O-A Visa quesion

Hello all. I know this has probably been asked many times but I've looked and don't find the answer I'm looking for so I'm asking here. I plan on getting an O-A Visa later this year. I understand that I just go thru the background check, a health check-up and show proper funds in my bank account as well as my Social Security income. I also understand a person can get a 1 year extension on the O-A while in Thailand. My question is what comes next when it's time to do a 1 year extension but you don't want to open a Thai bank account and put 800,000 baht in it or have to show proof of income of 65,000 baht a month ever there. Can I just mail the proper documents each year to the Thai Embassy in the US to get the extension? Do I need to return to the US each year for the extension? I haven't been able to get a proper response even from the Embassy at this point. Thanks!

You will not need to get an extension for almost 2 years if you use the OA visa to get the maximum total stay you can get from it. It is a multiple entry visa which means you can get a new one year entry from it on or before the date it expires, 

Then after the visa expires you will need a re-entry permit to keep that last entry valid if you want to travel.

It is illegal to apply for a Thai visa while you are in the country. You would have to return to the US to apply for a new OA visa.

Example time table.

Visa issued 1/1 /2019.

Enter Thailand 2/1/2019.

You get stamp for 1 year till say 31/12/2019. You do 90 day reports to your local Imm' or you leave and re-enter every 90 days ( each time you get a one year stamp )  If you do the leave enter every 90 days you don't need to go near Imm' in any way.

On 29/12/2019 you leave and re-enter and get a one year stamp till 28/12/2020.

This is where it changes slightly.

During 2020 if you don't do any leave/enter trips you do 90 day reports, or if 'you' decide to leave re-enter every 90 days you need a re-entry permit to keep your one year stamp

( till 28/12/2020 ) valid.

One time re-entry you buy at Imm' or airport for 1000baht or multi re-entry permit 3800baht.

Thank you Ubon. Confusion here. ????

If the visa has expired then even with a re-entry permit why would I be allowed to re-enter the country? I don't plan on traveling at this point unless it means needing to return to the US to get a new visa.

After it expires (after the initial two year period) are you saying I'll need to return to the US and apply for a new O-A? What is all this I read about having 800,000 baht in a Thai bank and showing the proof of income (Social Security)? When/how would that be needed? 

14 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Example time table.

Visa issued 1/1 /2019.

Enter Thailand 2/1/2019.

You get stamp for 1 year till say 31/12/2019. You do 90 day reports to your local Imm' or you leave and re-enter every 90 days ( each time you get a one year stamp )  If you do the leave enter every 90 days you don't need to go near Imm' in any way.

On 29/12/2019 you leave and re-enter and get a one year stamp till 28/12/2020.

This is where it changes slightly.

During 2020 if you don't do any leave/enter trips you do 90 day reports, or if 'you' decide to leave re-enter every 90 days you need a re-entry permit to keep your one year stamp

( till 28/12/2020 ) valid.

One time re-entry you buy at Imm' or airport for 1000baht or multi re-entry permit 3800baht.

Thanks Overherebc. Sounds like I'll have to leave the country to get an extra year on the initial 1 year visa. I really don't want to do that so it appears my O-A is really only good for 1 year. After that I'll have to return to the US to apply for another O-A? I want to "retire" there and not have to return to the US each year. I must be missing something.

8 minutes ago, HuskerDo said:

Thank you Ubon. Confusion here. ????

If the visa has expired then even with a re-entry permit why would I be allowed to re-enter the country? I don't plan on traveling at this point unless it means needing to return to the US to get a new visa.

After it expires (after the initial two year period) are you saying I'll need to return to the US and apply for a new O-A? What is all this I read about having 800,000 baht in a Thai bank and showing the proof of income (Social Security)? When/how would that be needed? 

Each time you enter Thailand on an O-A visa, you receive a one year stamp. So if you enter Thailand on the last day of the validity of the visa you still get a one year stamp. At that point any further desire to leave Thailand and return on that one year requires a re-entry permit. Once that period has expired if you require another O-A visa, yes you need to the US and get another one. 

3 minutes ago, HuskerDo said:

Thanks Overherebc. Sounds like I'll have to leave the country to get an extra year on the initial 1 year visa. I really don't want to do that so it appears my O-A is really only good for 1 year. After that I'll have to return to the US to apply for another O-A? I want to "retire" there and not have to return to the US each year. I must be missing something.

If you do not want to eventually return to the US for another O-A, then you need to consider an alternative pathway option. That is where the 800k requirement rears its head.

in the last 30 days of any entry you can apply for a one year extension of stay based on 'retirement', you would then need the financial requirements of 800,000 baht in a your name only Thai bank account, cost is 1,900 baht.

Edited by steve187

4 minutes ago, HuskerDo said:

Check the use by/ enter by date on your visa. I you do a cheap flight to say Kl in the morning one day before that date you will get one more year. At the end of that second year you can apply for aretirement extension. 

