Using a foreign credit card to buy fuel.

Yeap....since Thai merchants generally only require signature for purchases losing your credit/debit card can be like losing cash unless the card-issuing bank has the card coded for "PIN Only" purchase.

At least here in the metro Bangkok area many merchants like Lotus, Big C, Tops, etc., have their POS machines setup not to require any signature unless the amount exceeds Bt1500.  Can speak to what happens if your card-issuing bank has your card coded to allow PIN Entry Only purchase.

This is called a "low value purchase"....it's something Visa/Mastercard allows....not just in Thailand but in many countries. 

Now at fuel stations I've always had to sign a receipt but I expect at some point they too may transition to low value purchase.   As mentioned earlier I always go along with the fuel station attendant to the POS machine where it inserts/swipes the card...keep eyes on my card at all time.  And the day they shift to low value purchase I will DEFINITELY continue to keep eyes on my card while the attendant process the transaction to make sure he/she only processes "my transaction" instead of maybe using it twice to pay for some fuel dispensed to a buddy at the same time as I was refueling. 

Yeap....treat your cards like cash.

1 hour ago, sumrit said:

couldn't you just get out the car, go to the booth and enter the pin yourself??

Possibly, but that wasnt presented to me as an option. They probably have rules about not letting people into the booths.

I am talking about an official toll booth on a large bridge on the interstate.

2 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

Possibly, but that wasnt presented to me as an option. They probably have rules about not letting people into the booths.

I am talking about an official toll booth on a large bridge on the interstate.

Here in Thailand you can go right along with the attendant who refilled your vehicle to the booth where he processes the transaction in the POS machine.  I "always" do it....have for 10 years here in Thailand....I keep eyes on my card.

2 minutes ago, Pib said:

Here in Thailand you can go right along with the attendant who refilled your vehicle to the booth where he processes the transaction in the POS machine.  I "always" do it....have for 10 years here in Thailand....I keep eyes on my card.

Of course. I'm entirely aware of that. I was just comparing with an experience I had on a toll bridge in the US where it wasnt possible to do that.

Here, of course, they only take cash at motorway toll booths so it doesnt apply.

And I will add based on 10 years of using my cards at Thai fuel stations and observing how many people who pay with debit/credit cards get out of their vehicle to keep close control/eyes on the card I would estimate it's only around 10% get out of their vehicle.  Around 90% just continue to set in their vehicle while the fuel attendant takes their card to the POS machine, processes the transaction, and brings the card and receipt for signature back.

9 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

Of course. I'm entirely aware of that. I was just comparing with an experience I had on a toll bridge in the US where it wasnt possible to do that.

Here, of course, they only take cash at motorway toll booths so it doesnt apply.

Except the Fast Lane, which very few seem to use

22 minutes ago, Pib said:

Yeap....since Thai merchants generally only require signature for purchases losing your credit/debit card can be like losing cash unless the card-issuing bank has the card coded for "PIN Only" purchase.

At least here in the metro Bangkok area many merchants like Lotus, Big C, Tops, etc., have their POS machines setup not to require any signature unless the amount exceeds Bt1500.  Can speak to what happens if your card-issuing bank has your card coded to allow PIN Entry Only purchase.

This is called a "low value purchase"....it's something Visa/Mastercard allows....not just in Thailand but in many countries. 

Now at fuel stations I've always had to sign a receipt but I expect at some point they too may transition to low value purchase.   As mentioned earlier I always go along with the fuel station attendant to the POS machine where it inserts/swipes the card...keep eyes on my card at all time.  And the day they shift to low value purchase I will DEFINITELY continue to keep eyes on my card while the attendant process the transaction to make sure he/she only processes "my transaction" instead of maybe using it twice to pay for some fuel dispensed to a buddy at the same time as I was refueling. 

Yeap....treat your cards like cash.

This is like the Contactless Cards in UK, (other countries are available) where under £30 you just touch your card. But it is YOU who does it.

Retired to Thailand 7 1/2 years and have used my US credits cards here without incidence. Well, there was one instance where someone used my card number at a McDs in Newark while I was here. A copy of my Passpot page proving I was in Thailand and the bank took care of everything.

I would agree that the gas charges are best handled by cash. Charge your lodging at decent hotels and you should have no issues.

14 minutes ago, Pib said:

And I will add based on 10 years of using my cards at Thai fuel stations and observing how many people who pay with debit/credit cards get out of their vehicle to keep close control/eyes on the card I would estimate it's only around 10% get out of their vehicle.  Around 90% just continue to set in their vehicle while the fuel attendant takes their card to the POS machine, processes the transaction, and brings the card and receipt for signature back.

I'm one of the 10%.  No way do my credit cards or ATM/debit cards disappear from my sight (with my knowledge) to a stranger.  They're my lifeline....

2 hours ago, Pib said:

But a lot of European cards are setup to only allow PIN entry purchase.

On the rare occasion where I used my German card for car rental I had to enter the PIN at the hand terminal.

Now days if you have a CC issued by a 'GOOD' bank there is NO WORRY, Issued in most first world countries...........

I have many (USA) Visa/MC/ AMEX cards.... Many with no foreign Transaction fees.... and use 'often' in Thailand at the 'Pump' and namebrand restruants, 7-11, BigC, Tesco, etc....... NEVER A PROBLEM...... I do monitor the card accounts frequently while in Thailand online.... My Thai 'lady' of 22 years has about 3 different cards on my accounts (and never abused her priviledge)..... And NEVER A PROBLEM..........

In the USA I had a fraudulent use of one card (Visa) and the card issuer contacted me and I denied the charge and it was instantly removed from my bill (2 charges about $500 each--- Home Depot and 'MAY COMPANY' Dept. Store) And I was never charged.........  So many cards have 'built in' FRAUD PROTECTION....... 

