CONFIRMED: Here is exactly what’s needed for retirement & marriage extensions (income method) from 2019

1 minute ago, Nyezhov said:

Of course there isnt anything preventing it. The Embassy is obligated to notarize that which you put in front of them.

Id be happy to do draft an affidavit in Word for someone to fill in and take to the US Embassy. I dont have to worry myself until 2020

Except for the one line they add to their affidavits:

4. The U. S. Embassy does not guarantee the contents of my own sworn statement.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, skatewash said:

Sometimes you have to explain things to people in a way they will understand rather than the way you think they should understand something.  The fact that people are jumping to erroneous conclusions can be explained by two theories:  1) people are really stupid, they don't read, and even if they do read they don't understand, or 2) information is being provided in a really irresponsible way that does nothing to discourage people from jumping to erroneous interpretations.  I'm leaning toward 2 myself, although I don't completely discount 1.

i once did a supervisor school and one of the tasks given was i sat with my back to the class of about 20 and described a drawing of a series of boxes which they had to draw from my description. After i had to look at everyones drawing. Amazing there were probably nearly 20 different drawings from 1 description. Interpretations.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, dickjones2018 said:

can we assume that EXPATS have no obligation to be member of Thaivisa

and info on thaivisa is good for us, but if you are not member, you did not read this  

that the OFFICIAL Thai immigration is not sending us a letter in person by POSTAL MAIL

to inform us from the changes and that their official website is horrible outdated  //

TI didn't need to inform you; Your embassy already did it.

18 minutes ago, alant said:

Thank you for such a helpful and well thought out answer.

Complete Thai Visa Guide for 2019 – Thai Visas, Immigration, & Staying in Thailand

https://www.locationindependent.co.uk/thai-visas-digital-nomad-guide/

Edited by ttrd

12 hours ago, Spidey said:

This is a problem for me. Although I do (and always have done) transfer in excess of 65k baht every month to my Thai bank account, it isn't possible for me to prove that it comes from a foreign source. To do this would be more costly and far less convenient for me.

Then you do not comply.

• Like 1

I went to CM Immig with updated Bangkok Bank savings book showing 800K+, plus bank letter (50baht).  Immig Officer required that i show, or at least explain, where did this money come from. 

My impression is that Immig wants certainty that the money originated outside of Thailand.  So carrying cash in a suitcase from OZ, or USA, and then dumping that into a Thai bank might not be the best idea.

• Like 1

So when was the last time you did that Spidey? 

But if you did, you could get money from your UK bank via TransferWise in about 4 to 5 hours.

Now get realistic. Nobody, other than the super rich maybe, would behaves like that. So this is a very poor example.
i do what spidey does when the rate spikes, its better than Transferwise

9 hours ago, EL159 said:

This whole scenario regarding remittances of at least 65,000 PER MONTH is fraught with illogicality and nonsense. EXAMPLE: My Visa is due in April. In April ( after Visa obtained) I am going back to UK for a couple of weeks. If I bring cash money back with me amounting, say, to £10,000 for living expenses, it will count for NOTHING towards my Visa in 2020? ONLY money transferred via the banking system will count?

This is plain daft!!!

Make the international transfers and reduce the cash carrying.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, sniggie said:

Well, as someone who is likely to be affected by the way Kbank reports Transferwise credits and who, like you, brings cash in on my return from UK visits, I am going to have to accept that I will have to change my financial arrangements from the middle of 2019. There will be a cost, using SWIFT interbank transfers on a monthly basis but that's the way it's probably going to be.  

So are we saying that Transferwise transfers are not acceptable. Even if the bank code is not clear as to their source i could show a copy of the transfer request clearly showing it originated from my UK bank.

Edited by Henryford
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, chingmai331 said:

I went to CM Immig with updated Bangkok Bank savings book showing 800K+, plus bank letter (50baht).  Immig Officer required that i show, or at least explain, where did this money come from. 

My impression is that Immig wants certainty that the money originated outside of Thailand.  So carrying cash in a suitcase from OZ, or USA, and then dumping that into a Thai bank might not be the best idea.

