CONFIRMED: Here is exactly what’s needed for retirement & marriage extensions (income method) from 2019

20 hours ago, Kerryd said:

So as previously confirmed (many times) there is NO change to the "money in bank" method !

I think entirely incorrect. This isn't showing what has changed. It's is showing what's required to apply for a retirement visa.

Nowhere does it mention the possibility of 400/800, therefore we must assume that option is no longer available.

If someone has some other documentation showing otherwise or I'm missing something, please reply and correct me.

Edited by happysanook
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Brits who didn't have the means to satisfy TI before, didn't fake their income letters or provide false information to the embassy. It was a lot more difficult than some smart arsed posters have made out. They all, IME, used an agent and will continue to do so, as will, no doubt quite a few new customers.

I like your attitude, very American, "I'm OK, screw you!".

I was thinking more like a HI-SO Thai, the only people who matter are rich people, everyone else is a serf. 

5 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

That's right -- I'd like to visit my ancestral heritage one of these days in England but I've heard it's full of Brits.

You've missed the bus I'm afraid, mostly Asians now.

• Haha 1

My Kasikorn account does not show my UK civil service pension as intl it clearly says on the statement Domestic Money Transfer and a code BNT0000 so it looks as though it is hit and miss with KK depending on which UK bank the money comes from. I am not looking forward to the hassle involved in proving the money source to get the required letter so I may try opening a Bangkok Bank account as most seem to think they are more likely to show intl transfers on statements.

Cant find out what the code BNT stands for so a visit to my local branch may help but I'm not holding my breath.

5 minutes ago, Spidey said:

I like your attitude, very American, "I'm OK, screw you!".

Dude I truly feel bad for guys who have made Thailand their home and cut their ties, and now have more hoops to go through. Just like I feel bad for folks who did the same in Costa Rica and now the crime rate is untenable. Or white farmers in Rhodesia. Or anybody who has made a new life in a foreign country and is now getting <deleted>*d.

But, you leave the West and you takes your chances. As I see it, the financial requirements are not that onerous and there are workarounds as I have indicated. Now consider all this talk about agents: suppose you can't make the grade and use an agent and for some odd reason, like maybe Thailand is trying to clean up its act, your agent gets busted and Immi shows up at your door and you are leaving, tonight. 

To me, thats more of a risk than playing the game.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ocddave said:

I was thinking more like a HI-SO Thai, the only people who matter are rich people, everyone else is a serf. 

I dont see having 25 large as being rich. 

8 minutes ago, Spidey said:
13 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

That's right -- I'd like to visit my ancestral heritage one of these days in England but I've heard it's full of Brits.

You've missed the bus I'm afraid, mostly Asians now

That's OK -- The only Brits I know have been here in Asia, first in pre-handover Hong Kong and now here and that's plenty for me.

But as Mr. Big Joke did not come to me to help formulate the new rules, I'm just going with the flow.

Edited by JLCrab

2 hours ago, kohlenkutscher said:

I have a Euro account and a Baht account with my Thai bank. If I transfer every month from the Euro account 65000 THB to the Baht account, I believe that the 800000 THB regulation would be obsolete. Because all euro deposits come from a foreign account. Or do I think wrong?

It is not "a money transfer from overseas "

So does not satisfy the income rule.

2 hours ago, mlmcleod said:

The ignored portion of these rules is that now every expat utilizing the monthly income method must transfer at least 65K baht to a Thai bank every month

Not every one, there are some Embassies still producing the letters.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Dude I truly feel bad for guys who have made Thailand their home and cut their ties, and now have more hoops to go through. Just like I feel bad for folks who did the same in Costa Rica and now the crime rate is untenable. Or white farmers in Rhodesia. Or anybody who has made a new life in a foreign country and is now getting <deleted>*d.

But, you leave the West and you takes your chances. As I see it, the financial requirements are not that onerous and there are workarounds as I have indicated. Now consider all this talk about agents: suppose you can't make the grade and use an agent and for some odd reason, like maybe Thailand is trying to clean up its act, your agent gets busted and Immi shows up at your door and you are leaving, tonight. 

To me, thats more of a risk than playing the game.

I know of a number of Brits that have been playing the agent game for many years, more years than either of us have been her. They pay 15k and apart from gaming the system the have a completely hassle free means of renewing their visa extensions. Almost worth it just for that.

IMHO, this method will continue unabated, a win for the agents and a win for IO officers. Spoke to one old boy, 2 nights ago, who I have known pretty much since I arrived here. Extension renewal due at the end of January. Went to engage his agent last week, "No problem sir, 15k and your passport please. I'll have your passport back to you in 10 days".

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

// As the person who kind of started this a few days ago with my post on the rule changes //

Your ego is just unbelievable! :tongue::tongue::tongue:

FYI, there were already several threads on the subject running when you started yours,

and there was nothing in your OP that we not already knew on this ThaiVisa forum at this time.

But thanks to make me laugh. :cool:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spidey said:
2 hours ago, Moonlover said:

So really, really be honest. The embassies were forced into an untenable situation by the Thai Immigration's requirement for undoable verification procedures!

1 hour ago, Spidey said:

So why only 4 embassies have stopped producing the letter? Certainly, as far as the British Embassy is concerned, their verification was just as robust as the embassies that continue to produce the letter.

Don't blame TI, they have done their best to accommodate those thrown under the bus by their embassies.

I think this is a case of 'watch this space' Spidey. The 'smart' embassies will have waited until the furore died down and then quietly withdraw the letters without getting any flack.

BTW, I'm not blaming TI for anything. It's their country, their call. They might actually have made a good call on this topic. Let's see what comes tumbling out of the trees.

