60 deaths a day still a stain on improved Thai road toll ranking

webfact

60 deaths a day still a stain on improved road toll ranking

By The Nation

b350c4400944961f19046c6440c09871.jpeg

File photo

THAILAND has seen fewer road casualties this year but remains the world’s ninth-most dangerous nation when road accidents are in the picture, according to a report compiled by the World Health Organisation (WHO).

Every day road accidents have claimed an average of 60 lives in Thailand, the 2018 Global Status Report on Road Safety shows. No Asean nation has a higher road fatality rate. 

“Of those perishing in Thai road accidents, 74 per cent are motorcycle or tricycle users,” Daniel Kertesz, WHO representative to Thailand, said yesterday.

He also lamented that most victims were between 15 and 29 years old – so young to face such an untimely death, especially considering that road accidents are preventable.

According to statistics from Thai authorities, drunk driving, speeding and failure to wear crash helmets are among the common causes of accidents and related deaths.

2f96eaf09eeb046b10008cfd0a25e789.jpeg

File photo

Ninth worst in the world

In the latest report by WHO, Thailand ranks ninth among 175 nations in terms of road fatalities – down from second in the 2015 report. The 2018 report says road accidents killed 22,491 people in Thailand – putting the road traffic fatality rate at 32.7 per 100,000 people. 

This improves on the 2015 rate of 36.2 rate, or 24,237 recorded deaths. 

Road Safety Centre manager Dr Thanapong Jinvong believes the better ranking reflected public concern that led to actions that put Thailand on a good track towards the goal of curbing road accidents. 

“People recognise that road accidents pose big problems and demand urgent solutions from the government,” he said.

Dr Wittaya Chartbunchachai heads the centre for trauma and critical care, a collaboration between the WHO and Khon Kaen University. 

Though noting the improved ranking, he says the country needs to take notice of Thailand’s third place in world rankings when only motorcycle-related deaths are counted. 

“And if we remove countries with fewer than 500,000 residents, Thailand is No 1,” he said. The number of motorcycles in Thailand has surpassed 20 million.”

Kertesz wants to see the government, motorcycle manufacturers, road builders, law enforcers, research institutes, media and the civil sector join forces to address the problem of too many fatal road accidents. 

“The deaths of some 60 people a day is unacceptable,” he insisted. 

National Legislative Assembly vice president Surachai Liengboonlertchai expects “integrated efforts”, including campaigns for safe driving behaviour, to help significantly lower road accidents. 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30360862

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-12-21

59 minutes ago, stanleycoin said:

Should also start encouraging people to stop using crash helmets

As they are to smart to have an accident,

Crash helmets are just for stupid falangs who cant ride correctly and are pissed up all the time. 

yes I was stopped on my scooter yesterday ,and the day before, at check stops in Pattaya ...I counted 12 officers ....

Edited by mok199
  • Like 1

It may be disappointing that Thailand lost its top spot on this infamous global table.   But you must give them credit for effort.   They did manage to kill off even more each day than when they did hold the crown.

There is, however, even room for improvement as the motorcyclists were award 6 stars out of 10 for wearing crash-helmets.

2 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

Maybe they should consider raising the speed limit to solve these problems 

maybe  they  should  just  enforce and  teach  them,  speeding isnt  the  real  issue at all its  total  lack of  attention

36 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Nothing will ever change and we all know it, everybody knows where and when the police setup road blocks so people just avoid them, I think they should be out at night

police are  out  at  night regularly.............do you  ever  drive at  night? i  often  get  stopped  driving  bkk  to  hua  hin at 1-2-3 am

Considering that schools have been wasting their time teaching Mr Prayuths 12 commandments (and during this time thousands have died in road accidents) wouldn't it be better if the teachers concentrated on keeping their students alive. Its quite obvious that whats needed is a booklet, similar to The Highway Code in Britain, which explains simply and with diagrams where to position your vehicle and how to negotiate everyday situations. Every school should insist on all kids with m'bikes using helmets, no bike with more than 2 people and licensed riders only. Two hours every week given over to practical and theoretic lessons. Whats the point of school if its not going to teach useful lessons?

• Like 1

It would simple the test station idea that driving around a simple course then over a plank to prove they can handle a motorbike is not intense enough. The funny thing at Phetchabun's test centre is that those taking the test turn up drive the bike! next when leaving, they then travel down a steep ramp, to the dual carriageway at a junction with traffic lights, but, with no light to control them, so, to turn right they are offset and have to turn into right turning traffic on the wrong side, and decide when its safe to do so as they have no light to control their access. There should be a half day course showing and testing then of all situations including a wet road and obstructions and turning positions etc. Still, what do I know?

I hate the craziness of the Australian government making us travel to Bangkok every time we need the smallest thing done in Australia, I often have asked why can't we get a Thai official in the place we live in to stamp and sign, funny never get an answer so have to put life on the line for the simplest things, yes the traffic coming at you from all directions is a shocker that happens all over Thai. I always wanted to be a fighter pilot well I got my wish but I am not armed yet LOL

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1