Debts incurred during marrige

Rubberdoll70

Hi! Can anyone clarify if I am liable for a wifes debts incurred during the marriage be it bank or credit card debt if I have not signed as a guarantor? She already has her own property so I know this is hers but I would like to know if I am liable for any other debts during the marriage?

Thanks in advance RDP.

9 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

my estranged wife who lives 1,000 km from me caused an accident, 3 million bahts worth of damage, the court ordered her to sweep the temple yard for 2 weeks and I had to pay the 3 million

Sorry, not funny.

1 hour ago, Danthai said:

Once married with responsible for each other's debts. Before registered both parties not responsible. That's why if your buying house with land, must be in her name before registration. 

Another scenario, if you have a joint bank account with your wife, then 50% of what's in that account at any time is hers by law.

If she incurs debts (any debts) and the creditor takes her to court then the judge can order that her 50% in the joint account has to be withdrawn (by a court order) from that account and under court supervision used to pay off / reduce her debt(s).

Pretty much the same in every country.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

the sad one is, recalling a Post from a while back - 

someone had his SisterInLaw I think it was?

she's come to stay with her sister, his wife at their home

she then disappears

the debt collectors are acoming, all thereatening like...

Him and wife cop the debt of the runaway SIL as they are the ones still on the spot where the SIL was last known at!

sometimes it is just as good, to very well quickly jump on a plane back to falangland...

S.E.P.   Somebody Else's Problem 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, soalbundy said:

my estranged wife who lives 1,000 km from me caused an accident, 3 million bahts worth of damage, the court ordered her to sweep the temple yard for 2 weeks and I had to pay the 3 million

This is not a joke is it? Did the court actually ordered you to pay the 3 million? I don't think so. What did the judge actually said. Did he say under which section of the law you are liable for the accident caused by your wife and therefore you had to pay the fine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, madmen said:

100% agree but Problem is the Gf will use emotional black mail eg you no lub me? If no marry me Iook other man etc etc

Farang fall for it hook line and sinker

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

I think that most women everywhere would be the same, It's called don't string me along.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, madusa said:

This is not a joke is it? Did the court actually ordered you to pay the 3 million? I don't think so. What did the judge actually said. Did he say under which section of the law you are liable for the accident caused by your wife and therefore you had to pay the fine.

Probably it was under the section..
'If farang has not married thai this accident would not have happened'

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, soalbundy said:

WHOA :crying:

4 hours ago, manhood said:

Sorry but everyone who marries in Thailand is totally crazy. Why not stay with someone but don't marry her as you marry the whole family. Stay away!

that would be good if man use the correct head to think.... unfortunately the majority use the lower head.....

• Sad 1

41 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I have been with my wife for 13 years and 8 of these are through marriage, and I can assure you I have not married any of her family. I know it is just a figure of speech. The only thing I have ever been asked for was my wifes brother asked her to ask me if I could let him borrow my motorbike for a few hours as he knew myself and my wife were going out together in the truck.

That was the only time any of her family has ever asked me for anything in the 13 years I have known them.

lucky bastard (lol)

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, scorecard said:

Another scenario, if you have a joint bank account with your wife, then 50% of what's in that account at any time is hers by law.

If she incurs debts (any debts) and the creditor takes her to court then the judge can order that her 50% in the joint account has to be withdrawn (by a court order) from that account and under court supervision used to pay off / reduce her debt(s).

Sorry, don't buy any of it above..........a joint bank account is owned by both parties, 100% of it............not 50%.  From where did you find this tidbit of misinformation??   The only thing one person cannot do with a Joint Account is close the account without the other agreeing/signing as well.  Either party can withdraw up to minimum deposit before the account is closed. 

I an sure this is total BS!!! You are not responsible for loans of your wife and other damages what she done. Every bank, loan shark, ... who want to become money from you must show in court that you know that your wife borrowed money and you must have signed for it too. Point!!!

