CONFIRMED: Here is exactly what’s needed for retirement & marriage extensions (income method) from 2019

26 minutes ago, billd766 said:
28 minutes ago, farangx said:

Are these 3 all Swift transactions?  I cannot tell if this TFN05030 is local or international.

Yes they were, as it happened before I moved over to TransferWise.

If it was me and the bank cannot confirm them, I will change bank.

I am curious, is this TFN05030 a valid code?

Edited by farangx

On 1/7/2019 at 5:50 PM, bdenner said:

Been using Baht Smart for some time now for my AUD transfers. My KBank statements shows these funds coming from a variety of sources. eg.

DUMMY BRANCH

Chang Mia Branch

Head Office

Etc

Nothing actually showing an international transfer.

So what now???

KBank say they are unable to show a transfer as International due to the local processing procedure prior to it being credited to your account. Only solution appears to be change to BKB as they are the only one, I think, that does.

36 minutes ago, farangx said:

Why not just risk, TI will let you know when they knock your extension back, if it suits!

59 minutes ago, farangx said:

Since Kbank knew of the intermediary bank(s) because it was a Swift transaction, it means they know this was an international transfer into your account here.  While the codes in your bank book may not reflect as such, the letter should state as such.

Me and my wife went to 2 Kbank branches both don't know what I'm talking about regarding imagration requirments. But they said a letter for 500 baht could take up to 2 to 3 weeks. My wife and I were confused and mentioned their info was to get us to leave. 

Until some kind of format is displayed. They are confused about my question and the importance of us needing statement that refers to 12 international transfer. 

They only know about 400,000 and 800,000 seasoning route

On 1/7/2019 at 6:40 PM, DrTuner said:

Is that as in 65k back to outside Thailand? Remitting in that direction needs extra arrangements with a bank, one of the multitude of reasons I never transfer any more $ here than I immediately need.

You do not have to use your bank as TorFX will do it for less cost.

8 minutes ago, keithet said:

Me and my wife went to 2 Kbank branches both don't know what I'm talking about regarding imagration requirments. But they said a letter for 500 baht could take up to 2 to 3 weeks. My wife and I were confused and mentioned their info was to get us to leave. 

Until some kind of format is displayed. They are confused about my question and the importance of us needing statement that refers to 12 international transfer. 

They only know about 400,000 and 800,000 seasoning route

I would use another bank until Kbank sort themselves out.  But I am sure their head office would know, and their branches may not be equipped for this.

Edited by farangx

On 1/7/2019 at 8:14 PM, Sheryl said:

65k in and then straight out again, all of it, would surely raise questions.

In my mind as well (what do you live on?)

But a portion of it out each month with various draw downs on the rest should be fine.

You can transfer I think up to 15K USD via Dee Money.

You could alternate the 65k bi-monthly with no problem via TorFX. 

On 1/7/2019 at 4:40 PM, ubonjoe said:

It is quite clear in the cover letter it only changes the income option that is why the other options are not mentioned

That makes total sense. Why would they change the deposit requirement? That benefits the nation in terms of inflows and the banks love having money to play with, without having to pay interest. Win, win for all. 

10 minutes ago, farangx said:

I would use another bank until Kbank sort themselves out.  But I am sure their head office would know, and their branches may not be equipped for this.

Yes I plan to and after talking to Bangkok bank they understood what I'm talking about. But they want a work permit or embassy letter. But my US embassy only has blank afadavit form and I'm not sure what info the bank wants. 

1 hour ago, farangx said:

I have no idea if TFN05030 a valid code but that is what is shown on my statement of 18 October 2018.

I live in rural Khampaeng Phet where the next nearest bank is 15 km away. It doesn't matter as I have gone from my providers sending the pension by Swift to my joint account, to them now sending to TW and I do the transfer to my KBank sole account.

From this month it still goes to TW in the UK and then I will do the transfer to my BKK bank account. That is the branch in Khampaeng Phet which is a mere 65 km away.

It is not quite that simple in rural Thailand to change banks as there are physically not a lot of them outside the cities or large towns.

