Jump to content

Canada - not for me either


Recommended Posts

Merry Christmas and happy holidays folks.

 

I have been back to Thailand for almost one month. First month in Canada was great. Nice and sunny, beautiful women, great food. 

 

Then it got cold.

 

And then....it started getting colder.

 

I had enough, found some newly landed permanent resident to rent my place out and I was outtathere before you could say somtam.

 

I see no future in Canada and I see no future in Thailand. 

 

Maybe I will try Philippines until it gets boring too.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If thinking of Philippines highly recommend you view this vlog'ers videos from the past 5 years - they are excellent quality and provide a good view of both city and rural life from another Canadian (who just happened to be returning to Canada last night).  As he has been producing video almost every day can understand he needs a break.  But find his video to be very high quality and well worth the view.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, pgrahmm said:

2 down - about 200 to go....

 

It's supposed to be nice in Uganda at this time of year....

 

Bonus round -

They speak english there....

Uganda?Hmmm...

 

"Ah Uganda, where the wind comes sweeping down the plain

an' the wavin' wheat sure smells sweet

when the wind comes right behind the rain..

 

Ah Uganda..."

Link to post
Share on other sites

You are right about Canada getting cold. But the west coast is quite livable. Vancouver Island around Victoria has a temperate climate. I lived there for years, great weather,little rain many years no snow,but never hot always temperate. You should have tried it there first before leaving.

   It was  warm enough to sail all year,ride bikes etc.

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, lovelomsak said:

You are right about Canada getting cold. But the west coast is quite livable. Vancouver Island around Victoria has a temperate climate. I lived there for years, great weather,little rain many years no snow,but never hot always temperate. You should have tried it there first before leaving.

   It was  warm enough to sail all year,ride bikes etc.

 

I don't have a minimum of 600,000 for a 1 bedroom condo.

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

 

I don't have a minimum of 600,000 for a 1 bedroom condo.

Have you considered working? Or perhaps doing something innovative or valuable, like the millions of other people who live in big cities with expensive housing? Yes, housing is expensive in some Canadian cities, but it is all relative. Vancouver and its region is located in a much sought after beautiful locale. It also offers a high quality of life, potable water, fantastic cultural options in respect to food and the arts, a lovely climate, excellent public transit, access to state of the art medical care and many other benefits. All of this comes at a cost. 

If you wish to live in the poverty of the Philippines where life is cheap, disease rampant, and humans exploited, that's your personal choice. Boo hoo about the "cold". 8C isn't cold. It makes for a nice change that helps control insect pests so that the region isn't over run with dengue and malaria like SE Asia. There are wonderful things called jumpers, jackets, bloomers,  etc. that can help..

 

Canada's not for you. Okay then, but you are lucky enough to have Canadian citizenship, cold weather and all. And it is that cold weather that has helped Canadians  attain their  longevity and health quality. Believe it or not, the climate plays a significant role in why some countries are more advanced than others: It helps  control disease and facilitates productivity. It's much easier to work in a Vancouver climate than the scorching sun of Mombassa. There are no cholera scares and rampant disease as one sees in Kinshasa or Mumbai, because the colder temperature is not conducive to many infectious diseases.  

 

As you wish to  inform everyone that Canada is not for you, I offer that the country isn't the real issue. You will never  be happy until you sort out why you cannot be happy wherever you are.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

As you wish to  inform everyone that Canada is not for you, I offer that the country isn't the real issue. You will never  be happy until you sort out why you cannot be happy wherever you are.

 

Geriatrikid has given all encompassing, quality advice.

As a Canadian myself though, I too despise the almost 6 months of cold weather.

The tropical climate was my first attraction to Thailand, and then along came that special woman.

Thailand is the place for me.

Link to post
Share on other sites

at first I thought it was someone that made a profile with a similar name to make fun of you.

 

I'm a Canadian too, I've been to the Philippines after a lot of apparently not well done research ended up in Cebu City had plans to stay for 2 months but..

ok, the Ayala Mall was nice, the women looked good.. they spoke good English (that is a major plus, if that is what you are looking for)

 

Cebu City eww, main part of the city is about 6km wide, I lived practically in the middle of it.. could walk on either end within 30 minutes.. asked local how to get to major mall, no one had idea because they always took the Jeepneys

Jeepneys everywhere, first time in my life when I blew my nose it was grey in color

people trying to sell me maps, cialis, cheap sunglasses every corner.

beggars kids trying to stop me everywhere, they were in bad shape.. trying snatch stuff off me and grabbing at bags.

polluted rivers, never smelled that crap in my life. had to run over certain bridges..

shitty dogs around, not very aggressive but pooping everywhere and ground was dirty all over the place.

 

it was my first time abroad out of Canada and it made me thing "what did i do? <deleted> am I doing here?" and thinking thailand would be the same..