And if you can be liabled than 100% it is limited to what you and your wife earned and bought in your marriage. So everything what you had before is 100% SAFE!!!

Next point is that if your wife damage something, the court can't order that YOU pay it because YOU don't done something and You are not in court!!!

I am sure that some people here believe all what their wife and lawyer say pay it, but ... I want let it gone to court. ????

9 hours ago, possum1931 said:

I have been with my wife for 13 years and 8 of these are through marriage, and I can assure you I have not married any of her family. I know it is just a figure of speech. The only thing I have ever been asked for was my wifes brother asked her to ask me if I could let him borrow my motorbike for a few hours as he knew myself and my wife were going out together in the truck.

That was the only time any of her family has ever asked me for anything in the 13 years I have known them.

great family...there are plenty of normal great familys in thailand not all wifes are gold diggers .but news about them are so much fun to read

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, scorecard said:

With respect...isn't that kinda obvious...If her name is on a "joint account" ...that means half the money in that account is hers?

why would any man get married? why even take the risk? what is there to gain? my smarter mates just did temple weddings with plenty of photos. as long as the event cost enough money it seems to do for most thai girls.

Edited by guest879

13 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Ditto...  My wife's family asked me for help once in 11 years.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, manhood said:

Sorry but everyone who marries in Thailand is totally crazy. Why not stay with someone but don't marry her as you marry the whole family. Stay away!

Your above post is totally crazy, yet you say i am why?

I am legally married to the best wife any man could wish for.

Not married to her family, yes they used to come asking, sometimes stealing.

I sorted that by having an electric motor fitted to the gate, and security fencing.

Now have a dog that only understands commands in English, outlaws come to the gate, have to ask permission to get in, dog growls at them, when they try to stop the dog, shouting at her in Thai, she just continues growling.

If my wife wants to speak with them she goes over to their homes,

• Like 1

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

Your above post is totally crazy, yet you say i am why?

I am legally married to the best wife any man could wish for.

Not married to her family, yes they used to come asking, sometimes stealing.

I sorted that by having an electric motor fitted to the gate, and security fencing.

Now have a dog that only understands commands in English, outlaws come to the gate, have to ask permission to get in, dog growls at them, when they try to stop the dog, shouting at her in Thai, she just continues growling.

If my wife wants to speak with them she goes over to their homes,

That's the best laugh I've had in a very long time.

So you have effectively barred your wife's family from entering your property without permission.  Did your wife agree to this?

You also have a dog that only understands the English language.  Is the dog also able to converse in that language?

Has your wife every heard of mobile phones as they can be useful for communicating with others?

13 minutes ago, anchadian said:

That's the best laugh I've had in a very long time.

So you have effectively barred your wife's family from entering your property without permission.  Did your wife agree to this?

You also have a dog that only understands the English language.  Is the dog also able to converse in that language?

Has your wife every heard of mobile phones as they can be useful for communicating with others?

Yes i have barred the outlaws from the property, wife not in agreement 100%, but not happy that her family were stealing at every opportunity, anyway now only her father comes over, but only when my wife is home.

Bit silly asking if the dog can converse in English, normal people know dogs cannot speak.:cheesy:

Also you are being very sarcastic about mobile phones, but what the hell, i can be sarcastic as well.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Yes i have barred the outlaws from the property, wife not in agreement 100%, but not happy that her family were stealing at every opportunity, anyway now only her father comes over, but only when my wife is home.

Bit silly asking if the dog can converse in English, normal people know dogs cannot speak.:cheesy:

Also you are being very sarcastic about mobile phones, but what the hell, i can be sarcastic as well.

Now I understand.  I knew your wife wouldn't fully agree with that arrangement of not allowing her family to visit without permission.

The dog remark was a joke and I'm sure your wife communicates with her family by mobile.

Going back to the original posters question.  Of course you are not liable for any debts incurred by your wife.