Staggering back towards democracy [Editorial]

webfact

43 minutes ago, mok199 said:

2019 and your still rampant corruption ,total lawlessness,road carnage and packs of wild dogs roaming freely...Mabey its time we broke up, ''its not you its me'', you'll never change, let me take my steely dan tapes and go ..its been a slice

That'll be you're Haitian divorce then Mok .. :smile:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand’s standing in the world’s eyes has taken a beating after two coups in less than a decade.

Wasted years for Thailand. Ought to put the coup leaders in jail for the damages they have done to the country although some may argue that they got their footpath and beach back. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mok199 said:

2019 and your still rampant corruption ,total lawlessness,road carnage and packs of wild dogs roaming freely...Mabey its time we broke up, ''its not you its me'', you'll never change, let me take my steely dan tapes and go ..its been a slice

That's sooo to the point... To the extent I am wondering whether it wouldn't be preferable to go with my little family and face relative poverty somewhere in Tasmania or New England.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, KiChakayan said:

That's sooo to the point... To the extent I am wondering whether it wouldn't be preferable to go with my little family and face relative poverty somewhere in Tasmania or New England.

That will depend on whether your family and yourself are still mesmerized by his weekly TV talks. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, natway09 said:

I am not sure Thailand is or will in the near future ready for democracy (whatever that means)

Some 25 years ago I watched a talk show where Helmut Schmidt and Lee Kwan Yue were invited. Both retired, or semi retired, statesmen displayed some absolutely mesmerising wisdom. They agreed that the authoritarian tradition of most Asian states required a different path, to a style of democracy that may remain different, at least for a period, of what we in the west expect from democracy. Interestingly in many neighbouring countries one can observe such process at various stages, while Thailand remains stuck in the state it was 50 years ago. Sad.