Thai govt launches two-pronged attack on inequality

webfact

Okay so if they are earning Bt2,687 then they are above the poverty line. Really? I would have thought the line should be drawn a few thousand higher.  Who can live on Baht 3,000 a month? I really don't know how they do it.

• Like 1

Right, we tried the 'throwing money at it' approach, - didn't work. Some crooks stole all the money, not the army though... never.

Now for the smoke and mirrors approach. That'll work...

I love the spokesman though, that's a new take on the clown-suit if I'm not mistaken, gone is the red nose and the baggy trousers. Now we have trendy glasses and a dopey look on the face.

He's right at the punch line though... "I swear, they were *this* big..."

Edited by HalfLight
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, PatOngo said:

What an absolute crock of --it! For 30 years that I know of, the rich have stolen from the poor and any time they have voiced opposition, out comes the army to quell dissent. You can fool some of the people some of the time......nothing will change while ever greed is the mandate!

Wow.

Only 30 years that you know of? 

Forever seems to be a more realistic figure of measurement.

16 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand is the world’s most unequal country, since the richest 1 per cent own 66.9 per cent of the country’s wealth. The government claimed the report was based on outdated and inaccurate figures.

The government will always have a hard time effectively tackling this problem when they are part of the 1 percent. They want to set up policies to create equality for the rest of the population without diminishing their own wealth and that just won't work.

Well that certainly puts the kiss of death on it and any future hope for the 99%.
If his ineffective performance over the last 4+ years is anything to go by then it is sure to make the rich and poor gap wider and the greedy 1% acquire an even greater percentage of the wealth. 
Give him a break, he needs to buy more watches to keep up with his brother.....then the poor will be given consideration.
  • Haha 1

On 12/19/2018 at 4:05 AM, webfact said:

According to the Credit Suisse Global Wealth Report 2018, published in October, Thailand is the world’s most unequal country, since the richest 1 per cent own 66.9 per cent of the country’s wealth. The government claimed the report was based on outdated and inaccurate figures. Kobsak claimed that the number of Thais in poverty had fallen from 34.1 million in 1991 to 6.2 million. 

The government claimed the report was based on outdated and inaccurate figures.

Yeah, right, ok, my figures are from another reliable source;

China 47% of the country's wealth is owned by 1% of the population

India 45%   "    "       "            "              "       "  "        "         "

Thailand 96 %          "            "        "     "       "           "         "

Considerably depressing worse figures...

He also advised raising the value-added tax rate from the current 7 per cent. The military budget should be cut in order to increase more welfare budgets, he added.

No.

VAT affects everybody.

Yes.

Cut the military budget and more importantly, get rid of 75% of the top officer echelons - generals, admirals, air force field marshals etc.

Here's another idea, how about putting 5 % MORE tax on anybody currently clearing 20 mil per annum?