O-A Visa quesion

1 hour ago, HuskerDo said:

Something about using an agent just doesn't seem to be on the up and up. Seems a little shady that they can skirt all the "normal" rules for the visa.

Then don't use that option if you are not comfortable with it. Others are. You have three choices in front of you, each with their positives and perceived negatives. In the end you will choose one or go elsewhere or........

Edited by SheungWan

5 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

Then don't use that option if you are not comfortable with it. Others are. You have three choices in front of you, each with their positives and perceived negatives. In the end you will choose one or go elsewhere or........

I wasn't going to.

13 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

It is illegal to apply for a Thai visa while you are in the country. You would have to return to the US to apply for a new OA visa.

I don't know who to believe!

"3. Channels to submit application

Applicant may submit their application at the Royal Thai embassy or Royal Thai Consulate-General in their home/residence country or at the Office of the Immigration Bureau in Thailand located onGovernment Center B, Chaengwattana Soi 7, Laksi, Bangkok 10210, Tel 0-2141-9889."

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4908/15385-Non-Immigrant-Visa-"O-A"-(Long-Stay).html?fbclid=IwAR2d3xdjZHO6pJa0cvmfMxRFC3_UxHpzIBZ4lBz7qPMEGo2Jzyl_9J5c_No

9 hours ago, SheungWan said:

It wasn't me making the quote you are referring to. Some error in your reply editing. I think you are responding to HuskerDo. 

sorry you are correct, something went wrong, more than likely me.

41 minutes ago, oslooskar said:

I don't know who to believe!

Just wrong and misleading info. You can only apply for a one year extension of stay based upon retirement at immigration. 

Also wrong since it only mentions the immigration office in Bangkok since there are about 60 or more offices where the extension of stay can be applied for.

53 minutes ago, steve187 said:

sorry you are correct, something went wrong, more than likely me.

Probably because you quoted a quote that was not the original post so it showed it as being done by the person that did the post with the quote in it.

For example this because I selected the text and then quoted it.

53 minutes ago, steve187 said:

It wasn't me making the quote you are referring to. Some error in your reply editing. I think you are responding to HuskerDo. 

If I had done it the correct way it would show this.

9 hours ago, SheungWan said:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Just wrong and misleading info. You can only apply for a one year extension of stay based upon retirement at immigration. 

Also wrong since it only mentions the immigration office in Bangkok since there are about 60 or more offices where the extension of stay can be applied for.

I'm still in the dark as to whether I can enter Thailand on a tourist visa and then apply for an O-A visa once I am there----OR if I am required by Thai law to apply for it here in my home country at a Thai Consulate before leaving for Thailand?

53 minutes ago, oslooskar said:

I'm still in the dark as to whether I can enter Thailand on a tourist visa and then apply for an O-A visa once I am there----OR if I am required by Thai law to apply for it here in my home country at a Thai Consulate before leaving for Thailand?

You cannot apply for a OA visa here in Thailand.

You can enter on a tourist visa and apply for a change of visa status to get a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) entry and then during the last 30 days of the 90 days apply for an extension of stay based upon retirement.

You would need 800k baht in a Thai bank or proof of 65k baht income or a combination of the 2 totaling 800k baht.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

You would need 800k baht in a Thai bank or proof of 65k baht income or a combination of the 2 totaling 800k baht.

I opened a Thai bank account in February 2018 and put the necessary funds in it at that time. However, if I cannot apply for O-A visa in Thailand then the best course of action would be to apply for it here in the U.S. before leaving for Thailand. 

27 minutes ago, oslooskar said:

I opened a Thai bank account in February 2018 and put the necessary funds in it at that time. However, if I cannot apply for O-A visa in Thailand then the best course of action would be to apply for it here in the U.S. before leaving for Thailand. 

If you already have the 800k baht in a Thai bank it would be easy to apply for the extension of stay here.

Just do what I wrote about before.