90 days max in 6 months + 30 days non-visa?

I don't understand and appreciate any advice.

I see this: "American citizens who wish to remain in Thailand for longer than 90 days during any six-month period will be required to obtain a valid Thai visa from a Thai Embassy or Consulate that is authorized to issue visas."

Already used a 60 day TV and extended 30 days Sept-Nov.

3 months total in the Kingdom.

Flew out and hope to return end of January. 

Planned to return with a TV but circumstances would be easier to arrive with no visa and get the visa-free 30 days.

But are we even eligible for the 30 days on arrival after already spending 3 months in a 6 month period?

That would be 4 months in the Kingdom within a 6 month period.

Holding a USA passport and flying into CM.

We are confused and would love some clarity!

You shouldn’t any problem with a visa exempt entry in January.

20 minutes ago, YogaVeg said:

I see this: "American citizens who wish to remain in Thailand for longer than 90 days during any six-month period will be required to obtain a valid Thai visa from a Thai Embassy or Consulate that is authorized to issue visas."

There is no such rule in force.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BritTim said:

You can find all kinds of rules cited on different websites, in particular on the websites of Thai consulates, that are outdated or just plain wrong.

I do believe I clipped it from a Thai consulate. Didn't see it anywhere else.

Thanks folks, that will save us a long very inconvenient trip to the closest (far away) embassy. ????

1 hour ago, YogaVeg said:

I do believe I clipped it from a Thai consulate. Didn't see it anywhere else.

Thanks folks, that will save us a long very inconvenient trip to the closest (far away) embassy. ????

Mail your tourist visa application. There are many Honorary Thai Consulates as well as Official Thai in the USA. Quick service too. 

33 minutes ago, travelerjim said:

Mail your tourist visa application. There are many Honorary Thai Consulates as well as Official Thai in the USA. Quick service too. 

Only the 3 official consulates and the embassy in Washington DC accept mailed in applications. The honorary consulates are not allowed to accept them.

8 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Only the 3 official consulates and the embassy in Washington DC accept mailed in applications. The honorary consulates are not allowed to accept them.

I know that the Consulate in Miami will not accept mail in applications but if done in person, they will mail it back.

11 hours ago, YogaVeg said:

Doesn't that require also mailing in your passport?

I'm not comfortable with that. Too concerned it would get lost. Or arrive late...

Yes, you must mail your  passport to the consulate or embassy.

That is why I decided to forego the visa application and just arrive with an onward ticket and hope to get a V.O.A. or 30-day exempt.

15 hours ago, YogaVeg said:

Doesn't that require also mailing in your passport?

I'm not comfortable with that. Too concerned it would get lost. Or arrive late...

I am also quite paranoid over letting my passport out of my hands. If within a couple of hours of a consulate, I would almost certainly prefer to apply for the visa in person. That said, if you use a courier company or just registered mail, and allow plenty of time for your application, there is little risk in practice.

On 12/29/2018 at 3:28 PM, YogaVeg said:

I see this: "American citizens who wish to remain in Thailand for longer than 90 days during any six-month period will be required to obtain a valid Thai visa from a Thai Embassy or Consulate that is authorized to issue visas.

Where do you see this? I don't think there is any rule like that. 

On 12/29/2018 at 3:28 PM, YogaVeg said:

But are we even eligible for the 30 days on arrival after already spending 3 months in a 6 month period?

That would be 4 months in the Kingdom within a 6 month period.

If your maximum stay is 60-day, it is better visa exempt entry (30-day) and extension for a 30-day. If more than 60-days, it is better to get a SETV and extend it for another 30-day. 

23 hours ago, onera1961 said:

Where do you see this? I don't think there is any rule like that. 

There was an old-rule (now gone) which applied only to Visa-Exempt entries.  That's why that source said to use a Tourist Visa - because there was never any restriction in law, rule or authorized-practice regarding "time in country" for those entering with Tourist Visas. 

They should to update that language - but also need to warn about the points-of-entry which enforce arbitrary and unpublished "too long in country" rules - regardless of Visa or Exempt - so travelers can be sure to enter at entry-points which follow actual written/published Thai laws and rules.