Queen Elizabeth extols goodwill and respect in Christmas message

webfact

Queen Elizabeth extols goodwill and respect in Christmas message

2018-12-24T025809Z_1_LYNXNPEEBN032_RTROPTP_4_BRITAIN-ROYALS-QUEEN.JPG

Britain's Queen Elizabeth poses, after recording her annual Christmas Day message in the White Drawing Room of Buckingham Palace, in central London, Britain, in this undated pool picture released on December 24, 2018. REUTERS/John Stillwell/Pool

LONDON (Reuters) - Britain's Queen Elizabeth will say in her Christmas message that the festival's message of peace and goodwill needs to be heeded as much as ever, and people should respect each other even when they habour the most deeply held differences.

According to excerpts released by Buckingham Palace on Monday, the 92-year-old monarch will also speak of family and friendship following a year in which her grandson Prince Harry married U.S.-born actress Meghan Markle.

Throughout her record 66 years on the throne, the queen has avoided commenting in public on contentious international affairs or party political issues, and the excerpts make no mention of the visit in July by U.S. President Donald Trump or the turmoil over Britain's departure from the European Union.

But speaking about the birth of Jesus, she will say: "I believe his message of peace on earth and goodwill to all is never out of date. It can be heeded by everyone; it's needed as much as ever."

"Even with the most deeply held differences, treating the other person with respect and as a fellow human being is always a good step towards greater understanding."

Before leaving Britain for a summit with Russian President Vladimir Putin, Trump breached British royal protocol by publicly disclosing the details of a conversation he had with the queen about the complexities of Brexit, an issue that has divided the nation.

Trump's trip to Britain was marked by public protests and downgraded from a full state visit that Prime Minister Theresa May had originally proposed.

However, he took tea with the queen at Windsor Castle. Trump later described the monarch, who has met 12 U.S. presidents, as an "incredible woman", who was both "sharp" and "beautiful".

She has shown little sign of slowing down in the last year, during which Harry and Meghan's wedding marked another royal step towards modernity, with a ceremony that blended ancient English ritual with African American culture.

"Through the many changes I have seen over the years, faith, family and friendship have been not only a constant for me but a source of personal comfort and reassurance," she will say,

Another grandchild, Princess Eugenie, also married this year and the queen's sixth and seventh great grandchildren were born, while she made her debut appearance on the front row of a fashion show.

She also led British and Commonwealth tributes to the soldiers of the World War One on the centenary of the signing of the Armistice that ended it in 1918.

The queen wore a cocktail dress in ivory silk with pastel blue, white and gold lame overlay designed by Angela Kelly for the broadcast, which was recorded in the White Drawing Room at Buckingham Palace.

She is spending Christmas as usual at her Sandringham Estate in Norfolk, eastern England, where she will be joined by other members of the Royal family.

(Reporting by Paul Sandle; editing by David Stamp)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-12-24

Lol.... much better than the anus horrible speech of years past.

obviously it will come to pass, but it’s hard to imagine a more regal and respected representative of the commonwealth, so hopefully she will be around for a few more years, setting an example for all

11 hours ago, webfact said:

Before leaving Britain for a summit with Russian President Vladimir Putin, Trump breached British royal protocol by publicly disclosing the details of a conversation he had with the queen about the complexities of Brexit, an issue that has divided the nation

Is he not the complete Pillock .? A Grade A , Class 1 Buffoon  .. There are some things that you just don't do or say during and after an audience with Her Maj' .. You would be hard pressed to find a more dedicated Monarch in the history of Great Britain than 'Liz II .. And as the Queen Mother lived past a 100 let's hope Q E I I is around for a goodly amount of time yet .. 

10 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

Is he not the complete Pillock .? A Grade A , Class 1 Buffoon  .. There are some things that you just don't do or say during and after an audience with Her Maj' .. You would be hard pressed to find a more dedicated Monarch in the history of Great Britain than 'Liz II .. And as the Queen Mother lived past a 100 let's hope Q E I I is around for a goodly amount of time yet .. 

Q E 1, perhaps?

6 hours ago, farcanell said:

Q E 1, perhaps?

I don't think so, wasn't the first Queen Elizabeth Raleigh( Sir Walter Raleigh, not the bicycle maker), Francis Drake duffing up assorted Spaniards and Blackadder?

39 minutes ago, JAG said:

I don't think so, wasn't the first Queen Elizabeth Raleigh( Sir Walter Raleigh, not the bicycle maker), Francis Drake duffing up assorted Spaniards and Blackadder?

Lol... all unsubstantiated rumors, but perhaps Dudley, at least, was diddling her.

As a monarch, she was the first to hold true to her pledge (maybe even the first to pledge) to govern by good council... and in doing this, she arguably laid the foundations for parliamentary rule as we know it, because previous monarchs insisted on ruling by divine right.... no other monarch since, has had the powers exercised by the Tudor dynasty,  (the first Bess being the last Tudor) or its Plantagenet and Norman predecessors... she changed the historical tyranny of the crown to a benign actor.

