Thailand is "World Champion in motorcycle deaths" - bad brakes to blame

webfact

Thailand is "World Champion in motorcycle deaths" - bad brakes to blame

5pm_SAN.jpg

Picture: Sanook

Thai media has laid the blame for much of Thailand's appalling motorcycle rider death toll at the door of bad brakes. 

If all bikes had ABS systems thousands less could die every year, they reported. 

Sanook said in their headline that the seven deadly days of New Year had shown that Thailand led the world in bike deaths with 80% of all victims on motorcycles.

They said that a million new bikes were hitting the roads each year but few had decent brakes.

Most of the ones fitted with ABS were exported. 

They said that the antilock braking system would help riders even on slippery roads. Much of the problem was not bad riding but the brakes, they claimed. 

Even experienced riders died as a result of bad brakes, they said.

Dr Wiwat Sitamanote who liaises between the government and the WHO said that Thais in general don't realize the importance of good brakes. He said that accidents could be lowered by 33% with ABS.

Sanook said that two million bikes were produced in Thailand each year but half of those were exported with many having ABS. 

Theerapong Rortprasert of the Communications Ministry said that moves were being made to force manufacturers to install ABS on bikes for the Thai market.

He said that at least 6,000 and 9,000 lives could be saved over a five year period if all bikes had the system. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-01-03

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, webfact said:

They said that the antilock braking system would help riders even on slippery roads. Much of the problem was not bad riding but the brakes, they claimed. 

These people just cannot get it into their heads that the real cause of the accidents/deaths is Thais themselves.

Many have never passed any sort of test to get on the road, just about all that I have ever met or come across in my 14 years of using the roads here haven't got a clue about any road sense or even bother to learn any, pay scant regard to any "rules of the road" and are plain stupid.

No amount of ABS brakes would counter such abject stupidity.

Absolutely and utterly ridiculous attempt to shift the blame to world class manufacturers, many of whose products are rigorously tested, especially for their ability to brake suddenly and safely.

The crux of the problem very much is dreadful driving standards across the board, consistent speeding and inattention to potential hazards and a flat out disregard for the law regarding helmet use.

These apologist idiots really need to give their collective heads a shake. Pathetic

The brakes on my bike are not ABS but with proper awareness of what is happening on the road ahead, that has never been a problem. Poor driving is where the real blame lies. Howling down the road flat out, then realising there is an issue ahead, without enough time to stop, where ABS or not isn't going to matter.

17 minutes ago, webfact said:

Much of the problem was not bad riding but the brakes, they claimed. 

Yeh ,it's exactly the same when trucks have accidents,but up in Chiang Mai

the Governor said it was tourists and rain that had caused so many accidents !.

regards worgeordie

There is a lot of diesel ,sand/dirt/dust on Thai roads + pot holes, uneven drain covers,ruts from overloaded trucks,poor signage,dogs,buffalo,elephant bad road design/layout  

deathtrap U-turns   red light runners

poor lighting (lamp post in middle of road)

etc etc etc....

As a very long time bike rider both in Thailand and abroad, from havey road cruises to scooters, one can only marvel as why many more death are not taking place seeing the carelessness and the cowboy attitudes of many bikes riders and particularly upcountry, and nothing will fix this problems short of a policeman on every road corner...

People using ABS-equipped bikes should realise that ABS can increase braking distance - ABS isn't a magic amulet to allow you to stop in a shorter distance. It still requires some brainpower for it to be most effective.

ABS (or any braking system) is useless if the brake pads and shoes, hydraulics and cables are not kept in good condition. I see so many hydraulic brake systems here where the pads are worn down to nothing, where the hydraulic fluid leaked out long ago or the caliper is seized solid so that no amount of brake application will have any effect. Where a caliper has seized in the 'braking' position so that the wheel won't turn, the lever and caliper are often simply removed and not replaced. Any of these faults and many riders seem to use the 'Fred Flintstone' braking method - feet down and hope that does the trick, which it usually doesn't. Or they only use the rear brake because the front is "too strong", which isn't a good braking technique.

I've had many, many bikes over my 50 years of riding. Only one had ABS yet I've only ever had one 'off' in all that time. I - and many other riders - learnt the abilities and limitations of my brakes and rode accordingly. Thai braking technique, if there's any at all and their brakes are working, seems to consist of 'grab a handful and hope'. ABS won't change that.

40 minutes ago, webfact said:

Even experienced riders died as a result of bad brakes, they said

I'd say that on slippery roads, the brakes were 'too good'. Looks to me that the problem was about drivers didn't know how to brake on slippery roads.

Almost every day you can see motorcycle drivers coming out from small soi's onto major roads without even looking to the right for oncoming traffic (even after over 30 years here I cant understand this way of driving, thought it was basic survival instinct too look for oncoming traffic) ABS brakes or not will not help these drivers. But I have to admit that word champion sounds soo much better than just Hub of motorcycle deaths.

33 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Yeh ,it's exactly the same when trucks have accidents,but up in Chiang Mai

the Governor said it was tourists and rain that had caused so many accidents !.

regards worgeordie

Someday in the very far future they will run out of exuses and have to look at themselves.

None of us alive now will see that day.

35 minutes ago, johng said:

There is a lot of diesel ,sand/dirt/dust on Thai roads + pot holes, uneven drain covers,ruts from overloaded trucks,poor signage,dogs,buffalo,elephant bad road design/layout  

deathtrap U-turns   red light runners

poor lighting (lamp post in middle of road)

etc etc etc....

So blame the roads not the brakes, or blame the roads and the brakes ?  So its not the motorcycle drivers ?

26 minutes ago, HiSoLowSoNoSo said:

Almost every day you can see motorcycle drivers coming out from small soi's onto major roads without even looking to the right for oncoming traffic (even after over 30 years here I cant understand this way of driving

Correct, and you or any westener will never understand their way of thinking (or is it non-thinking) no matter how long we've stayed in the country. They are just - different.

Archived