1 hour ago, keithet said:

Yes I plan to and after talking to Bangkok bank they understood what I'm talking about. But they want a work permit or embassy letter. But my US embassy only has blank afadavit form and I'm not sure what info the bank wants. 

I acquired a British Embassy income letter in December in readiness for my extension next month. When I opened a Bangkok Bank account last week they accepted that income letter as the Embassy Letter they require. Just needed my passport, yellow book and that letter to open the account.

• Like 2

Re Post #1321 above, I believe that in banking language Kbank is using s "correspondent bank."  Not unusual.  Don't  worry about it.  Consistent transfers (which would be the easiest to spot on a statement) would be reflected in both your BOA statement and your KBank statement (a couple of days after the money is sent because of processing time.  No need to panic.

Nor do I think you have to worry about  a day early or late regarding transit time.  To keep things simple, do your transfers during the middle of each month.  Anyway, what you are doing is clear enough.  Just don't cut it too close on the currency exchange rate.  You'd go nuts otherwise.

I should add that doing this with Bangkok Bank is a piece of cake.

Edited by Mapguy

It just goes to show that those of you doing a 65k international transfer will find it not straightforward proving it is so. I am just waiting for a poster to say "I got my extension by just transfering 65k in and out of 2 thai bank accounts monthly". I would not be surprised if this is the case. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, keithet said:

Yes I plan to and after talking to Bangkok bank they understood what I'm talking about. But they want a work permit or embassy letter.

In that case a trip to your Kbank's main branch or head office may be necessary.  After you get that letter get the staff to make a copy of it so that next year you can show it to a branch near you to order that for you if they are not aware of it already.

34 minutes ago, farangx said:

In that case a trip to your Kbank's main branch or head office may be necessary.  After you get that letter get the staff to make a copy of it so that next year you can show it to a branch near you to order that for you if they are not aware of it already.

When I did my exstension 17 this Jan last Thursday my wife and I went to Kbank at Changwatana down stairs from imagration and the guy didn't know what I was talking about. Gave us some bs about 500 baht and wait 1 month for a letter that shows monthly deposits  for the year no guarantee that it will show international deposit.  

I just did my exstension using embassy letter And want to try to get clarification from Kbank before I deposit for Feb. I don't want to find out middle of this year that Kbank's middle bank policy won't work. 

But knowing Bangkok bank is fully aware. 

Edited by keithet

1 hour ago, jimn said:

It just goes to show that those of you doing a 65k international transfer will find it not straightforward proving it is so.

I already can so what's the big deal -- no Transferwise SWIFT straight from bank to bank with FTT in the passbook. Already easy to do the 2-6 month statements online which my friendly of 10+ years bank manager will have no problem stamping and signing and has already said if the IMM folks give me any problem:

"Have them call me."

Edited by JLCrab

1 hour ago, keithet said:

I just did my exstension using embassy letter And want to try to get clarification from Kbank before I deposit for Feb. I don't want to find out middle of this year that Kbank's middle bank policy won't work. 

But knowing Bangkok bank is fully aware. 

That should be good for next year.

30 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

I already can so what's the big deal -- no Transferwise SWIFT straight from bank to bank with FTT in the passbook. Already easy to do the 2-6 month statements online which my friendly of 10+ years bank manager will have no problem stamping and signing and has already said if the IMM folks give me any problem:

"Have them call me."

What about the folk that don't have a personal 10+ yr bank manager. Or not using swift. Personally I would bring my money from au to los via carrier pidgin. Seriously as I have previously posted, members on Thaivisa esp JL would/should know most expats here cannot pack their own lunch. Let alone get their head around what's now required. Spend a weekend in a joint like udon and do random research about new changes. Oblivious oblivion.

Edited by DrJack54
Error
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Mapguy said:

Re Post #1321 above, I believe that in banking language Kbank is using s "correspondent bank."  Not unusual.  Don't  worry about it.  Consistent transfers (which would be the easiest to spot on a statement) would be reflected in both your BOA statement and your KBank statement (a couple of days after the money is sent because of processing time.  No need to panic.

