Mass shooting HORROR in Thailand as man GUNS DOWN 7 people

webfact

On 1/1/2019 at 7:11 AM, TSF said:

So many these Thai males have zero control, make em angry and its a murderous rage. All you can do is warn people...don't go to Thailand, if you do give the males a wide berth, don't try to interact with them. Don't ever ever try to be funny and crack a joke...that's like playing with a hand grenade.

Sadly a very good piece of advice for newbies. I am sure there are some really good guys out there but the risk is too high to take a chance as this post suggests. Apply this rule and it will go a long way to keeping you safer. If you are gay, that may be a bit easier said than done although I don’t recall anyone ever complaining in those circles so perhaps it does not apply?

5 hours ago, wilcopops said:

Only in Thailand? NO! - In any country without serious gun control.

..and as for the police statement as to motive - wouldn't it be better to wait for a coroner's report??

Coroner's report, yeah right. 

1 hour ago, sawadee1947 said:

That is a result when everybody can have a gun. 

(it's a message even to my American friends) 

I'm an American, I asked it before now I'll ask it again, Does France have strict gun laws, You should know where I'm going with this. It doesn't matter where you are in world. If someone wants a gun they can get one. Period. I grew up with them. My father taught me how to hunt from a very young age. Gun safety was paramount. Such as, there is no such thing as an unloaded gun. The fact of the matter is " The right to keep and bear arms " was not put in our consitution to protect hunting with a firearm, it was put in so an armed citizenry could protect itself or take back the country from a  tyrannical government. I've lived outside the US for 10 years, Thailand being my home base, I've never felt the need to have gun in Thailand. Not yet anyway, I would like the question I asked answered please

Edited by Blue Water Sailor
No Change needed
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Dukeleto said:
On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 2:11 PM, TSF said:

So many these Thai males have zero control, make em angry and its a murderous rage. All you can do is warn people...don't go to Thailand, if you do give the males a wide berth, don't try to interact with them. Don't ever ever try to be funny and crack a joke...that's like playing with a hand grenade.

25 minutes ago, Benmart said:
22 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Would you make the same comment about Americans in the aftermath of one of their, far more frequent, mass shootings?

25 minutes ago, Benmart said:

I was waiting for the US to be brought up in this tragedy that has no connection. Check murder by firearms per capita around the world. It may educate you and perhaps help you to leave comparisons where they belong...in your head.

Read the thread a little more carefully. I was not making a numeric comparison at all. It's the 'tar brushing' of the whole population as a whole because of the action of a single person that I was commenting on.  

23 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Maybe there was no good reason for his not being welcomed?  Perhaps he was a perfectly good father and husband before this, maybe the in-laws weren't the nicest people in the world.  Doesn't justify the killings but there are always two sides to a story.

Some of your posts are JUST WEIRD !  Hence your avatar I suppose.  How can there be two sides to a story when one side murders all the others?    You say that his side of the story does not justify the killings, but then attempt to give the murderer a reason for them.  As it happens, one poster stated that the guy had just come out of prison, which, if true, might just suggest that he was perhaps not the "perfectly good father and husband" you felt he might have been.  I have met several people in my life, who were not "the nicest people in the world", but I never felt the urge to murder them and my own kids at the same time.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

As it happens, one poster stated that the guy had just come out of prison, which, if true, might just suggest that he was perhaps not the "perfectly good father and husband" you felt he might have been.

But women love murderers and drug dealers, and hardly ever want 'a perfectly good father and husband' in their bed.

Maybe it was her poor life choices that led to her sudden death.

Not that anyone deserves to be murdered for any reason, and certainly not children.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

21 hours ago, stanleycoin said:

Nope , But this one by you below,   could clinch it.

As dead people,   cant tell you the other side of the story

can they. 

No, your comment easily beats mine in the daft awards stakes...there were witnesses for the other side of the story!

• Haha 1

On 1/1/2019 at 1:57 PM, darksidedog said:

And for that killed his own children? And the rest of his wifes family? Ye Gods, that is just awful, and at a New Years celebration too, when good will to everyone is supposed to be the order of the day.. The only good news in the whole tragedy is that he killed himself too. Saves the state paying for this oxygen thiefs upkeep in jail for the next twenty years or so.

RIP the innocent victims here.

The family will carry the pain and trauma of this for generations to come. I cry for the family. I have experienced 2 murders in my lifetime. As to the "reason" for this, there's more to it than what appears. Now the following is my opinion without knowing the backstory, but based on similar patterns of behavior. These things are rarely simply something that was done coldly like a mob hit in retaliation for someone's transgression. Not a cold blooded attack by a psychopath. The man felt so wounded and overwhelmed by his sense of rejection that he was uncontrollably enraged and he attacked violently like a wounded animal. A "crime of passion" as it were. I'm not making excuses for what he did, nor am I sympathizing with a violent murderer. But one wonders, did he exhibit violent tendencies which were not recognized and dealt with prior to this such as physically abusing his wife or kids? These things do not happen in a vacuum without warning signs. Does Thai culture tend to turn a blind eye to issues of spousal abuse, or simply not recognize or understand those clues? Was there drunkenness involved and his reasoning thus impaired? Many such acts are those of an untreated alcoholic.  Was he mentally ill, untreated, with out of control anger issues? That he killed himself afterward suggests that he was overcome with anguish and despair which he could not live with thus ending his own life as well. Ordinary reason is no longer in control. I am relying on patterns of behavior that have been studied for many decades in the US, a leader in cases of mass shootings, and again I am speculating based on general human nature. Though the plague of such violence in the US is  fueled by an insane cultural lust for guns and a reluctance of politicians to risk loss of the rivers of gun lobby cash flowing into their pockets, increased scrutiny of potential attackers has resulted in a significant number of thwarted attacks. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

Some of your posts are JUST WEIRD !  Hence your avatar I suppose.  How can there be two sides to a story when one side murders all the others?    You say that his side of the story does not justify the killings, but then attempt to give the murderer a reason for them.  As it happens, one poster stated that the guy had just come out of prison, which, if true, might just suggest that he was perhaps not the "perfectly good father and husband" you felt he might have been.  I have met several people in my life, who were not "the nicest people in the world", but I never felt the urge to murder them and my own kids at the same time.

