50,000 tourists flee Thai islands, others left stranded ahead of Tropical Storm Pabuk

snoop1130

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Damrongsak said:

I've been through a few tropical storms, if not almost hurricanes here in the USA.  And one nasty tornado just up the street.  Loads of fun.  Not as bad as winter ice storms where power is out for days and there's no heat in freezing temps. 

Wow that's interesting, but what's that got to do with a storm in Thailand...

I don't get it.  When converted, the highest wind they are calling for is 46 mile per hour.  In the Northeast of America and really anywhere in America, for 46 mph we might not close our windows.  Someone explain to me what the horror is, because they're acting worse than Texans told that it might snow an inch in Dallas.

I will be interested to see how the power poles fare if the winds are as strong as predicted. The trenches dug to bury the new water pipelines and the new taller high transmission poles are very close together in many places. If this storm was at typhoon strength (and thank goodness it is not) the islands roads would probably be impassable for days. As it is, some trees and branches will probably come down in a few places.

1 hour ago, Henryford said:

Phuket will be really quiet now. I feel sad for the taxi mafia.

Well they could be the Tsunami offshore warning system was reported down a few months ago, and I saw the state of the land bases one at Karon Beach, looked in need of maintenance, on my last ever visit there. 

4 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

As my user name suggests, I am on Samui. It is just before 6 AM and there is only light rain at the moment.

That said, my cats have gotten all antsy; somehow they know something is up. I have often thought that if humans truly understood animals, we'd be much more tuned in and take far, far better care of the planet.

Far out man.

1 hour ago, soistalker said:

I hope koh Tao disappears under water.

15 years ago I stayed on koh Tao for months (I didn't dive once haha) it was beautiful. Just used to wake up go to that little cove beach up a dirt track on my bike if it wasn't muddy, they had a bar there, snorkel with bread and get freaked out by the fish, then just lay down and drink until I could just about make it back. Joys of being 18 and all alone. 

Has it changed loads? 

As my user name suggests, I am on Samui. It is just before 6 AM and there is only light rain at the moment.

That said, my cats have gotten all antsy; somehow they know something is up. I have often thought that if humans truly understood animals, we'd be much more tuned in and take far, far better care of the planet.

Can your cats predict the winning lottery numbers this week?
I suppose if you asked them they would reply 'Mee ow.'

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 hours ago, Henryford said:

Phuket will be really quiet now. I feel sad for the taxi mafia.

I feel sorry for those paying top rates for a holiday here over New Year. ☹️

Yesterday was fine, but very cold and dark today and presumably likely to get worse - not ideal weather for those here on holiday.

4 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Yes I talk to my dogs all the time and what they tell me sometimes is amazing. Such as "want food" "I love you" "feel lazy today" etc. 

37 minutes ago, Seano88 said:

15 years ago I stayed on koh Tao for months (I didn't dive once haha) it was beautiful. Just used to wake up go to that little cove beach up a dirt track on my bike if it wasn't muddy, they had a bar there, snorkel with bread and get freaked out by the fish, then just lay down and drink until I could just about make it back. Joys of being 18 and all alone. 

Has it changed loads? 

Presumably you haven't read about the number of suspicious tourist deaths that occurred on that now called Death Island. I hope Tropical Storm Pabuk completely obliterates it.

4 hours ago, scorecard said:

Note the photo of the fisherman trying to roll the boat out of harms way and there are other similar photos in the media.

Why no much more efficient help to do this from local authorities or the army?

The army and local  government is not tasked with commercial boat relocation. It is not their responsibility and is an unrealistic expectation. The locals have the matter well in hand and know how best to move their toxic boats.  The army has been deployed building barriers, securing their own personnel and equipment, and protecting key infrastructure. Water pumps, electrical substations, telecommunications, hospitals etc. all have a higher priority than the moving of some decrepit boat. Get a grip.

2 hours ago, soistalker said:

I hope koh Tao disappears under water.

You don't mean that. Rather you would like the depraved corrupt locals to drown. I don't think the natural fauna, trees and other vegetation  merit such a fate.

28 minutes ago, Seano88 said:

Has it changed loads? 

Another irresponsible person. Snorkel with bread. How were you any better than the Chinese who step on coral and who are  attacked on this forum? Are you clueless to the fact that snorkeling with bread is wrong and negatively impacts the fish? Do not use bread to attract reef fish. You'll claim youthful ignorance, but I doubt you appreciate it is wrong today. You could have at least added a caveat that it was not responsible (and damaging) so you don't appear as such as selfish boob.

7 minutes ago, Amabideous said:

And Thaivisa will still shutdown at 9pm Friday for a server upgrade which could wait given it might be a useful medium for news and communication. Shame on you. 

Not really. The power will most likely go down as will internet connections once the storm hits. The people would most likely not have access anyway. Besides, the info from the meteorological service is a reliable place of info, and is what TVF relies on.

3 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

I feel sorry for those paying top rates for a holiday here over New Year. ☹️

Yesterday was fine, but very cold and dark today and presumably likely to get worse - not ideal weather for those here on holiday.

And I doubt many who booked at booking/hotels/expedia/travelocity etc. will get refunds as the negative aspect of the booking sites is that they are almost always non refundable.

15 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

The army and local  government is not tasked with commercial boat relocation. It is not their responsibility and is an unrealistic expectation. The locals have the matter well in hand and know how best to move their toxic boats.  The army has been deployed building barriers, securing their own personnel and equipment, and protecting key infrastructure. Water pumps, electrical substations, telecommunications, hospitals etc. all have a higher priority than the moving of some decrepit boat. Get a grip.

You don't mean that. Rather you would like the depraved corrupt locals to drown. I don't think the natural fauna, trees and other vegetation  merit such a fate.

Another irresponsible person. Snorkel with bread. How were you any better than the Chinese who step on coral and who are  attacked on this forum? Are you clueless to the fact that snorkeling with bread is wrong and negatively impacts the fish? Do not use bread to attract reef fish. You'll claim youthful ignorance, but I doubt you appreciate it is wrong today. You could have at least added a caveat that it was not responsible (and damaging) so you don't appear as such as selfish boob.

Not really. The power will most likely go down as will internet connections once the storm hits. The people would most likely not have access anyway. Besides, the info from the meteorological service is a reliable place of info, and is what TVF relies on.

And I doubt many who booked at booking/hotels/expedia/travelocity etc. will get refunds as the negative aspect of the booking sites is that they are almost always non refundable.

travel insurance cover for lost hollyday and hotel fees.

" the biggest tropical storms to hit the country for more than 30 years" I think the last one was typhoon Gay that caused more than 800 fatalities in and around the Gulf of Thailand in November 1989. Many fishing boats sank and also an oil drilling ship, the Seacrest (90 people died). There was no warnings of the approaching storm and that explains the high number of fatalities especially offshore. I am sure this time everybody working offshore has been safely evacuated to shore as it is normal procedure since after typhoon Gay strike. All fishing boats are probably back to the harbor.

22 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

Most are set to Strick cancellation policies and that is upto arrival day no chance to cancel during the stay

5 hours ago, scorecard said:

Note the photo of the fisherman trying to roll the boat out of harms way and there are other similar photos in the media.

Why no much more efficient help to do this from local authorities or the army?

Police and Army helping? They are much too busy making sure they all (many) get in front of the TV cameras and for the photo shoots after an arrest is made!

Archived