Drakes defeat of the Spanish Armada, vs any conquest of her panties, is hailed as one of Britain’s most significant military victories.... and whilst he may have been knighted by her, I think it was probably during the day.

so... a great and enlightened monarch in the early English renaissance period, who sponsored such notables as Shakespeare.... without Elizabeth, history would be different, ergo modern monarchies would be different as well.... but thats just my opinion.

8 minutes ago, farcanell said:

Lol... all unsubstantiated rumors, but perhaps Dudley, at least, was diddling her.

As a monarch, she was the first to hold true to her pledge (maybe even the first to pledge) to govern by good council... and in doing this, she arguably laid the foundations for parliamentary rule as we know it, because previous monarchs insisted on ruling by divine right.... no other monarch since, has had the powers exercised by the Tudor dynasty,  (the first Bess being the last Tudor) or its Plantagenet and Norman predecessors... she changed the historical tyranny of the crown to a benign actor.

Drakes defeat of the Spanish Armada, vs any conquest of her panties, is hailed as one of Britain’s most significant military victories.... and whilst he may have been knighted by her, I think it was probably during the day.

so... a great and enlightened monarch in the early English renaissance period, who sponsored such notables as Shakespeare.... without Elizabeth, history would be different, ergo modern monarchies would be different as well.... but thats just my opinion.

I really liked it when the current queen took away Diana's royal title after the divorce.  No sentiment in her old bones.  Divorce my son you're history and don't let the door hit you on the way out. 

1 hour ago, marcusarelus said:

I really liked it when the current queen took away Diana's royal title after the divorce.  No sentiment in her old bones.  Divorce my son you're history and don't let the door hit you on the way out. 

Lol.... the queen is a lovely lady who was happy for Dianne to keep her royal styling... however, her (lady Di) estranged hubby, Charles, was vehement that the title be removed, and rightly so, as it was honorific, and rightfully belongs to the princes wife.... not his ex.

i wouldn’t cross the street to pee on my ex, if she was on fire.... so I don’t blame Charles at all.

1 hour ago, marcusarelus said:

She only lost 'HRH'. I suspect William will silently correct that at the first available opportunity.

34 minutes ago, evadgib said:

She only lost 'HRH'. I suspect William will silently correct that at the first available opportunity.

Lol.... he was noted as saying “don’t worry mommy, I’ll give you back your title when I’m king”

but, that won’t happen now ( and anyway... it would belong to his son, by right) .... and I think she lost her other honorific titles (countess this or that), which came with her marriage, retaining the styling “lady”, by right of birth, not marriage.

On ‎12‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 3:14 PM, jobsworth said:

i watched her coronation procession in hyde park london.

It was the very first broadcast I ever watched on TV. About 20 of us, all crammed into the lounge of the only house on the street that had a TV set.

On 12/24/2018 at 4:57 PM, bizboi said:

I am both pleasantly surprised and pleased to find only respectful messages in reply to this article merry Christmas Your majesty and well done TV posters!! 

How could ANYONE possibly have anything disrespectful to say about the Queen? Every one of my fellow Americans loves this woman. I can never remember a time when she wasn't around for these Christmas messages.

On 12/24/2018 at 11:14 PM, Scott said:

There's something special about her Christmas messages over the year.   It's a moment of civility and calm in a sometimes tempestuous world.  

While her kingdom turns to rack and ruin. Suspend me if you wish, but I find nothing to celebrate whatsoever about the kakistocracy that is the UK. But then even the UK looks to be torn asunder, given Austerity and Brexit. Her speech is written for her and is worth nothing. 

25 minutes ago, baboon said:

While her country turns to rack and ruin. Suspend me if you wish, but I find nothing to celebrate whatsoever about the kakistocracy that is the UK. But then even the UK looks to be torn asunder, given Austerity and Brexit. Her speech is written for her and is worth nothing. 

When the day dawns on a new age, they should all be allowed to pick their wall.

On 12/25/2018 at 9:40 PM, baboon said:

I find nothing to celebrate whatsoever about the kakistocracy that is the UK.

Thank you for introducing me to a new word - for so long I have been grasping for something succinct and suitably accurate, and it was there all along!

A kakistocracy (/ˌkækɪsˈtɒkrəsi, -ˈstɒk-/) is a system of government which is run by the worst, least qualified, or most unscrupulous citizens. The word was coined as early as the seventeenth century.

On 12/24/2018 at 11:14 PM, Scott said:

There's something special about her Christmas messages over the year.   It's a moment of civility and calm in a sometimes tempestuous world.  

Nice to see her with her keyboard behind her and her Rothschild's Mont Blanc at the ready! A roaring fire and a sherry the only things missing.

Archived