Nor do I think you have to worry about  a day early or late regarding transit time.  To keep things simple, do your transfers during the middle of each month.  Anyway, what you are doing is clear enough.  Just don't cut it too close on the currency exchange rate.  You'd go nuts otherwise.

I should add that doing this with Bangkok Bank is a piece of cake.

A small part of the problem for me used to be that when I used the embassy letter ti IO would log on to the BKK bank and use the forex rate of (I think) bank notes.

TW always give a far better rate than any Thai bank.

This month and in the future I will use TW to transfer into my nice new shiny BKK sole account which will show the ACTUAL amount transferred. There will be no embassy letter as my renewal is in August and as I am unable to come up with 800,000 or even 400,000 baht (unless I win the lottery) it will be a change to a marriage extension and the monthly income method.

That WILL be fun, won't it children?

4 hours ago, keithet said:

There was a report earlier of someone using the bank income letter to satisfy Bangkok Bank's requirements.  I think the point is that just about anything you would get from the US Embassy with a pretty stamp on it would be enough.  I have heard that they will accept address verifications.  In other words, you write your name and address on the embassy affidavit and the embassy signs off that you are the person identified in the passport and that you swore that this is your address.  Basically, what the bank is looking for is someone to provide a document that "proves" who you are and an address verification from an embassy checks that box.  Who better to know if you are using a fraudulent passport than the US embassy?  Apparently, address verifications are something the embassy is used to doing so asking for one should be the easier path.

On 1/10/2019 at 10:56 PM, alohatodon2 said:

I am getting conflicting reports on income transferred to a bank in Bankgok in 2019.   First, it was 35,000, then 40,000 and now  65,000 baht.  Which is the actual/real amount under the new law for an unmarried individual?

• Like 1

On 1/11/2019 at 4:56 AM, alohatodon2 said:

I am getting conflicting reports on income transferred to a bank in Bankgok in 2019.   First, it was 35,000, then 40,000 and now  65,000 baht.  Which is the actual/real amount under the new law for an unmarried individual?

There is no new law. The amount you need to transfer to Thailand if you are applying for an extension as a retiree is 65K, whether or not you are married.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

So your in boom docks, with clearly long time in los, and stating how easy you can meet new changes. Must make you feel warm and happy. 

Yes it does -- it so happens the way I decided to establish myself in Thailand after working many years in Asia dovetails nicely with the new regs.

But I didn't write the new regs. If some may not so easily comply with the new regs I'll sympathize, at least for some, but solving everyone's circumstance is not my problem. There have already been on here 101 things that the IMM folks could have or should have done differently and so what?

Edited by JLCrab
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

KBank say they are unable to show a transfer as International due to the local processing procedure prior to it being credited to your account. Only solution appears to be change to BKB as they are the only one, I think, that does.
Kasikorn must know when its Intl though otherwise how can they issue an FET for condo purchases?

9 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

Yes it does -- it so happens way I decided to establish myself in Thailand after working many years in Asia dovetails nicely with the new regs.

But I didn't write the new regs. If some may not so easily comply with the new regs I'll sympathize, at least for some, but solving everyone's circumstance is not my problem. There have already been on here 101 things that the IMM folks could have or should have done differently and so what?

Good point. So you post how you have it all covered esp with your 10+ bank manager. Geezus. Most self serving poster on TV. 

Here is the point. I use bank deposit method 800k. So what. I went to my bank in bkk to discuss/ask about what will happen going forward with what banks are aware of to assist members using income method. So far its confusing. Perhaps that's why there is 90 pages. Possibly if the posts from #ankers where removed it would be more simple. Very easy to take pot shots from high horse.

Edited by DrJack54
Error
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

Like I said -- I didn't write the rules. If you think that's taking pot shots at those in a quandary, that's your take.

So to make it crystal. If I for example had an elite visa, then I can come onto members forum that is discussing problems surrounding recent changes....and post what.."I have an elite visa, suffer mugs". Or modified... I have "friendly bank manger 10+ yr"

Is that a joke.  Annoy another thread.

• Like 2