a "sole custody order" issued by the amphur.

2. Will I have a problem, in regard to suitable accomodation. I have a single large bedroom available for the three girls (4,5 and 10). I was going to convert it into two rooms, but they want one room, and one big bed, as thats what makes them happy!

3. Will I have a problem, in regard to means of support. I am self employed, and saving around £200-250 a week at the moment, after outgoings: is this going to be viewed as sufficient funds to support the wife and three daughters, bearing in mind the next question?

4. I understand that "means of support" means without recourse to "public funds." I have managed to get by so far without ever receiving any public funds, of any description, but a mate in work told me that he gets £200 a week assistance for his three daughters. I don't know the first thing about benefits, but he said that was comprised of working tax credit, family allowance, and family credit. If my understanding is right: I cannot receive any of those benefits in regard to the three girls, and I must support them solely on what I earn? If thats the case, could you please look again at my third question!

Thanks in advance gents (Scouser and GU22, hope you are out there guys).

Edited by Talisman

Firstly, provided you can prove your income is sufficient and you can show it, then there is no need to wait until you have 6 months bank statements. You could apply now if you wish.

To take your other points in order.

1) No. She has a legal document granting her sole custody, that's it.

2) See Chapter 9 – The maintenance and accommodation requirements, 9.10 - Maintenance and accommodation: entry as a dependant , 9.11 - Adequacy of accommodation and 9.12 - Overcrowding. As they are all the same sex, sharing a large room should not be a problem.

3) Difficult one. From Chapter 9 again

There is no prescribed minimum figure for what represents sufficient maintenance. Appeals Tribunals and the higher courts have consistently upheld the principle that the appropriate level of maintenance without recourse to public funds varies widely from case to case
So you need to satisfy them that in your particular circumstances you have sufficient funds.

4)You wife will be barred from claiming these benefits, but you are not! Odd as it seems you can claim Child Benefit, Child Tax Credits and Working Tax Credits for them, but not until they are here. So you cannot, or at least would be unwise to, rely on these benefits to satisfy the financial requirement when making the applications.

Remember too, 4 people means 4 applications and 4 fees.

Best of luck, any more questions feel free to ask.

As GU22 noted, it's not a requirement of the immigration rules to have 6 months' bank statements, so, providing you can otherwise demonstrate that you have sufficient funds to support your wife and step-children, there's no reason why you should have to wait 6 months.

However, start saving, as the application fees will amount to £1040.00 by themselves.

All the best,

Scouse.

An interesting topic.. for me anyway!

Apart from the legalities in this and the mechanics involved in getting the kids over have you thought about the practicalities and the probable problems the kids are likely to encounter settling in?

My GF has 2 kids aged 6 and 12 and I've often thought about what would happen if they came to the UK. My GF is about to do her second visitor visa to the UK so we're not quite at the stage of even her settling over here just yet.

As I see it the 6 yr old is still young enough to adapt quickly but the 12yr old would be another matter I think. I would love us all to be together but not sure if it would be right for the kids.

Has anyone got any experience in this...how did it go, what were the mainproblems and how did you overcome them ...if you were able to overcome them?

Cheers

Taz...

but the 12yr old would be another matter I think. I would love us all to be together but not sure if it would be right for the kids.

Has anyone got any experience in this...how did it go, what were the mainproblems and how did you overcome them ...if you were able to overcome them?

Cheers

Taz...

Taz,

This was discussed partly on this link.

It might prove useful, it might not.

If you want any further info, post again if I can help I will.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=104858

Good Luck

Moss

As GU22 noted, it's not a requirement of the immigration rules to have 6 months' bank statements, so, providing you can otherwise demonstrate that you have sufficient funds to support your wife and step-children, there's no reason why you should have to wait 6 months.

However, start saving, as the application fees will amount to £1040.00 by themselves.

All the best,

Scouse.

Well on the brightside you can get cheap hotels in Bangkok!