First satellite made-in-Thailand enters orbit

snoop1130

2 hours ago, simon43 said:

Actually, the idea of these Cubesats is that they use components that can be bought off the shelf.  The estimated life of a Cubesat may be from a few days to a year or so.  Therefore, expensive, space-hardened components are not required. The projects demonstrate that functioning mini-satellites can be built using cheap, common components.

Using ham radio bands for uplink and downlink data transmissions is the norm - it minimises any spectrum licencing issues and costs.

The metal tape antenna is also the accepted design method for the VHF/UHF antenna.  Why?  Because during launch, the tape is curled up safely and cannot interfere with the ejection mechanism to launch the minisat into orbit.  Once jettisoned into space, a data signal releases the tension of the tape measure and it automatically unfurls in the vacuum environment.

Sometimes, the most simple solutions are the best ones ????

Interesting article which supplies further info' on the CubeSats:

https://business.financialpost.com/telecom/canadian-nanosatellite-startup-kepler-communications-raises-us16m-for-next-round-of-satellites

I am curious to know if the Thailand CubeSat has loRaWAN Gateway or Sensor modules installed. 

LoRaWAN is a very recent innovation that will soon revolutionise IOT (Internet of Things). I have a LoRaWAN temperature and humidity Sensor installed in my apartment which communicates with a Bangkok LoRaWAN Gateway. Live data can be viewed here...

https://supiet.tk/ttn/index.php?page=Gateways

There are other LoRaWAN Sensors being monitored which are located in UK.

Edited by John_Betong

1 hour ago, evadgib said:

Great vid but for a number of reasons I concluded that it must fake/staged when I saw it a few days ago.

What reasons?  I actually know this guy (from a distance) and have followed his wacky adventures for some time.  I think the effort needed to stage it would be greater than the effort needed to actually do it.

6 hours ago, simon43 said:

Sometimes, the most simple solutions are the best ones

After all, the Polynesians crossed the Pacific on a raft. ????

You dont need state of the art to explore. Just explore.

3 hours ago, attrayant said:

What reasons?  I actually know this guy (from a distance) and have followed his wacky adventures for some time.  I think the effort needed to stage it would be greater than the effort needed to actually do it.

- 4x smartphones potentially written off @ $$$ each?

- Most/all of the alleged thieves appeared black. 

- No one got shot! (is that really his own front yard?)

- An item dressed as a parcel containing elec-trickery ...in Trumpton?

Great entertainment and highly profitable but I'm not swallowing it. Good luck to him all the same ????

Edited by evadgib

On ‎12‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 9:14 PM, stanleycoin said:

Braking news

It's just hit the international space station

and is now accelerating away from

the scene at high speed. :giggle:

as the driver does a runner...

• Haha 1