Refused an extension for 55 satang ( Retirement )

On 12/22/2018 at 11:14 AM, ubonjoe said:

If your wife is Thai you could apply for an extension of stay based upon marriage which only requires 400k baht in the bank or income of 40k baht.

To be precise, there is no requirement that the wife must be Thai. It is sufficient that the wife has a valid visa/extension, whatever her nationality. Of course, his extension based on marriage would then be not longer than the wife's.

45 minutes ago, D3030 said:

If you had the required amount in a Thai bank, what does the exchange rate have to do with it?

Assuming the 800K or the 400K is supposed to be in a Thai bank?

The OP had a combination method application. The income portion of that if not sourced in baht constantly fluctuates.

i am going the "retirement" option ,too. And I never spend a minute of thought on the fact that having 850,000 in the bank will save me a lot of headaches. Be it the combination method or not, if you don't keep an eye onto the exchange rate since you seem to haggle along the required minimum amount, you are what Thais use to say  "som nam na"

Edited by crazygreg44

14 minutes ago, crazygreg44 said:

i am going the "retirement" option ,too. And I never spend a minute of thought on the fact that having 850,000 in the bank will save me a lot of headaches. Be it the combination method or not, if you don't keep an eye onto the exchange rate since you seem to haggle along the required minimum amount, you are what Thais use to say  "som nam na"

I started a thread about this some months back. If using the combination method, how to deal with the exchange rate risk. Keep in mind soon for a number of nationals income letters will not be obtainable AT ALL. 

12 hours ago, arithai12 said:

To be precise, there is no requirement that the wife must be Thai. It is sufficient that the wife has a valid visa/extension, whatever her nationality. Of course, his extension based on marriage would then be not longer than the wife's.

Those are two very different options.  Obtaining an extension based on a foreign-spouse who has a valid extension requires no financial proof and is fairly easy.  Obtaining an extension based on a Thai-wife requires the 400K in the bank or 40K/mo income, plus many other hurdles. 

It's a much easier process if one's spouse isn't Thai, as ironic as that is.

11 hours ago, Geordieabroad said:
On 12/22/2018 at 9:43 AM, DrJack54 said:

Might be a warning for UK folk with "no deal exit" coming soon. Pound won't be climbing any time soon. 

Exactly the opposite

Seems there would be less point in punishing Brits once the deal is over - but then again, they need to "Set An Example" to other countries that want their sovereignty back, so maybe further punishment is in order.  The money is all fake, anyway, so can be manipulated anywhere the banksters want it to go.

Maybe buy Swiss Francs as a hedge?

8 hours ago, trigpoint said:

That's why I don't stay in Thailand on a retirement visa, I don't want anything to do with with immigration offices, bunch of wknkers, especially jomtien, why didn't you get an agent to "fix" do it for you, plenty in Pattaya, or used to be, not sure now.

Sent from my vivo 1601 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Well they don't issue Visas but I have been getting an extension based on retirement from Jomtiem for the last decade and find them pretty easy to deal with. Every now and again one likes to mess with me and get some new requirement  or copy, but on the whole a very reasonable service. I don't like the silliness, confusion and crowding of having to queue to get a ticket and the people there could sometimes do with something to calm them. 

I have an aversion to dealing with unnecessary and expensive go-betweens. I accept in the future, when the physical limitations kick, in I might have to use them.

Edited by jacko45k

My wife is Thai.

We went to our local office today and again was refused the extension because of this money / income.

So we said lets have a marriage visa, I had all the documents, the photos and a witness waiting outside.

They said come back ( me and my wife, no witness necessary ) a few days before my current extension expires, i.e. 24 / 25th January 2019.

No problem, if they wanna dot the i's and cross the t's then fck em.

They did say however that next year I should make sure I have the 400K in the bank as I won't be able to have a letter supporting my income.

A word of warning :-   I suspect irrespective of any announcement immigration may or may not make, that the money in the bank will go up by 25%.

500,000 for marriage, 1,000,000 for retirement.

Nice round numbers huh ?

Probably appropiate given that most shopkeepers need a calculator for change from a 100 baht note for a 20 baht sale.

Edited by OneeyedJohn
piss takin

4 hours ago, OneeyedJohn said:

My wife is Thai.

We went to our local office today and again was refused the extension because of this money / income.

So we said lets have a marriage visa, I had all the documents, the photos and a witness waiting outside.

They said come back ( me and my wife, no witness necessary ) a few days before my current extension expires, i.e. 24 / 25th January 2019.

Why would they want you to wait until the last few days?  Be aware that by coming in then, they know you will be almost out of time, and vulnerable.  Oh well, you always have a ME-Non-O Visa based on marriage to get in Laos as backup. 