I was told to not take my phone out in public because it would be snatched.. even if it was like a 100$ piece of crap.

food was not great. oily stuff and junk food everywhere.

wouldn't want to buy a motorbike there just to be stuck on one island.. power outages all the time, internet was rubbish.

stuck using airplanes to go anywhere

 

I very well know that there are some absolutely beautiful beaches in the Philippines and pristine locations.. but I didn't even want to see any of them just because from my research everyone was saying Cebu was the best bet out of 3-4 other main hubs..

I had to cut my 60 days visit down at 21 days as a self birthday gift

 

then I get to Thailand, absolutely nothing like the Phils.. the food is fantastic, internet is stable, weather is great. power stays on.

in fact I have traveled a lot in Thailand in the last 5 years and never saw a city as run down as Cebu city

 

however the big difference here is that the women don't speak anywhere near as good English as the girls in the Phils.

even the well educated ones that I have met here in Thailand you can't joke around with them, jokes go over their head.. they don't understand idioms or play on words. (but act like they do)

 

someone once told me, "the best thing you can do is to bring a Filipino girl with you to Thailand"

 

there might be some truth to that.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually believe above view of Cebu/Philippines to be a bit more negative than it is.  Yes Philippines is not Thailand but it is much like Thailand was in years past.  That you can not move from island to island with a MC is false - the ferry system connects everywhere.  But being first port of call from Canada can understand the feelings - expect they would be less on a visit now.   For a good overview of current street walking recommend watching a few videos from Chris in Cebu as he walk streets live several times a week.  And indeed it is not a walk friendly city - but then most places in Thailand were less than ideal in the past.  I lived in the PI for about 4 years more than 30 years ago and did not find it that unpleasant - but I had lived in Bangladesh/Laos/Thailand/Guinea/Nigeria/Japan/Germany/India prior.  It is not for everyone - but those liking beach or English speakers it has pluses.  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Actually believe above view of Cebu/Philippines to be a bit more negative than it is.  Yes Philippines is not Thailand but it is much like Thailand was in years past.  That you can not move from island to island with a MC is false - the ferry system connects everywhere.  But being first port of call from Canada can understand the feelings - expect they would be less on a visit now.   For a good overview of current street walking recommend watching a few videos from Chris in Cebu as he walk streets live several times a week.  And indeed it is not a walk friendly city - but then most places in Thailand were less than ideal in the past.  I lived in the PI for about 4 years more than 30 years ago and did not find it that unpleasant - but I had lived in Bangladesh/Laos/Thailand/Guinea/Nigeria/Japan/Germany/India prior.  It is not for everyone - but those liking beach or English speakers it has pluses.  

 

honestly, if i wanted to defend the place I would have chosen that place too as that is the least offensive side of osmena circle, during the day AND during a holiday (three plus)

of course that dude will only show the nice part of it.. will he "insult" the country by showing the hawkers trying to sell you maps and cialis? he'd probably get deported for that (can't be "rude" anymore, I guess according to that other link earlier)

 

it's another story when you get out of the more developed part of town and late evenings

 

regarding the video: I had a look at all his videos thumbnails since he looked familiar and he only seems to walk around the same main areas all the time..

in the video linked below is the smelly Guadalupe River which i had to run over every time I walked by.

 

go down Vincente Rama after 8pm and walk through North Bacalso (which are main streets) or up around Punta Princesa other smaller streets around night, trust me


here is the proof from his mouth.
this part is literally like a 5 minutes walk from Osmena circle in the video you linked.
 

 

30 years ago much different mate

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I presented his video as current.  He walks in the area he lives for the most part.  And he freely says what is what.  It is live with no editing.  I understand it is not for everyone and surly not as developed as Thailand - but it is livable for many people.  And being able to communicate better and listen to music that sounds good can make up for many of the negatives.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, kekalot said:

at first I thought it was someone that made a profile with a similar name to make fun of you.

 

I'm a Canadian too, I've been to the Philippines after a lot of apparently not well done research ended up in Cebu City had plans to stay for 2 months but..

ok, the Ayala Mall was nice, the women looked good.. they spoke good English (that is a major plus, if that is what you are looking for)

 

Cebu City eww, main part of the city is about 6km wide, I lived practically in the middle of it.. could walk on either end within 30 minutes.. asked local how to get to major mall, no one had idea because they always took the Jeepneys

Jeepneys everywhere, first time in my life when I blew my nose it was grey in color

people trying to sell me maps, cialis, cheap sunglasses every corner.

beggars kids trying to stop me everywhere, they were in bad shape.. trying snatch stuff off me and grabbing at bags.

polluted rivers, never smelled that crap in my life. had to run over certain bridges..

shitty dogs around, not very aggressive but pooping everywhere and ground was dirty all over the place.

 

it was my first time abroad out of Canada and it made me thing "what did i do? <deleted> am I doing here?" and thinking thailand would be the same..

