After the carnage that killed six: "negligent" driver fined 5,000 baht, dead get 30K each

webfact

7 hours ago, Lungstib said:

I understand there will be a lot of anger and blame throwing but as an ex-coach driver I am also looking to see if he really was to blame. If its true he was avoiding a collision he may not be guilty of much at all. The huge problem here is the lack of proper crash barriers and the stupid 'design' of Thai highways where deep ditches are positioned to the right of the fast lane to ensure buses overturn and roll once they leave the road. Its a common feature of many bus accidents and it can be seen on highways all over the country. Add in the fact that many roads have been elevated by 1m of red dirt and the drop off the road becomes a major reason for deaths after collisions that maybe wouldn't have caused serious injury. And that still leaves out the fact that buses are not built to withstand a roll and seatbelts are not mandatory.

And if he had been driving to the conditions?????????

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Lungstib said:

I understand there will be a lot of anger and blame throwing but as an ex-coach driver I am also looking to see if he really was to blame. If its true he was avoiding a collision he may not be guilty of much at all. The huge problem here is the lack of proper crash barriers and the stupid 'design' of Thai highways where deep ditches are positioned to the right of the fast lane to ensure buses overturn and roll once they leave the road. Its a common feature of many bus accidents and it can be seen on highways all over the country. Add in the fact that many roads have been elevated by 1m of red dirt and the drop off the road becomes a major reason for deaths after collisions that maybe wouldn't have caused serious injury. And that still leaves out the fact that buses are not built to withstand a roll and seatbelts are not mandatory.

We are not sure but it is very likely he was tailgating. In 16 years here, I have made numerous inter-provincial journeys and most drivers of these buses are just about always as close enough to the vehicle in front as to be completely irresponsible - 5 meters and less at 90kmh. At that time of night/morning, there can't be that many vehicles on the road that I imagine there was any need to be that close, bearing in mind it was raining as well.

As for the fine - I don't know whether to laugh or cry! In some sawng thaows there is a printed message inside that fines you B5000 for smoking!!

9 hours ago, Lungstib said:

very true, and I have to add every long distance buss I have been on now I have been told to buckle up

10 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

That puts into perspective exactly what a life is worth here.

Absolutely pathetic, and shameful.

100% correct.

Although, I think, it would be different if it were a member/s of the "ruling class" killed!

10 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

That puts into perspective exactly what a life is worth here.

Absolutely pathetic, and shameful.

If I knew for sure that I would only have to pay 30k baht for each Thai I flattened, there would be blood on the streets. 

1 minute ago, dcnx said:

If I knew for sure that I would only have to pay 30k baht for each Thai I flattened, there would be blood on the streets. 

Interesting. Why would you want to murder innocent Thais? Do you hate Thai people?  10 Thais for B300,000?

Just curious.

10 hours ago, TMNH said:

I agree. And then I read stories about excessive resources to rid overstays. Thailand....unless you get your s..t together you will remain a third world country and I assure you that the rich ones- those who come here with not a worry do not enter in my point. They do not see the reality and simply go home when their endless purse becomes boring.

Meanwhile, the Thai natives constantly attempt to survive. And then...the BS 3rd world infrastructure wreaks years behind in common sense. Build a f....g public transportation where mafia taxis are long gone. Other countries have done so. You (Thailand) lost track of accommodating the tourism as well as all the other tidbits that need correcting. And forgive me for mentioning the late king...besides the fact that I also love jazz, HIS principles are are no longer existent.

Rich people do not come here. 

• Like 2

TiT truly is a tit. 

3pm_VI.jpg

Daily news reported on the aftermath of the tour bus that crashed in Pahonyothin Road, Pathum Thani at the weekend. 

As relatives of the six dead came to collect their loved ones at Thammasat Chalermprakiat Hospital came news that the Department of Land Transport could fine the negligent driver only up to 5,000 baht. 

