New Chalong Circle traffic conditions for New Year traffic

webfact

New Chalong Circle traffic conditions for New Year traffic

By Kritsada Mueanhawong

S__383156227.jpg

PHOTO: The Phuket PR Office

The Phuket Highway Office has announced new traffic conditions for the Chalong Circle roadworks during New Year. In the announcement there is no date mentioned for the start of what they call “new year festival’ but most of the changes listed are already in force. The map (below) provided by the Phuket Highway Office is not very clear but provided as reference.

The Phuket PR Office is reporting that Deputy Director of the Phuket Highway Office Worawut Wittayapasook says, “There will be a lot of tourists during the New Year festival time. The new traffic flow at the Chalong circle will include…”

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/new-chalong-circle-traffic-conditions-for-new-year-traffic

thtthaiger.png
-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2018-12-26

24 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

"The map (below) provided by the Phuket Highway Office is not very clear but provided as reference."

As clear as mud ....

Yes, this brings no clarity at all.

As far as I can tell from the article nothing is changing. The only thing new may be a U-turn on Chao Fa West. They mention 2 U-turns at 800 meter from the circle, at the moment there is just one at about 800 meters from the circle. Another one is much closer but motorbikes only. "Drivers from Kata–Karon to Chalong Temple (Chao Fah East entrance) can make a U-turn at the first and second U-turns which are 800 metres from the Chalong Circle (only small vehicles). "

How can a driver on Chao Fa East heading to Kata reach Soi Suksan without going to Chao Fa West? "Drivers from Chao Fa West Road and Chao Fa East Road heading to Kata–Karon can turn right at Soi Suksan 1 (small vehicles only). "

This has not changed at all since they started construction: "Drivers heading from Chalong Temple to Rawai and from Rawai to Chalong Temple can continues straight ahead. "

All in all: no changes.

Edited by stevenl

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

<snip>

How can a driver on Chao Fa East heading to Kata reach Soi Suksan without going to Chao Fa West? "Drivers from Chao Fa West Road and Chao Fa East Road heading to Kata–Karon can turn right at Soi Suksan 1 (small vehicles only). "

I turned up Soi Suksan this morning. Large coach making u-turn. Can't fault  the driver's technique, but it took 3 bites to complete. Meantime blocking traffic from Rawai. Small vehicles only my @@@. But what are coaches supposed to do ?

2 hours ago, ChipButty said:

I drove to Central yesterday at 5pm from Rawai it was fine but the traffic coming from Chalong temple went back for miles it had cleared by the time I came back to Rawai about 8-30 pm

It was the same on Monday at that time. The police don't help, letting one lane through at a time. I actually cut acroos to Chaofa East, hoping it would be better, but it wasn't.

New traffic conditions for New Year Maybe, but probaby the worst traffic jams I;ve known since the start of construction.

Today Chaofa West, when I went out, had traffic backing up well past Big Buddha turn-off.
Chaofa East, coming back, 400m or so before Wine Connection.
Wiset Road looked terrible but I took the Kata turn-off, so don't know how far back it went. The police were doing their usual job; why do they wave people on when there's only one way to go anyway?

Also, whatever happened to the Circle reopening in November?

Anyone optimistic about the underpass opening in April?

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, madmitch said:

<snip>

Also, whatever happened to the Circle reopening in November?

Anyone optimistic about the underpass opening in April?

I suppose it partially reopened in December 2018 allowing north bound traffic flow onto Chao Fha East.

I think good chance tunnel open for April 2019. Songkran

The other day at 5pm I took a right turn out of PTT, on Chao Fa West, to head towards the Hayek. Traffic was backed up even further than the petrol station but could not see where it ended. Even in the heyday West was never backed up that far. There did not appear to be an accident so likely caused by manual traffic control combined with the ridiculous U turns.