That's when the 800,000 comes in.

11 minutes ago, HuskerDo said:

Check the use by/ enter by date on your visa. If you do a cheap flight to say Kl in the morning and return same day one day before that date you will get one more year. At the end of that second year you can apply for aretirement extension. 

Edited by overherebc

13 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

If you do not want to eventually return to the US for another O-A, then you need to consider an alternative pathway option. That is where the 800k requirement rears its head.

Thanks SheungWan. Any idea how long it would take to get another O-A if someone returns to the US for it? A day, a week, longer? Do you know anyone that did that?

14 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

Sounds like I'll have to leave the country to get an extra year on the initial 1 year visa. I really don't want to do that so it appears my O-A is really only good for 1 year. After that I'll have to return to the US to apply for another O-A?

are you saying you would rather return to your home country for a fresh '1 year' ( in your mind) O A visa instead of a same day trip out the country for the same 1 year permission to stay.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Check the use by/ enter by date on your visa. If you do a cheap flight to say Kl in the morning and return same day one day before that date you will get one more year. At the end of that second year you can apply for aretirement extension. 

OK thanks for that. If I don't want to have to open a Thai bank account I guess I'll need to plan to return to the US every 2 years and apply for another O-A. Any idea if that includes going thru another background check and health check?

3 minutes ago, steve187 said:

are you saying you would rather return to your home country for a fresh '1 year' ( in your mind) O A visa instead of a same day trip out the country for the same 1 year permission to stay.

Hi Steve. I'd be willing to take a 1 day trip but I was hoping to settle in there and not have to take trips like that if possible. Sounds like I'd have to. I'd prefer not to open a Thai bank account and deposit 800,0000 baht but might have to since it sounds like the govt won't accept proof of income of 65,000 baht a month. I just want to live there and not travel much (at least at first unless it's inside the country). Just want to retire there and relax and not have to make border runs or take day trips outside the country. 

49 minutes ago, HuskerDo said:

Explained and reinforced by others already.

49 minutes ago, HuskerDo said:

I wrote that because you wrote you did not want to put the money in the bank for an extension and asked about applying for another OA visa while still here.

Sorry, but I do not understand why you do not want to put 800K (Approx 25000US) into a Thai bank account if you want that relaxed retirement you want...????

It's still your money...!!!!

Live of that for 9 month's prior to your extension renewal and top up.

EASY.....

Why make it so hard...????

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Explained and reinforced by others already.

I wrote that because you wrote you did not want to put the money in the bank for an extension and asked about applying for another OA visa while still here.

Got it Ubon. I had posed a question earlier that you might be able to respond to. If I don't want to have to open a Thai bank account I guess I'll need to plan to return to the US every 2 years and apply for another O-A. Any idea if that includes going thru another background check and health check? That all would take e few weeks to complete I'd guess. Sounds like the only good option is to deposit 800,000 into a Thai account after year #2 over there and just get an annual extension based on that.

7 minutes ago, marcus111 said:

Sorry, but I do not understand why you do not want to put 800K (Approx 25000US) into a Thai bank account if you want that relaxed retirement you want...????

It's still your money...!!!!

Live of that for 9 month's prior to your extension renewal and top up.

EASY.....

Why make it so hard...????

Hi Marcus. I guess the only thing I can say is that I'm trying to do it MY way and not the THAI way. ???? I think I lose on that one and will need to make the $25k deposit.

I should add that I didn't want to make the $25k deposit as then I have to report it to the US govt (a pain) but since it sounds like (at least on what I read) that the Thai govt won't accept proof of funds for Social Security, pensions, etc and the Consulate doesn't give verification letters ever year the only option is to deposit $25k.

Edited by HuskerDo

The 800,000 will apply to a one year extension of stay for retirement.

If you do the one day trip a couple of days before your OA enter by date you have another year doing 90 day reports.

Close to the end of that second year you apply to your local Imm' office for that extension. That will require the 800,000 to be in the bank here, some offices say 2 months, some say 3 months, called seasoning.

When you get the extension there is no need to leave the 800,000 there. You can use/spend it as you like but if you want another year you need to show the 800,000 in the bank for 3 months when you you apply for a new extension.

24 minutes ago, HuskerDo said:

Hi Steve. I'd be willing to take a 1 day trip but I was hoping to settle in there and not have to take trips like that if possible. Sounds like I'd have to. I'd prefer not to open a Thai bank account and deposit 800,0000 baht but might have to since it sounds like the govt won't accept proof of income of 65,000 baht a month. I just want to live there and not travel much (at least at first unless it's inside the country). Just want to retire there and relax and not have to make border runs or take day trips outside the country. 

its early days yet but there will more than likely be a way to have 65,000 baht coming into a Thai bank account from overseas, as proof for a 'retirement' yearly extension, to avoid having the 800,000 in the bank.

