50,000 tourists flee Thai islands, others left stranded ahead of Tropical Storm Pabuk

snoop1130

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Benmart said:

No tragedy too severe, no eminent disaster too great, no loss of life too high for barstool comedics to practice their pathetic craft.

In a country where no one bats an eye when forty people get mangled to death in road accidents daily this seems to be a day with less casualties, so time for rejoice indeed.

From an AFP report posted a few hours ago. 10K really?

"Ten thousand tourists are still on Koh Phangan," said Krikkrai Songthanee, district chief of the island which neighbours Samui and is famed for its full-moon parties. "But I talked to foreigners last night and they are not scared, they understand the situation," he told AFP.

Well I'm in Hua Hin and despite all the warnings, as of now (Midnight Friday) I've not seen a spot of rain!

Reading a post from someone in Samui, they almost sounded disappointed at not getting the storm that was forecast, but at least they got something.  

Does Storm Pabuk actually exist?! If so, it doesn't seem to mirror the warnings that have been given.

11 hours ago, Jim7777 said:

As usual this site is trying to give the appearance that the sky is falling.  I was just down there I just got back from down there last night it's not that bad it's just another tropical storm not even typhoon category.  Yes people are evacuating some areas but hardly even a few thousand if that it's probably more like hundreds of people not 50,000.  This site cracks me up sometimes.  They tried doing the same thing with the income letters being phased out, oh my God the sky is falling we'll all have to pack up and leave lol.  Then that whole thing turned out to be a good thing for most of us at least.  There was a lot of misinformation about that issue and I see the same type of exaggerating going on with this story and others. When we travel to as tourists and especially live in foreign countries we do assume at least some risk. And a storm can happen just about anywhere. Look at how FEMA handled hurricane Katrina in the states now that was a pretty bad response. The Thai authorities down there are actually doing a good job but they're not miracle workers either.  I actually just got home from a really long road trip from way down there and it's almost as if it's business as usual just a storm coming have to be prepared beyond that it's no where near as bad as the article is trying to make it seem.  This is why I don't read these articles on here hardly anymore. Every once in a while this site is maybe good for a heads up on something but rarely.  

The military is evacuating people. It’s all over the news. Nothing to do with “this site.”

And if they did nothing, if there were no warning, and people died, you’d be just the type to write an equally long post condemning them.

Jim7777 "This site" only repeats news items and bulletins from elsewhere and to my knowledge uas not given false information about visa letters or the storm.

Incorrect conjecture from individuals can happen on any forum.

23 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

As my user name suggests, I am on Samui. It is just before 6 AM and there is only light rain at the moment.

That said, my cats have gotten all antsy; somehow they know something is up. I have often thought that if humans truly understood animals, we'd be much more tuned in and take far, far better care of the planet.

LOL.

They just felt the sudden change in air pressure and became agitated. If you'd have a barometer you could have cat superpowers too and some say even predict the future :coffee1:

8 hours ago, HHTel said:

Well I'm in Hua Hin and despite all the warnings, as of now (Midnight Friday) I've not seen a spot of rain!

Reading a post from someone in Samui, they almost sounded disappointed at not getting the storm that was forecast, but at least they got something.  

Does Storm Pabuk actually exist?! If so, it doesn't seem to mirror the warnings that have been given.

Weather "warnings" are a great way of keeping the masses occupied, weather weaponisation ????  

Next the "storm" will be blamed on global warning and we will have to pay more taxes ????

Good gravy, no pleasing some. Not enough news. Too much emphasis. It all depends on where one is located as I can assure the naysayers, the weather is quite severe in some parts. The quality of construction for many structures is such that it can easily be blown away.

9 hours ago, HHTel said:

What? It rained last night. At 8 pm there was a downpour in KTB and much of southern HH town. At 10 pm there was light rain on the Petchy road. And it has been raining quite heavily since  7 am. Have you been out at all?

8 hours ago, HAKAPALITA said:

Planes are landing in Puket same as usual.

Arrivals and departures are occurring but this does not mean it is  all fine. There are delays, particularly on the Chinese routes that have had to fly around the storm. These have resulted in late departures due to the late arrival of the incoming  metal. Bangkok Airways schedule has also been buggered up. Keep in mind that HKT is one of the few functioning airports in the south and they will try and keep it operating as long as possible.

4 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

Good gravy, no pleasing some. Not enough news. Too much emphasis. It all depends on where one is located as I can assure the naysayers, the weather is quite severe in some parts. The quality of construction for many structures is such that it can easily be blown away.

What? It rained last night. At 8 pm there was a downpour in KTB and much of southern HH town. At 10 pm there was light rain on the Petchy road. And it has been raining quite heavily since  7 am. Have you been out at all?

Arrivals and departures are occurring but this does not mean it is  all fine. There are delays, particularly on the Chinese routes that have had to fly around the storm. These have resulted in late departures due to the late arrival of the incoming  metal. Bangkok Airways schedule has also been buggered up. Keep in mind that HKT is one of the few functioning airports in the south and they will try and keep it operating as long as possible.

Yeh, the Thai lot are having problems but JetStar,Chin,  Japan and the Euro Big Boys are gettin in fine.

1 hour ago, geriatrickid said:

I'm off 112.  No rain at all yesterday.  I was working in the garden all day. Traveled to play pool last night on my bike and got back just before midnight.  I noticed the roads by the flyover were wet but any rain had stopped.  Started 'drizzling' early hours of the morning which has not developed into anything more.

O know that rain can be very local in as much as one side of the road may have rain whilst the other side is dry. 

1 hour ago, HHTel said:

I'm off 112.  No rain at all yesterday.  I was working in the garden all day. Traveled to play pool last night on my bike and got back just before midnight.  I noticed the roads by the flyover were wet but any rain had stopped.  Started 'drizzling' early hours of the morning which has not developed into anything more.

O know that rain can be very local in as much as one side of the road may have rain whilst the other side is dry. 

"know that rain can be very local in as much as one side of the road may have rain whilst the other side is dry."

Having lived here more than a few years, I'm still amazed at how rain can be so localised!

Archived