Using a foreign credit card to buy fuel.

Yes you can use a foreign CC at gas stations, I've used various ones over the years without a problem.

For the second part of your question, I'm thinking you are envisioning some 'pay at the pump' option like in most western countries. 

That doesn't happen in Thailand. This is full service, an attendant pumps the gas and takes your credit card off to someone in the booth with access to the card readers. You'll get the card back with the receipt for you to sign

16 hours ago, KittenKong said:

I never let my cards out of my sight.

Hand them over your CC (or debit) card with the CVV (3 digit on the back) NOT scratched off and wait for some interesting online shop bills.

I would have to be in a serious calamity to be forced using my foreign credit card for such trivia like fueling up.

The biggest obstacle: it's at home in the safe and only taken for auspicious occasions :biggrin:

10 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

I luv it when sometimes when they ask for my pin number. 

They asked me for mine at a major toll bridge kiosk in the USA. I was a bit surprised that the card reader didnt have an extension cord to allow it to be passed out of the window to the driver, but the cashier was adamant.

45 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

They asked me for mine at a major toll bridge kiosk in the USA. I was a bit surprised that the card reader didnt have an extension cord to allow it to be passed out of the window to the driver, but the cashier was adamant.

So what did you do? 

10 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Hand them over your CC (or debit) card with the CVV (3 digit on the back) NOT scratched off and wait for some interesting online shop bills.

I would have to be in a serious calamity to be forced using my foreign credit card for such trivia like fueling up.

The biggest obstacle: it's at home in the safe and only taken for auspicious occasions :biggrin:

Maybe a decade ago. This days online purchases require little more than a card number and cvv. 

Not to mention if it did happen, 5 min call to bank and charge back is filed and you get your money back 

58 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

You do not need PIN number , can always say no pin and sign 

I been paying for my Thai vehicle (SUV diesel) fuel for around 10 years with two different US credit cards.  I probably average around 5 fuel buys/fill-ups per month.  Never a problem.   Both of my cards are no foreign transaction fee cards....and no fuel station has ever attempted a DCC transaction.

I've never seen a Thai self service pump where you insert your card to pay and then pump the fuel yourself.  Around 5 years ago I read a Bangkok Post article that PTT was testing some self-service pay pumps but I have never seen any around Thailand...but most of my driving is in the metro Bangkok area.  

I always get out of my vehicle when fueling for two reasons:

(1) to confirm the attendant uses the correct fuel...like not putting gas/petrol into my diesel vehicle which would be disastrous...as gas/petrol will very, very quickly damage a diesel engine.  This happen to my neighbor two years ago with they new diesel vehicle....the fuel station ended up paying approx Bt40K in repair costs...and the neighbor actually ended up selling the vehicle a few months later because she was afraid after the repair she would still have problems.

(2) to stay within a few steps of my credit card....keep a close eye on it....hand the card to the attendant...walk a few steps with him/her over to the POS machine....watch them as they process the payment...sign the receipt....get the card back....all under my watchful eyes.

Short answer is yes you can use it and you will enter your pin or sign or both depending it seems on the bank machine being used. Prepare to do both and get out of your car and walk the card to the machine and keep it in sight. BUT the fees from your overseas card are likely to be high if you are filling often. As a large car from empty would take only around 2000 baht you would be safer paying by cash and cut out any doubt. Remember even if the bank are told of your travels they may automatically stop your transaction due to security.  Grab some cash from an ATM to do it and avoid using  foreign cards frequently.

13 hours ago, BestB said:

Maybe a decade ago. This days online purchases require little more than a card number and cvv. 

Not to mention if it did happen, 5 min call to bank and charge back is filed and you get your money back 

Yes, I don't use my US based cards for small purchases or in small shops, but I do use it sometimes at Fascino, Tops, Big C or Bangkok Pattaya Hospital and some shops in the malls, which I suppose could be called "trivial" expenses. Never had a problem.

I get daily emails from the credit card issuer with my current balance, if any, so I'd know if anything unexpected had turned up. A phone call or visit to their website would remedy any unauthorized charge.

Certainly I give the card number and cvv for online purchases. Given the number of massive data breaches in western countries, the odds are probably greater outside of Thailand than at some business in Thailand of credit card fraud taking place.

3 hours ago, Pib said:

I been paying for my Thai vehicle (SUV diesel) fuel for around 10 years with two different US credit cards.  I probably average around 5 fuel buys/fill-ups per month.  Never a problem.   Both of my cards are no foreign transaction fee cards....and no fuel station has ever attempted a DCC transaction.

I've never seen a Thai self service pump where you insert your card to pay and then pump the fuel yourself.  Around 5 years ago I read a Bangkok Post article that PTT was testing some self-service pay pumps but I have never seen any around Thailand...but most of my driving is in the metro Bangkok area.  

I always get out of my vehicle when fueling for two reasons:

(1) to confirm the attendant uses the correct fuel...like not putting gas/petrol into my diesel vehicle which would be disastrous...as gas/petrol will very, very quickly damage a diesel engine.  This happen to my neighbor two years ago with they new diesel vehicle....the fuel station ended up paying approx Bt40K in repair costs...and the neighbor actually ended up selling the vehicle a few months later because she was afraid after the repair she would still have problems.