7 minutes ago, overherebc said:

The 800,000 will apply to a one year extension of stay for retirement.

If you do the one day trip a couple of days before your OA enter by date you have another year doing 90 day reports.

Close to the end of that second year you apply to your local Imm' office for that extension. That will require the 800,000 to be in the bank here, some offices say 2 months, some say 3 months, called seasoning.

When you get the extension there is no need to leave the 800,000 there. You can use/spend it as you like but if you want another year you need to show the 800,000 in the bank for 3 months when you you apply for a new extension.

Thanks Overherebc. I'd just leave it there and not touch is so I'll never need to worry about dealing with it again. I'll just have to report it each year to the US govt but I guess that's not a big deal but still a pain.

7 minutes ago, steve187 said:

its early days yet but there will more than likely be a way to have 65,000 baht coming into a Thai bank account from overseas, as proof for a 'retirement' yearly extension, to avoid having the 800,000 in the bank.

Thanks Steve.

59 minutes ago, HuskerDo said:

Thanks Overherebc. I'd just leave it there and not touch is so I'll never need to worry about dealing with it again. I'll just have to report it each year to the US govt but I guess that's not a big deal but still a pain.

Wouldn't worry too much about reporting the interest you make on the 800,000 every year as it will be somewhere between 00 point nothing blank and maybe 2 dollars. ????????????????????

It has been reported that some Imm' offices, for reasons unknown, also like to see some proof of spending so you can decide which way to do that. Add to the 'parked' 800,00 every so often and use it leaving the balance above 800,000 for at least the 3 months before each yearly renewal or have another account for spending money.

Good fun here isn't it. ????????

49 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Wouldn't worry too much about reporting the interest you make on the 800,000 every year as it will be somewhere between 00 point nothing blank and maybe 2 dollars. ????????????????????

It has been reported that some Imm' offices, for reasons unknown, also like to see some proof of spending so you can decide which way to do that. Add to the 'parked' 800,00 every so often and use it leaving the balance above 800,000 for at least the 3 months before each yearly renewal or have another account for spending money.

Good fun here isn't it. ????????

Sounds like about as much fun as a hemorrhoid. ????

Maybe I'll just open an account and take money from my home account via the ATM and make a deposit in the Thai bank each month. That way when my 2 year initial O-A visa is up I'll have the $25k in the Thai bank and just add to it on occasion after that. 

They are making it so that it nearly makes a person want to return to their native country.  

3 hours ago, steve187 said:

It wasn't me making the quote you are referring to. Some error in your reply editing. I think you are responding to HuskerDo. 

3 hours ago, HuskerDo said:

Got it Ubon. I had posed a question earlier that you might be able to respond to. If I don't want to have to open a Thai bank account I guess I'll need to plan to return to the US every 2 years and apply for another O-A. Any idea if that includes going thru another background check and health check? That all would take e few weeks to complete I'd guess. Sounds like the only good option is to deposit 800,000 into a Thai account after year #2 over there and just get an annual extension based on that.

If you decide down the line to apply for sequential O-A visas then each application is a reset ie begin again. However, experience tends to make subsequent applications a less stressful experience. Also easier to go down this pathway IMHO if you intend anyway to return to your home country on a regular basis at least every near 2 years or so. Plus maintain a home address for application reference, plus have access to a doctor for the health reference, plus legal access for notarisation. In short do not burn your boats. If you burn your boats then the O-A a problematic option really.

52 minutes ago, HuskerDo said:

Sounds like about as much fun as a hemorrhoid. ????

Maybe I'll just open an account and take money from my home account via the ATM and make a deposit in the Thai bank each month. That way when my 2 year initial O-A visa is up I'll have the $25k in the Thai bank and just add to it on occasion after that. 

They are making it so that it nearly makes a person want to return to their native country.  

Many guys who neither wish to return home for processing a visa and in addition do not want to put 800k in the bank, what they do right now is use an agent.

11 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

Many guys who neither wish to return home for processing a visa and in addition do not want to put 800k in the bank, what they do right now is use an agent.

Something about using an agent just doesn't seem to be on the up and up. Seems a little shady that they can skirt all the "normal" rules for the visa.

26 minutes ago, HuskerDo said:

Something about using an agent just doesn't seem to be on the up and up. Seems a little shady that they can skirt all the "normal" rules for the visa.

It is most certainly not honest - but some offices / desks will push you to do it, as they get a payoff.  I don't recommend it, on the outside-chance your agent could get thrown under the bus, and take you down with them.  It is very unlikely, given the massive-money in the agent-immigration pipeline, and because any "bust" would hurt that flow from all sources.  But a "sacrifice pawn" situation as part of a PR-stunt could happen - especially if some actual "bad guy" was found to have obtained his extension via "your" agent.

Edited by JackThompson