Visa to stay 6 months

I am an American citizen.  I am married to a Thai woman who is also an American Citizen.  We have been married for 52 years.  We built a home in Yasothorn, Thailand.  We live in Washington State.  My wife is able to come and go because she has dual citizenship.  I would like to stay in Thailand from November through April each year.  What do I need to do and what forms do I need to be able to stay in Thailand 6 months out of the year?  I am obviously retired and of course have no intention of working.  I just want to enjoy our family and relax.  Any detailed help would be appreciated.  Thank you, Gary

If you will be staying in Yasothon, I would suggest

• you get a multiple entry tourist visa (allowing unlimited 60-day stays for six months, and do border bounces through Mukdahan; or
  • you get a multiple entry Non O visa allowing unlimited 90-day stays for one year, and do a single border bounce through Mukdahan; or
  • you get a single entry Non O visa allowing a single 90-day stay, and travel to Savannakhet via Mukdahan for another single entry Non O visa (requires one night stay in Savannakhet).

The Non O visa requires you to show you are married to a Thai (if you have the original marriage certificate, it should be easy). You seem to have plenty of time to plan, and can apply for the visas by mail. The application for a visa should be done about a month before your trip.

Congratulations on a long, stable marriage.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BritTim said:

..... you get a multiple entry Non O visa allowing unlimited 90-day stays for one year .....

Does it mean a multiple entry Non O visa is valid for a year and its holder is allowed to stay for 90 days after entering the country each time? 

12 minutes ago, post said:

Does it mean a multiple entry Non O visa is valid for a year and its holder is allowed to stay for 90 days after entering the country each time? 

Yes.

EDIT Our OP should also investigate getting a non-OA (retirement) visa from a consulate in the US. These allow a 1 year stay on entry with nothing to do with immigration other than a 90 day report.

Also since he is married to a Thai he can get a 60 day extension to visit his wife on any kind of entry.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, post said:

Yes, exactly.

In fact, when you have a Non O on the basis of marriage, you also have the option of extending the 90 days by a further 60 days at an immigration office inside Thailand on payment of 1,900 baht.

• Like 2