(2) to stay within a few steps of my credit card....keep a close eye on it....hand the card to the attendant...walk a few steps with him/her over to the POS machine....watch them as they process the payment...sign the receipt....get the card back....all under my watchful eyes.

For me, the whole idea of full service is that I can stay in the car... The pump handles are color coded so very easy to see which 1 they use. Just state clearly what you want - benzine, gasohol, diesel or whatever. In one occasion the attended  asked me 3 times if I was sure of my selection as he thought it was a benzine engine and I asked for diesel. 

As for the credit card - Never had a problem (local cards) of "funny charges". There was 1 time that the worker charged my card twice and the credit card company denied the 2nd charge. The guy came over to tell me that the card wasn't approved. I called the company to ask why was it refused. The answer was 2 charges same place same amount within a couple of minutes from each other. Apparently what happened was that the reader was out of paper when the 1st charge took place. The worker replaced the roll and tried to charge again thinking the 1st time it didn't go through.

Many credit card companies are now placing chips on credit and debit cards.

A card reader may not be able to read chipped cards.

Some new chipped cards now require a 6-digit PIN vs old 4-digit PIN.

My new Thai debit bank card that has a chip was declined at Tesco as unreadable.

Make sure you have cash as a backup.

On 1/5/2019 at 7:28 PM, GinBoy2 said:

Yes you can use a foreign CC at gas stations, I've used various ones over the years without a problem.

For the second part of your question, I'm thinking you are envisioning some 'pay at the pump' option like in most western countries. 

That doesn't happen in Thailand. This is full service, an attendant pumps the gas and takes your credit card off to someone in the booth with access to the card readers. You'll get the card back with the receipt for you to sign

Mickey Mouse signed for my last tankful.

15 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Would it not be a CARDIER as opposed to a cashier?   lol 

I use my no foreign transaction fee American credit card all the time to buy gas in Thailand.

Never had a problem in the years that I have been doing it.

I have alerts sent to me each time a purchase is made, so I know if/when any fraud is taking place.

I don't really worry about it.

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 10:09 PM, KittenKong said:

with I never let my cards out of my sight.

Sure, i always walk with the attendant to the cashier to pay with my credit card.

The accept CC card in most large cities but in small villages with a local owned gaz station the want cash.

12 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

Many credit card companies are now placing chips on credit and debit cards.

A card reader may not be able to read chipped cards.

Some new chipped cards now require a 6-digit PIN vs old 4-digit PIN.

My new Thai debit bank card that has a chip was declined at Tesco as unreadable.

Make sure you have cash as a backup.

I have never ever been asked to put in my PIN at Tesco, Big C, petrol stations, just sign the slip, as we did in UK 20 years ago. Then, do they ever check the signature....no. As I said in another answer, Mickey Mouse just paid for my last tankful.

12 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

I have never ever been asked to put in my PIN at Tesco, Big C, petrol stations, just sign the slip, as we did in UK 20 years ago. Then, do they ever check the signature....no. As I said in another answer, Mickey Mouse just paid for my last tankful.

Have your cards been recently chipped?

That is what I am mentioning.

Previously I wasn't asked in Tesco to input a PIN. Like you my card was put through a reader and receipt for signature printed out.

1 minute ago, Srikcir said:

Have your cards been recently chipped?

That is what I am mentioning.

Previously I wasn't asked in Tesco to input a PIN. Like you my card was put through a reader and receipt for signature printed out.

My three year old Bangkok Bank Debit card has got a chip, but never asked for a PIN.

On 1/6/2019 at 2:28 PM, KhunBENQ said:

Never had a problem here in Thailand and use it all the time, had a couple of problems in Aus and one when visiting Europe last July/ Aug.

Been using my US credit cards for over 10 years in Thailand....use them a lot....whenever possible since they give 1.5% cash back on every purchase.  The cards have had chips several years now....I've never been required to enter my PIN in Thailand in any store...and any fuel station....not even when they didn't have a chips...it's always been a signature requirement.

Whether a merchant asks for a PIN entry is more driven the the "card-issuing" bank requirement.  That is the card-issuing bank has coded the card to require a PIN entry for a purchase.  And many times if the merchant has his POS machine setup to "not require a PIN entry/only wants a signature" but the card requires a PIN entry the transaction will be rejected because "both the merchant's POS machine and the card" must agree on the customer validation method.  If they can't come to agreement the transaction is rejected.

My US cards are setup to support either PIN Entry Required or Signature Required....what ever makes the merchant happy.   But a lot of European cards are setup to only allow PIN entry purchase.

1 hour ago, wgdanson said:

Tesco have started using a system where you sign a small electronic screen and under a certain amount ( cannot remember the amount) no signature required.

3 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

Tesco have started using a system where you sign a small electronic screen and under a certain amount ( cannot remember the amount) no signature required.

But that still means someone can use ANY card they have found which someone has dropped in the street or they have stolen or whatever. They do not have to be the legal card user. ....Stupid innit?

Archived