An IO can ask whatever he wants to and deem it necessary, but that is not required by regulation. Was there perhaps some other reason that made him ask, like it being 800k sitting solitary with no transactions in the same account?

3 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

Make the international transfers and reduce the cash carrying.

Why? I can dig into my piggy bank, pull out 9K, convert it once (or twice depending on rates) and live here for 6 months without ever having to deal with my US banks

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Sure. Thats easily solvable. 

5. I understand that False Statements made herein subject me to criminal prosecution under the laws of the United States pursuant to 18 USC 1001

The point is that you're certifying yourself, no one else can verify anything, so its worthless. We should feel lucky the Immigration Office even accepts them...

Edited by ocddave

54 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

I plan to return home once or twice each year and each time bring back $10,000 USD which does not require any reporting or paperwork.  Then on occasion use ATM withdrawals for 20K or 30k baht if needed.  I have no desire to setup nor pay for monthly transfers either

Then you don't comply.

To add to an earlier question I asked can I put 800,000 baht in a sole account, leave it untouched for 3 months prior to my next extension and then transfer it back to our joint account. Living expenses transactions could be shown on our joint account.?

4 hours ago, Spidey said:

I like to wake up in the morning and think, "today I'm going to buy X for 25k baht". If I don't have the full amount in my Thai bank, it only takes me minutes to put the money in my account. I have lost that convenience if I use TransferWise.

Yes, one of the results of this change will be less spending by UK, US, Australian, Danish expats. I know that I started pulling back my spending last November on new things I needed or appliances ready for replacement. Just because I don't know how this is going to shake out. TI might be successful at stuffing some more money into Thai banks, but they will curtail spending, now, as everyone either leaves Thailand, goes to 800K (meaning some will need to cut back spending to get to that amount and hold it for three months prior to extension renewal), or goes to combo (more saving for some; more dead money in the bank for period before renewal). They have shot themselves in the foot.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, logres212 said:

So what I can see from this it has to be a pcm deposit of 40/65000 bhat into a Thai bank account. It cannot be an average of that amount over a 12 month period if making quarterly deposits or if you miss or a bit short one month for example. 

Ask Joe.

9 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Why? I can dig into my piggy bank, pull out 9K, convert it once (or twice depending on rates) and live here for 6 months without ever having to deal with my US banks

It will not show international transfer.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

I really wonder how some people manage to live !

Using embassy letters. I used to dismiss "change is difficult" notion because life is full of changes for survival. It is ingrained in our genes from the time of hunter gatherers. Reading TVF, it convinced me that for some people "change is unacceptable" and "unable to comprehend", hence it must be difficult.

13 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

But you will not be able to use that money towards your Extension fund.

16 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

Yes of course. TI never said they would refuse Embassy Letters. This mess just because a few Embassies apparently overreacted and stopped to provide them. Business as usual for all others. :cool:

Correct and all those who accused folk from the effected 4 countries of cheating should retract their BS!

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, zydeco said:

more dead money in the bank

Money in the bank is not dead money. Banks can loan to Thais and they will happily spend buying cars, appliances, or in Terminal 21. Everybody happy.  

Edited by onera1961

2 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Nope. You arent certifying anyhting, you are swearing. No US Income affidavit was certified before. Dazzle them with footwork

Last line: 

On this __ day of ___, 2019, before me personally appeared Charlie Cheap, who satisfactorily identified himself as being the person named herein, and who swore and certified before me, under criminal penalties for making a false statement under 18 USC 1001, the truth of the matters set forth herein.

Billy Beaurocrat

Consular Officer

If anyone wants to try, I'll write it up for them.

Until this Income Affidavit fiasco, I find that the Immigration Officers seem to accept anything with an MFA sticker slapped on it, so who knows....you might be successful.

can Thai visa or someone tell me if I can still put 800k in the bank for at least 3 months before renewing my retirement visa or do I have to show that I have a pension of at least 65,000 baht per? I only have 35,000 per month from my pension but have over 65,000 baht per month from personal investments each month that can not be sent to Bangkok Bank each month. Thank you