I was told to not take my phone out in public because it would be snatched.. even if it was like a 100$ piece of crap.

food was not great. oily stuff and junk food everywhere.

wouldn't want to buy a motorbike there just to be stuck on one island.. power outages all the time, internet was rubbish.

stuck using airplanes to go anywhere

 

I very well know that there are some absolutely beautiful beaches in the Philippines and pristine locations.. but I didn't even want to see any of them just because from my research everyone was saying Cebu was the best bet out of 3-4 other main hubs..

I had to cut my 60 days visit down at 21 days as a self birthday gift

 

then I get to Thailand, absolutely nothing like the Phils.. the food is fantastic, internet is stable, weather is great. power stays on.

in fact I have traveled a lot in Thailand in the last 5 years and never saw a city as run down as Cebu city

 

however the big difference here is that the women don't speak anywhere near as good English as the girls in the Phils.

even the well educated ones that I have met here in Thailand you can't joke around with them, jokes go over their head.. they don't understand idioms or play on words. (but act like they do)

 

someone once told me, "the best thing you can do is to bring a Filipino girl with you to Thailand"

 

there might be some truth to that.

 

And flippers have bigger jugs

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, sharktooth said:

And flippers have bigger jugs

 

2 hours ago, amexpat said:

Please learn how to post your five word comment without reposting a full page for us to scroll through.

Thanks.

Why?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting. I have never been to Philippines and my desire to do so is zero. My impression of Ph has always been as stated here in the negative review, not the flowery one. It sounds quite similar to Indonesia where I have travelled extensively.

For me, Thailand is a gem, comparatively speaking of course.

Link to post
Share on other sites

So, you are saying that my initial nickname of 'guy from another planet' was perceptive? Right on target. 

 

Maybe you should try somewhere else in Thailand... sort of like you found your way to Baskin Robbins but have not yet found the right flavor?

 

Maybe Chiang Rai or Nan Province. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

On ‎12‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 3:12 AM, kekalot said:

at first I thought it was someone that made a profile with a similar name to make fun of you.

 

I'm a Canadian too, I've been to the Philippines after a lot of apparently not well done research ended up in Cebu City had plans to stay for 2 months but..

ok, the Ayala Mall was nice, the women looked good.. they spoke good English (that is a major plus, if that is what you are looking for)

 

Cebu City eww, main part of the city is about 6km wide, I lived practically in the middle of it.. could walk on either end within 30 minutes.. asked local how to get to major mall, no one had idea because they always took the Jeepneys

Jeepneys everywhere, first time in my life when I blew my nose it was grey in color

people trying to sell me maps, cialis, cheap sunglasses every corner.

beggars kids trying to stop me everywhere, they were in bad shape.. trying snatch stuff off me and grabbing at bags.

polluted rivers, never smelled that crap in my life. had to run over certain bridges..

shitty dogs around, not very aggressive but pooping everywhere and ground was dirty all over the place.

 

it was my first time abroad out of Canada and it made me thing "what did i do? <deleted> am I doing here?" and thinking thailand would be the same..

I was told to not take my phone out in public because it would be snatched.. even if it was like a 100$ piece of crap.

food was not great. oily stuff and junk food everywhere.

wouldn't want to buy a motorbike there just to be stuck on one island.. power outages all the time, internet was rubbish.

stuck using airplanes to go anywhere

 

I very well know that there are some absolutely beautiful beaches in the Philippines and pristine locations.. but I didn't even want to see any of them just because from my research everyone was saying Cebu was the best bet out of 3-4 other main hubs..

I had to cut my 60 days visit down at 21 days as a self birthday gift

 

then I get to Thailand, absolutely nothing like the Phils.. the food is fantastic, internet is stable, weather is great. power stays on.

in fact I have traveled a lot in Thailand in the last 5 years and never saw a city as run down as Cebu city

 

however the big difference here is that the women don't speak anywhere near as good English as the girls in the Phils.

even the well educated ones that I have met here in Thailand you can't joke around with them, jokes go over their head.. they don't understand idioms or play on words. (but act like they do)

 

someone once told me, "the best thing you can do is to bring a Filipino girl with you to Thailand"

 

there might be some truth to that.

 

I live in Thailand at the moment, I am Canadian too,  but I have been a few times in he Philippines and Cebu.  Your description  of both places is similar to my experience. In   the past few years,  I have met two English expats that were living in Thailand with Philippines   girlfriends.   Their girlfriends were good company and they were also able to discuss and joke with other expats when meeting those couples.  Usually,  Thai ladies can not easily connect with  people other than their own.

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 12/25/2018 at 5:15 PM, theguyfromanotherforum said:

 

No

Then maybe you should stop complaining and do something.

 

the saying, "Idle hands encourages idle minds" is the same as saying bone idle and/or lazy!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...