• Thanks 1

Your ego is just unbelievable! :tongue::tongue::tongue:
FYI, there were already several threads on the subject running when you started yours,
and there was nothing in your OP that we not already knew on this ThaiVisa forum at this time.
But thanks to make me laugh. :cool:
He is truly the special one, without him where would we be now
  • Haha 1

Well, we'll all figure out this pretty soon, one way or the other. I am due for the annual extension dated for I believe March 5th, and I am changing from US Income Affidavit to 400K option using SCB Bank (For Marraige non-immigrant "O"), and all money sent into the account via Transferwise. So I will find out what happens with 400K change, and how Transferwise codes are handled. I am hoping someone else posts before that with similar scenario, will ease my mind, but haven't seen anyone do it yet. Oh, and doing all the paperwork myself, as always, and no agents.

Edited by ocddave

2 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

I think this is a case of 'watch this space' Spidey. The 'smart' embassies will have waited until the furore died down and then quietly withdraw the letters without getting any flack.

BTW, I'm not blaming TI for anything. It's their country, their call. They might actually have made a good call on this topic. Let's see what comes tumbling out of the trees.

No need to watch this space. It's January now, new police orders are out and still make accommodation for embassy letters. If othe embassies were going to rescind their letters, they'd have done it by now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, racyrick said:

Thank you so much Pib for your help. I do have a Bangkok Bank account that I would use to deposit here.

I am only interested in transferring to Thailand to meet the new immigration rules.

As for the change of bank accounts for direct deposit, I do have a few questions.

First I assume I must open a new direct deposit savings account. Is that all I would have to do at my Bangkok Bank branch?

They only show information on what you need to do when you open or just start receiving benefits.

They ask you to fill out a direct deposit sign up form-open a savings account for direct deposit-direct deposit service application-copy of passport and social security card and they send all info to SSA.

SSA has my Thai address as that is the only one I have.

Thanks again so much for your help, time and patience!!

You can open a Bangkok Bank Direct Deposit account at any full service branch.  Then you or the branch need to mail the completed deposit sign-up form to the Manila SSA office.  Plan on it taking a few months before going into affect due to mailing times, how fast Manila inputs the change, cut off dates for the next SS payment, etc.  Personally, I would mail it and also email it to Manila.

11 minutes ago, Spidey said:

I know of a number of Brits that have been playing the agent game for many years, more years than either of us have been her. They pay 15k and apart from gaming the system the have a completely hassle free means of renewing their visa extensions. Almost worth it just for that.

And I note seeing a bunch of Brits that have been here for years who, in the limited conversations I have had with them, often say "Oh I just pay an agent", sitting together in the bars at 8 AM looking bored out of their minds. Just a matter of how one chooses in life the things that one actually can choose.

Edited by JLCrab
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, ocddave said:

I am sure the HI-SO's here would agree with you...

I personally don't hate folks who are successful. I don't hate the poor nor slur the rich.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

And I note seeing a bunch of Brits that have been here for years who, in the limited conversations I have had with them, often say "Oh I just pay an agent", sitting together in the bars at 8 AM looking bored out of their minds. Just a matter of how one chooses in life the things that one actually can choose.

Your Brits are different to mine. Maybe because, unlike you, I don't spend much time in bars and never at 8am. My Brits spend most of their time supporting their families here and ensuring that their children have a more happy and fulfilling life than they otherwise would have done.

Edited by Spidey
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Zack61 said:

In 12 months we’ll all be wiser to what the exact requirements are. No doubt there will be casualties along the way but won’t be the end of the world. I’m sure other options will present themselves. May even be a blessing in disguise for some here. 

Best quote yet 

as the song goes All my bags are packed
I'm ready to go
I'm standin' here outside your door
I hate to wake you up to say goodbye
But the dawn is breakin'
It's early morn
The taxi's waitin'
He's blowin' his horn
Already I'm so lonesome
I could die

28 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Last time was 6 weeks ago. Blew my car engine up, bill = 50k. In the last 12 months, several times, changed my son's school on a whim = 40k. Impromptu trip up country, car hire, hotels, spends, = 30k. And others.

I have to admit that despite having been here 5 years, I still have a tendency to go 'gasp that's a lot' when I see 5 digit numbers. And later I remember that it's less than 1 of my 3 pensions!

Good for you. Enjoy your life. ????

2 minutes ago, Benroon said:

Incase it helps - For those with Kasikorn I just transferred money though Transferwise into my thai account and it shows

on my statement as 

‘Transfer Deposit (Other Bank)’

No mention of international transfer. 

Out of courtesy, when looking at your "Transferwise PDF Receipt" what does it say down near the bottom of the receipt where it shows "Paid Out From?"   What Thailand banking partner did Transferwise use for the final leg of the transfer to your K-bank account?   

Transferwise uses multiple banking partners within Thailand....varies depending on which Thai bank your account is with.

Like below snapshot from a Transferwise transfer I did to my Bangkok Bank account.  In this case TW just transferred funds from its account with its banking partner of Bangkok Bank to my Bangkok Bank account.  Basically all done internally at Bangkok Bank....and the coding/description that appears on my Bangkok Bank account is FTT (Foreign Telegraphic Transfer) and "International Transfer.

image.png.4818328c37a5c74c3bdab5de7ffca95f.png

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

I have to admit that despite having been here 5 years, I still have a tendency to go 'gasp that's a lot' when I see 5 digit numbers. And later I remember that it's less than 1 of my 3 pensions!

Good for you. Enjoy your life. ????

My pension is 6 digits (another one on the way in May). However, I normally Xfer iro 80k at the beginning of the month, which is normally enough for my needs. Sometimes, towards the end of the month, I have an ad hoc expenditure wich the amount remaining in my account doesn't cover. It's helpful, for me, to be able to walk into my Thai bank and walk out with up to 200k in cash.