You really need to read the comment to which the quote of mine that you show was referring and then read my reply in context.  

Edited by Just Weird

Be careful before you "Thai Bash" too much.

This has happened all around the world even down at the "spit" on the Dunedin NZ harbour.

The crazies are everywhere. Sad but true.

Allowing free access to guns does not help 

My condolences to the families 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jonathan Swift said:

The family will carry the pain and trauma of this for generations to come. I cry for the family. I have experienced 2 murders in my lifetime. As to the "reason" for this, there's more to it than what appears. Now the following is my opinion without knowing the backstory, but based on similar patterns of behavior. These things are rarely simply something that was done coldly like a mob hit in retaliation for someone's transgression. Not a cold blooded attack by a psychopath. The man felt so wounded and overwhelmed by his sense of rejection that he was uncontrollably enraged and he attacked violently like a wounded animal. A "crime of passion" as it were. I'm not making excuses for what he did, nor am I sympathizing with a violent murderer. But one wonders, did he exhibit violent tendencies which were not recognized and dealt with prior to this such as physically abusing his wife or kids? These things do not happen in a vacuum without warning signs. Does Thai culture tend to turn a blind eye to issues of spousal abuse, or simply not recognize or understand those clues? Was there drunkenness involved and his reasoning thus impaired? Many such acts are those of an untreated alcoholic.  Was he mentally ill, untreated, with out of control anger issues? That he killed himself afterward suggests that he was overcome with anguish and despair which he could not live with thus ending his own life as well. Ordinary reason is no longer in control. I am relying on patterns of behavior that have been studied for many decades in the US, a leader in cases of mass shootings, and again I am speculating based on general human nature. Though the plague of such violence in the US is  fueled by an insane cultural lust for guns and a reluctance of politicians to risk loss of the rivers of gun lobby cash flowing into their pockets, increased scrutiny of potential attackers has resulted in a significant number of thwarted attacks. 

What? Warning signs! The guy was locked up for attempted murder

On 1/1/2019 at 2:01 PM, BritManToo said:

How do they know that?

He shot himself before they arrived.

Because, if you read what the survivor said, he said they didn't respect his son (the husband of the daughter of the family shot) and the perp had a history of drug convictions and violence, that's why he knew that! ????

9 minutes ago, Blue Water Sailor said:

What? Warning signs! The guy was locked up for attempted murder

But was he ever given any treatment for his violent behavior? Did anyone try to stop him having access to guns?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chang1 said:

But was he ever given any treatment for his violent behavior? Did anyone try to stop him having access to guns?

Treatment, in Thailand, come on, your not serious, I'll say it again, this time for last time, if you want a gun you can get one, anywhere. I don't care what laws you pass.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Blue Water Sailor said:

Treatment, in Thailand, come on, your not serious, I'll say it again, this time for last time, if you want a gun you can get one, anywhere. I don't care what laws you pass.

That is my point.

8 hours ago, Rugon said:

Some types are just so fast to slag off Thais. These are usually sexpats who  don't integrate into Thai society and are bitter old men.

I'm not a sexpat, not un-integrated into Thai society, and certainly not bitter.

But I do follow and read the news every day, and by doing so, get to observe a near daily litany of news reports with some variation of "jealous/drunk/drugged up Thai man kills his GF/wife/family/relations, etc etc."

Sorry, but I'm going to continue to "slag off" murderers no matter who or where they are. Thailand is literally drowning in domestic violence/murders, and ignoring or trying to downplay them only means more will be forthcoming.

And here's today's latest installment to add to the pile of misery:

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/1/2019 at 8:01 AM, BritManToo said:

How do they know that?

He shot himself before they arrived.

Since he didnt shoot all then it might be a real chance that the rest had an opinion - dont you think....:thumbsup:

1 hour ago, chang1 said:

I agree with your second point but this chart should be shown to every potential gun owner and on a massive screen whenever gun control is discussed in any country. Personally I think it should be tattooed on every NRA members forehead so they see it every day in the mirror and everyone else knows they don't give a f*** about those killed and injured by guns.

I was looking at some similar, but more recent, international stats earlier today because of all this.

Basically, the U.S. has by far the highest gun ownership per capita of any country -- amazingly, more guns than population, according to the stats. And it has one of the highest gun homicide rates among developed countries. But interesting, the U.S. overall all homicides average is actually a bit below the world average, because, there are a lot of countries out there with much higher rates -- Mexico, Philippines, much of Central and South America, and elsewhere.

Thailand, by comparison, is quite a bit lower than the U.S. per capita murder rate (3+ vs 5+ per 100,000 for the U.S.), but also far far above the non gun-crazed countries in places such a Europe and developed Asia where gun possession rates are low and gun homicide rates per capita are likewise very low, as in, often less than 1.5 per 100,000 population.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

(Thailand is listed in the above chart)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate

(Thailand is NOT listed in this chart, for some reason)

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

7 people death by shooting is called "HORROR". People are wow'ed. Comment section blows up.

235 deaths (including children) in 4 days on the roads is normal, because after all it's a normal part of the "dangerous days".

People need to get their priorities streight.

Get the army on the road to check for drunk driving and speeding if you have to.