I takes a bit of work, on ...............ON 'YOUR' BEHALF,.............. to 'Know' your card company will take care of you....... There are 'SO MANY' that do.......... 

TIP..... The average person doesn't spend enough time to inquire what their CC does for them.......

I know the 'Horror Stories' that we all have heard........ And there was a 'Prevention' in 'every case'..... Either the card holder didn't know what their card would do to protect them or they did not spend the time to 'persue' a remedy with the CC bank....... (Many people will 'rant and rave' when in fact THEY, THEMSELVES, did not use enough of their own time to to seek a 'remedy' and just accepted the loss) I personally have a long list of appeals of charges and am totally pleased with the results and my 'savings........... BUT, Personally.... I WILL FIGHT when I am 'wronged'........

I use MY CC's in the US and Thailand without concern and 'often' the cards leave my sight....... and I am 'totally confortable........ Because I have 'spent my personal time' to learn about what 'protection' MY cards offer me.......... AND I will 'use my time' on occasion to follow thru on a problem.......... IF YOU ARE NOT LAZY PERSONALLY......... You can enjoy using a CC freely.......

And a personal note: When I make a purchase in Thailand, I will go home (In Thailand) and look online at my account...... I find that the dollar exchange rate was much better than the exchange rate on the street for that same day...... I have time to research this 'crap' (and it is a hobby - saving money)..... MY MOM, bless her, taught me that "pennies make dollars"..... and that if you "look after the pennies, the dollars will look after themselves".........

I 'sponsor' that you know your CC and then relax and use it often, with comfort,....... In Thailand....... (As I do).....

5 hours ago, LukKrueng said:

For me, the whole idea of full service is that I can stay in the car... The pump handles are color coded so very easy to see which 1 they use. Just state clearly what you want - benzine, gasohol, diesel or whatever. In one occasion the attended  asked me 3 times if I was sure of my selection as he thought it was a benzine engine and I asked for diesel. 

As for the credit card - Never had a problem (local cards) of "funny charges". There was 1 time that the worker charged my card twice and the credit card company denied the 2nd charge. The guy came over to tell me that the card wasn't approved. I called the company to ask why was it refused. The answer was 2 charges same place same amount within a couple of minutes from each other. Apparently what happened was that the reader was out of paper when the 1st charge took place. The worker replaced the roll and tried to charge again thinking the 1st time it didn't go through.

yes, and?

was the attendant satisfied with that?

28 minutes ago, CanuckThai said:

I'm one of the 10%.  No way do my credit cards or ATM/debit cards disappear from my sight (with my knowledge) to a stranger.  They're my lifeline....

Yes and I am part of the 90%......... I have used enough of my 'Free-Time' to learn 'HOW SAFE' my CC's are....... And I 'REAP' many benefits from them (Airline Miles/ Hotel Nights) ....... TIP: You get out of life what effort you put into it..... LOL.....

I often pay for fuel with my prepaid UK currency card (Mastercard). Most of the time it is just sign but sometimes they claim it will not work and invite me into the cabin where it says on the card reader screen - in plain English - Enter PIN: I duly enter my PIN and smiles all round as the transaction completes. I don't know why the Merchant Company does not have 'Enter PIN' 'ใส่พิน' in Thai on their card readers as this would save a lot of confusion. Tesco and Big C no longer ask me to both enter PIN and sign but they did in 2017, now its back to just sign.

I use my UK Halifax Clarity card as much as I can. To buy petrol and to shop in Tesco Lotus and Big C. I get the Mastercard exchange rate which is excellent and comparable to TT exchange booths and Superrich. Never had a problem never been scammed. Saves carrying around so much cash.

17 hours ago, Pib said:

15 hours ago, CanuckThai said:

Well, I'm really only part of that 10% when it comes to buying product/service at certain Thai places like at "fuel stations" where the attendants are always changing/quitting....it's another one of these Bt300 per day jobs where the employee turnover is high and some of their employees don't give me warm fuzzies in terms of trustworthiness---just a perception I have, right or wrong.

But when it comes to paying with my credit card at some Thai restaurants like MK where the waitress will give you the bill at the table and then take your card to the cashier central booth/office, I really don't have an issue with that (right or wrong)....I don't follow them to the POS machine. 

Yea when using my card at the fuel station I keep eyes on it at all times.  

On 1/6/2019 at 11:35 PM, KittenKong said:

They asked me for mine at a major toll bridge kiosk in the USA. I was a bit surprised that the card reader didn't have an extension cord to allow it to be passed out of the window to the driver, but the cashier was adamant.

There would of been one big hold up if they had ask me, I would of paid in cash.

In Thailand I go to the kiosk and punch pin number in of course I just wonder who would give them their pin number.

The banks don't let you declare it to them.

28 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

There would of been one big hold up if they had ask me, I would of paid in cash.

I think that particular bridge was one that didnt take cash either.

I found it confusing and annoying in the US that the rules about tolls for motorways and bridges and tunnels change completely depending on which state you are in. Some only accepted cards, some only accepted cash, some only accepted EZPass transponders, some took different combinations of the three. Some you only paid in one direction and the other was free. Most locals seemed to use EZPass.

On 1/6/2019 at 2:28 PM, KhunBENQ said:

Hand them over your CC (or debit) card with the CVV (3 digit on the back) NOT scratched off and wait for some interesting online shop bills.

I would have to be in a serious calamity to be forced using my foreign credit card for such trivia like fueling up.

The biggest obstacle: it's at home in the safe and only taken for auspicious occasions :biggrin:

Use my credit card for everything here that I can. The frequent flyer miles cover the flight for my annual trip home. 

Archived