Speeding camera's

oporhatch

My car just got hit with a speeding fine from a camera for the first time,  I wasn't actually driving , but was in the car.

I have seen signs stating there is a speed camera in various spots  -  however  as 90% of cars have been overtaking when I stay within the speed limits, I had come to the conclusion, that they were not active .

Therefore my question is how can I know where speed cameras are active  -   are they statically located, somebody with a gun, in a van..........or where they are 

Any advice/experience  would be appreciated how I can detect active speed traps 

Maybe its a stupid question.......(dont all shout at once !!!)  

There are two types in Thailand 1/Fixed speeding cameras 2/Mobile cameras (a guy sitting next to the road). Most of the time the fixed cameras have warning signs a couple of hundred meters before the actual camera...the mobile cameras do not. If you want to avoid fines, I recommend sticking to the speed limit or buying a radar for your car from Ebay might work, but not with all frequencies.

I have had 5 tickets in the last couple of years, all 500bht, sent to my home address. And from all over Thailand, south Phuket to Chiang Mai north. None in the last 7 months thank Buddha.

It's not the moneys but the aggro lining up in the post office paying same. Having spoken to my taxi driver he said provided I don't exceed 20km above the limit I should be OK?

A lot less on the 120km roads round BKK, seems on those roads 5/10km above and you could be in trouble. With fines around 1.000bht. The expressways round BKK also have cameras fixed and mobile the limit on those is normally 80kph doing 100kph or above on those and it'll be the 1.000bht.

Have done as my taxi driver advised and all's been Ok over the last 7 months. Thankfully I have cruse control so can stick to the limit or just above very easily. Only one bummer it now takes me a lot longer to do a trip.

So the answer to the OP is they are everywhere. In or around cities have the most it seems.

• Like 1

I've noticed the Thais in Udon Thani spray paint white on the license plates, some a little bit, some go overboard.

In the US I've noticed a lot of plastic covers on the plates, gives a reflection when the camera goes off.

Personally I'm not in that much of a hurry and drive to conditions

Edited by kwonitoy

8 minutes ago, kwonitoy said:

I've noticed the Thais in Udon Thani spray paint white on the license plates, some a little bit, some go overboard.

I noticed something like that the other day. Basically, an all white number plate on a fairly new car. You could only see the letters and numbers from the indentations.

My BIL was driving 120 in Chanthaburi somewhere in the 90k...........the reason I raised the post is that in my opinion the general crusing speed of my car is 100, which is over the limit !!..........and I have never received a ticket before and I have been driving for 3 years............so maybe the 20km over is key ..and why I have never received one before.

anyway ..............some things have given me more information about the speed camera situation 

Thanks          

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oporhatch said:

anyway ..............some things have given me more information about the speed camera situation 

Thanks  

I think with some mobile camera's they only allow 10 kph over because I got done by one and fined for 83 kph in a speed sign posted 70 but did not warn there were camera's.

I got done again in Phitsanulok with with a warning sign fixed camera area for 115 kph in a 90 kph.

I stick now to 10 kph over now in speed limit areas and been OK so far.

Around home areas I just potter around in 4th. ????

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

I think with some mobile camera's they only allow 10 kph over because I got done by one and fined for 83 kph in a speed sign posted 70 but did not warn there were camera's.

I got done again in Phitsanulok with with a warning sign fixed camera area for 115 kph in a 90 kph.

I stick now to 10 kph over now in speed limit areas and been OK so far.

Around home areas I just potter around in 4th. ????

In also received one in Phitso for doing 115kph on the 117. But that was 5km above the 20kph that I quoted.

They have a speed limit on the 1/32AR at 80kph in K.P.Phet And your OK on that at 95/100kph I do that several times a week never had a ticket. Anymore I haven a clue. Those ones are fixed. And there are signs. The 1/32 AR is normally 90 over it's entire distance but changes to 80 for around 15km as you go through K.P.Phet. It's not signed anywhere just comes up on my Sat Nav.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

In also received one in Phitso for doing 115kph on the 117. But that was 5km above the 20kph that I quoted.

They have a speed limit on the 1/32AR at 80kph in K.P.Phet And your OK on that at 95/100kph I do that several times a week never had a ticket. Anymore I haven a clue. Those ones are fixed. And there are signs. The 1/32 AR is normally 90 over it's entire distance but changes to 80 for around 15km as you go through K.P.Phet. It's not signed anywhere just comes up on my Sat Nav.

???? Trying post on my phone and it disappeared on Thaivisa advert. 

Edited by Kwasaki

16 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

???? Trying post on my phone and it disappeared on Thaivisa advert. 

I feel for you. Nothing but aggro and adverts on TV now it's getting like Yahoo on it's last legs. With peeps going to other sites? I don't know if others have noticed that lots of the educated regular Peeps now long gone. Please take note Mods. 

Edited by fredob43
  • Like 1

On 1/5/2019 at 9:32 PM, HAKAPALITA said:

A Nikon passed me at 200 at least today..emoji327.png

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I was doing 230km p/h on a German Autobahn and got passed by a guy with his wife and kids in the car. At least 245.

21 hours ago, Snow Leopard said:

I was doing 230km p/h on a German Autobahn and got passed by a guy with his wife and kids in the car. At least 245.

Only 150 mph done 305 kph on the German Autobahn on my Motorbike, nice highway and not busy.

• Like 1

The limits for cars in Thailand are 120kph, 90kph and 80kph.

90kph is out of the city, 80kph is in the city.

120kph I can do on R9. Which other routes are 120kph? It is news to me that the Bangkok expressways are only 90.