And the family of each of the dead victims would get just 30,000 baht from the tour bus company that ran the service - Prayat Tour Co Ltd. 

The company have been fined 50,000 baht.

However, police have charged driver Pratchaya Wangliangklang, 24, with negligence causing death and detained him.

He said that it was raining and a pick-up in front of his swerved to avoid a crashed motorcycle. In attempting to avoid a collision he said he lost control and ended up overturned in the ditch. 

No alcohol was found in his system. 

Some 56 people were reported injured in the crash that occurred opposite the Thai Watsadu store on Pahonyothin Road inbound at Klong One. The bus was inbound to Bangkok on the Phanom Phrai (Roi-Et) to Bangkok route. 

A video after the crash on Channel 8 showed Ruam Katanyu foundation rescue using cutting equipment to extricate the victims inside the double-decker after it overturned. 

The local district chief and head of the DLT were at the hospital discussing compensation and help for the many injured being treated at various Bangkok hospitals yesterday. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-01-07

11 minutes ago, The Theory said:

How could a “double decker” go upside down like that !!!!!

#1 not only by numbers, but also by technic of creating unique collisions. 

Because they are fabricated in Thailand, with no real specification about tilting, or anything else.

UK double deckers however are type tested to  a minimum of 28 degrees (although it is a very old film):

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Cadbury said:

That's a stiff penalty compared to what that little hiso princess got for shoving a van off the overpass and killing night people. She was photographed resting against a barrier and chatting on her phone while bodies of van passengers littered the road below. She was hit with a suspended sentence and 48 hours community service, which on all accounts she did not even bother to turn up for.

Pocket money penalties for road carnage seem the order of the day yet someone poaching parrot fish can be fined 100,000 baht. Something is seriously wrong with the penalty and justice system in Thailand; quite apart from the fact that it is open to corruption. 

She had a surname that was a get out of jail card for anything!

The problem here is no insurance , so someone else is paying the bill .

30k is better than 0 baht  but this is a problem that will never go away.

Proper insurance cost a lot of money and the bus companies will not pay . 

<deleted> bulshit, that’s what that is-hell be driving a bus again in no time ????

Edited by metisdead
8.) You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages, vulgarities, obscenities or profanities.

Life is very cheap in a country where the majority demonstrate a lust for greed, are self-centered plus rude, that tend to pass the buck with lack of respect, uncompassionate, negative and uncaring attitudes, that mainly live life on the edge with lawless, untouchable mindsets, demonstrating that life does not matter and that money comes first, regardless! 

Did the coach/bus have faulty brakes too?!

Yet again more die because of an uncaring, lawless, look at me driver. But it is okay, 'No Problem!' Next victims please!

Edited by Sonhia
Edit
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, webfact said:

driver Pratchaya Wangliangklang, 24

Who the <deleted> put a 24 year old behind the wheel to a vehicle that big and made him responsible for so many lives?!?! 

Life sure is cheap on this side of the world. 

Edited by metisdead
8.) You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages, vulgarities, obscenities or profanities.

7 hours ago, balo said:

The problem here is no insurance , so someone else is paying the bill .

30k is better than 0 baht  but this is a problem that will never go away.

Proper insurance cost a lot of money and the bus companies will not pay . 

Sorry Balo, I have to completely disagree with you on this one. 30k is an absolute insult! That barely covers the cost of the wake, coffin, funeral ceremony, etc. 

The person who offered this sum should be ashamed of themselves. 

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, djayz said:

Who the <deleted> put a 24 year old behind the wheel to a vehicle that big and made him responsible for so many lives?!?! 

Life sure is cheap on this side of the world. 

I passed my heavy goods vehicle driving test at 21....????

17 hours ago, The Theory said:

Changing traffic law with harsher penalties will affect many other things. Then Thailand won’t be a dream spot to many farang who came here to have an easy life. 

Correct, they're already complaining when they (the farangs) get pulled over and fined at a police check for not having a DL or using helmets.