Not surprised they are acting like there will be no new income-method - but hopefully that will be sorted by a new police order - purportedly a "draft" approved by the head of immigration, as related by the American Embassy consul.

5 hours ago, OneeyedJohn said:

My wife is Thai.

They did say however that next year I should make sure I have the 400K in the bank as I won't be able to have a letter supporting my income.

A word of warning :-   I suspect irrespective of any announcement immigration may or may not make, that the money in the bank will go up by 25%.

Nice round numbers huh ?

Probably appropiate given that most shopkeepers need a calculator for change from a 100 baht note for a 20 baht sale.

Thinking that is rubbish...but hey I hope they make it 1million baht seasoned in bank for 12 months. Why not stop stuffing about. 

• Haha 1

On 12/25/2018 at 2:08 AM, Bigstef said:

Well not too much but, usaually i put the rest of my money before going back in my born country,in a retire fund in Kbank about 15k bahts per year and this year i had a 9% percent interest years before the interest range between 2 to 7%.... 

Kbank has a 9% interest account?

How does the retire fund work?

20 Dec. 2018 U S Embassy gave out 400 income letters. ( letters good for 6 mons don't count on it) Jomtien is a Mad house, packed hundreds of people. closed for retirement visa at 2.00 P M...No fine for misplaced passport pick-up DISK...Ha need  fill out 3 forums and never forget your glasses

13 hours ago, OneeyedJohn said:

I suspect irrespective of any announcement immigration may or may not make, that the money in the bank will go up by 25%.

Unless there is an 'announcement' changing the current rules where 400k and 800k are defined this cannot happen. Why do you suspect it would, irrespectively.

Edited by jacko45k

Just a feeling, that's all.

As for the guy who said earlier why wait until the 24/25th and be vulnerable, just some 4 days before my extension expires, it was the immigration woman who went to great lengths to explain to my wife they were closed over the New Year, would be very busy after that , and would have to arrange a home visit. So her recommendation was to come on those dates and that granting the extension to support Thai wife would not be a problem.

I have two copies of everything.

• Like 1

On 12/22/2018 at 11:56 AM, KhunBENQ said:

Yesterday 21 Dec, 41.45?

That is a surprisingly high rate.

Both currency market a and Bangkok Bank TT rate were lower.

So normally one could consider himself "happy" about this rate.

Your number of 42.365 is unreal since about a month (compared to currency market and even worse for TT or cash rates).

You're not using the correct figures.. Ppl are using the XE rate this is not what a bank gives you.. A bank usually takes anything from .350 off that rate so you be lucky to get 41 the last few months..

• 1 month later...

So on my 6th visit to the immigrating offices last Thursday I eventually get what I went for,  a retirement visa.

I feel a bit like like Oliver asking for more.

I had all the documents times 2 for a marriage visa and my wife accompanied me, and my whispering to her about getting a retirement visa after the new order from BJ must have been overheard, and a small group of immigration officers formed a huddle with their calculators and said come back on Monday for a retirement visa.

All I had to do was get a letter and photocopy of passbook from the bank.

Everything else they did for me, photocopied relevant pages from passbook, put all the paperwork in order, made me sign everything in blue ink.

They could not have been more helpful. 

WooHoo.IMG-20190130-161325.jpgIMG-20190130-161339.jpg

This is a photo of the red card they gave me with the requirements for a marriage visa / extension.

U must not sign anything before u go to immigration and when u do it must be in blue ink.

I tried to ask about how things would be next time around and couldn't get a sensible answer.

I'll just take it as it comes.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, OneeyedJohn said:

So on my 6th visit to the immigrating offices last Thursday I eventually get what I went for,  a retirement visa.

I feel a bit like like Oliver asking for more.

I had all the documents times 2 for a marriage visa and my wife accompanied me, and my whispering to her about getting a retirement visa after the new order from BJ must have been overheard, and a small group of immigration officers formed a huddle with their calculators and said come back on Monday for a retirement visa.

All I had to do was get a letter and photocopy of passbook from the bank.

Everything else they did for me, photocopied relevant pages from passbook, put all the paperwork in order, made me sign everything in blue ink.

They could not have been more helpful. 

WooHoo.IMG-20190130-161325.jpgIMG-20190130-161339.jpg

This is a photo of the red card they gave me with the requirements for a marriage visa / extension.

U must not sign anything before u go to immigration and when u do it must be in blue ink.

I tried to ask about how things would be next time around and couldn't get a sensible answer.

I'll just take it as it comes.

Congratulations, cobber.